lost password - SGI

This is a discussion on lost password - SGI ; Hello, Is there a way to recover lost root passwords in SGI. Bootable media, utitilies, etc? thanks....

  1. lost password

    Hello,
    Is there a way to recover lost root passwords in SGI.
    Bootable media, utitilies, etc?

    thanks.

  2. Re: lost password

    In article <35bd7195-046c-45bc-abdb-537d07a333c4@1g2000hsl.googlegroups.com>,
    wrote:
    >Hello,
    >Is there a way to recover lost root passwords in SGI.
    >Bootable media, utitilies, etc?

    Yes, you can do a miniroot boot, mount the root filesystem in read/write
    mode, and edit the /etc/passwd file.

    >thanks.

    You can find a lot of useful information about working with and maintaining
    SGI systems here:

    http://www.futuretech.blinkenlights.nl/sgi.html

    Gary

    --
    Gary Heston gheston@hiwaay.net http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

    Yoko Onos' former driver tried to extort $2M from her, threating to
    "release embarassing recordings...". What, he has a copy of her album?

  3. Re: lost password

    gheston@hiwaay.net (Gary Heston) spake the secret code
    <13p047p63n9aked@corp.supernews.com> thusly:

    >In article <35bd7195-046c-45bc-abdb-537d07a333c4@1g2000hsl.googlegroups.com>,
    > wrote:
    >>Hello,
    >>Is there a way to recover lost root passwords in SGI.
    >>Bootable media, utitilies, etc?

    >Yes, you can do a miniroot boot, mount the root filesystem in read/write
    >mode, and edit the /etc/passwd file.

    I was able to do this myself just recently with an OS install CD-ROM.
    (I had to get a working CD-ROM for the SGI and then hunt down some
    caddies, but now that I have everything, it works.)

    One odd problem I ran into is that one of the machines I have is
    getting a failed diagnostic about memory not starting in the first
    slot. This machine would not load the miniroot from the CD-ROM, so I
    had to use a different machine to nuke the root password from the hard
    drive.

    Legalize Adulthood!

  4. Re: lost password

    thank you, going to give this a shot.