Non-recoverable failure in name resolution - SGI

This is a discussion on Non-recoverable failure in name resolution - SGI ; Hello, Octane, IRIX O/S 6.5.23 CPU's 2 225 MHz MIPS R10000(IP30) LAN access OK Ethernet only via IP # or if listed in /etc/hosts file nslookkup OK But attempting to http://. .. => error msg above Single internet interface 'ef0' ...

  1. Non-recoverable failure in name resolution

    Hello,

    Octane, IRIX O/S 6.5.23 CPU's 2 225 MHz MIPS R10000(IP30)

    LAN access OK
    Ethernet only via IP # or if listed in /etc/hosts file
    nslookkup OK

    But attempting to http://... => error msg above

    Single internet interface 'ef0' on machine
    shouldn't it be Ethernet ec0 ?
    if so how can I change the designation? It is unchangeable from the
    Toolchest >'System' GUI

    hinv -c network =>
    Integral Fast Ethernet:ef0, version 1, pci 2
    Is this the default for the Octane?
    (seems sort of odd, could the network controller be playing tricks)

    Thanks

    -- Adam --

  2. Re: Non-recoverable failure in name resolution

    Adam Smith schrieb:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Octane, IRIX O/S 6.5.23 CPU's 2 225 MHz MIPS R10000(IP30)
    >
    > LAN access OK
    > Ethernet only via IP # or if listed in /etc/hosts file
    > nslookkup OK
    >
    > But attempting to http://... => error msg above

    Never use a GUI Apps to determine betworks problems

    Setup etc/resolv.conf and modify /etc/nsswitch.conf to change the
    "hosts" order to "files, dns"

    After than
    /etc/init.d/network stop
    /etc/init.d/network start

    Try a "ping 72.14.207.99" and if its work a "ping google.com". Sometimes
    when resolving of a NAME get failed the result is cached. Then a
    "nsadmin clean" or better "nsadmin restart" is needed.

    Now restart your GUI.

    > Single internet interface 'ef0' on machine
    > shouldn't it be Ethernet ec0 ?

    No, ef0 is the name for the 100mbit fastethernet nic in origins/onxy2/o2
    and octanes. The ec0 can be found in indy and indigo2 machines.

    > if so how can I change the designation? It is unchangeable from the
    > Toolchest >'System' GUI

    It have only this name.

    > hinv -c network =>
    > Integral Fast Ethernet:ef0, version 1, pci 2
    > Is this the default for the Octane?

    Yes it is.

    > (seems sort of odd, could the network controller be playing tricks)

    Additional configuration if the ef0 is possible in
    "/etc/config/ifconfig-1.options"

    regards
    Joerg

    --
    TakeNet GmbH, Geschaeftsfuehrer Wolfgang Meier
    97080 Wuerzburg Tel: +49 931 903-2243

  3. Re: Non-recoverable failure in name resolution

    Adam Smith schrieb:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Octane, IRIX O/S 6.5.23 CPU's 2 225 MHz MIPS R10000(IP30)
    >
    > LAN access OK
    > Ethernet only via IP # or if listed in /etc/hosts file
    > nslookkup OK
    >
    > But attempting to http://... => error msg above

    Never use a GUI Apps to determine betworks problems

    Setup etc/resolv.conf and modify /etc/nsswitch.conf to change the
    "hosts" order to "files, dns"

    After than
    /etc/init.d/network stop
    /etc/init.d/network start

    Try a "ping 72.14.207.99" and if its work a "ping google.com". Sometimes
    when resolving of a NAME get failed the result is cached. Then a
    "nsadmin clean" or better "nsadmin restart" is needed.

    Now restart your GUI.

    > Single internet interface 'ef0' on machine
    > shouldn't it be Ethernet ec0 ?

    No, ef0 is the name for the 100mbit fastethernet nic in origins/onxy2/o2
    and octanes. The ec0 can be found in indy and indigo2 machines.

    > if so how can I change the designation? It is unchangeable from the
    > Toolchest >'System' GUI

    It have only this name.

    > hinv -c network =>
    > Integral Fast Ethernet:ef0, version 1, pci 2
    > Is this the default for the Octane?

    Yes it is.

    > (seems sort of odd, could the network controller be playing tricks)

    Additional configuration if the ef0 is possible in
    "/etc/config/ifconfig-1.options"

    regards
    Joerg

    --
    TakeNet GmbH, Geschaeftsfuehrer Wolfgang Meier
    97080 Wuerzburg Tel: +49 931 903-2243
    Alfred-Nobel-Straße 20 Fax: +49 931 903-3025
    HRB Wuerzburg 6940 http://www.takenet.de

  4. Re: Non-recoverable failure in name resolution

    Joerg Behrens wrote:

    > Never use a GUI Apps to determine betworks problems

    Thanks Joerg, it worked. Re the admonition above a truer statement was
    never said. There was a clear discrepancy between the GUI an the actual
    file content re: 'file dns' sequence on GUI and 'file nis' in config file.
    Thanks again

  5. Re: Non-recoverable failure in name resolution

    Joerg Behrens wrote:

    > Never use a GUI Apps to determine betworks problems

    Thanks Joerg, it worked. Re the admonition above a truer statement was
    never said. There was a clear discrepancy between the GUI an the actual
    file content re: 'file dns' sequence on GUI and 'file nis' in config file.
    Thanks again

+ Reply to Thread