Partial Network failure - SGI

This is a discussion on Partial Network failure - SGI ; Hello, I am experiencing a partial network failure on my network which consists of several SGI's, PC's, FreeBSD's and Mac's, but only the SGI's are affected. They cannot ping or be pinged in the LAN. On a reboot they are ...

  1. Partial Network failure

    Hello,

    I am experiencing a partial network failure on my network which consists
    of several SGI's, PC's, FreeBSD's and Mac's, but only the SGI's are
    affected. They cannot ping or be pinged in the LAN. On a reboot they are
    operable for about 15 minutes before going down.

    Hope someone with a solution sees this

    Thanks

    -- Adam --

  2. Re: Partial Network failure

    In article ,
    Adam Smith wrote:
    >I am experiencing a partial network failure on my network which consists
    >of several SGI's, PC's, FreeBSD's and Mac's, but only the SGI's are
    >affected. They cannot ping or be pinged in the LAN. On a reboot they are
    >operable for about 15 minutes before going down.

    Are they on a different subnet? If so then that sounds as if they might
    not have a default route.

  3. Re: Partial Network failure

    In article ,
    Adam Smith wrote:
    >I am experiencing a partial network failure on my network which consists
    >of several SGI's, PC's, FreeBSD's and Mac's, but only the SGI's are
    >affected. They cannot ping or be pinged in the LAN. On a reboot they are
    >operable for about 15 minutes before going down.

    Are they on a different subnet? If so then that sounds as if they might
    not have a default route.

  4. Re: Partial Network failure

    Walter Roberson wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Adam Smith wrote:
    >> I am experiencing a partial network failure on my network which consists
    >> of several SGI's, PC's, FreeBSD's and Mac's, but only the SGI's are
    >> affected. They cannot ping or be pinged in the LAN. On a reboot they are
    >> operable for about 15 minutes before going down.

    > Are they on a different subnet? If so then that sounds as if they might
    > not have a default route.

    This is what we addressed first, the ifconfig for each machine was and
    did set an explicit default route in
    /etc/config/static-route.options
    => Added explicit default net to route
    line added => route -n add -net default 192.168.2.1 -hopcount 1
    ----------------------------------

    machone 24# ifconfig -a
    ec0: flags=400c43
    lo0: flags=1849
    inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000

    and ----------------

    machtwo 24# ifconfig -a
    ef0:
    flags=8415c43
    inet 192.168.2.14 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.2.255
    lo0: flags=8001849
    inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000

    netstat -in
    machone =>

    Name Mtu Network Address Ipkts Ierrs Opkts Oerrs
    Coll
    ec0 1500 192.168.2 192.168.2.5 313 0 324 0
    0
    lo0 8304 127 127.0.0.1 17845 0 17845 0
    0

    and ----------------
    machtwo =>

    Name Mtu Network Address Ipkts Ierrs Opkts
    Oerrs Coll
    ef0 1500 192.168.2 192.168.2.14 204 0 653
    0 0
    lo0 32992 127 127.0.0.1 16762 0 16762
    0 0
    ----------------------------------

    However I have just noticed that the
    eoe.sw.tcp package is missing from the installation.
    aren't these supposed to be present for the
    IRIX 6.5 6.5.16f
    IRIX64 6.5 6.5.23m
    distro.

    Thanks

  5. Re: Partial Network failure

    Walter Roberson wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Adam Smith wrote:
    >> I am experiencing a partial network failure on my network which consists
    >> of several SGI's, PC's, FreeBSD's and Mac's, but only the SGI's are
    >> affected. They cannot ping or be pinged in the LAN. On a reboot they are
    >> operable for about 15 minutes before going down.

    > Are they on a different subnet? If so then that sounds as if they might
    > not have a default route.

    This is what we addressed first, the ifconfig for each machine was and
    did set an explicit default route in
    /etc/config/static-route.options
    => Added explicit default net to route
    line added => route -n add -net default 192.168.2.1 -hopcount 1
    ----------------------------------

    machone 24# ifconfig -a
    ec0: flags=400c43
    lo0: flags=1849
    inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000

    and ----------------

    machtwo 24# ifconfig -a
    ef0:
    flags=8415c43
    inet 192.168.2.14 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.2.255
    lo0: flags=8001849
    inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000

    netstat -in
    machone =>

    Name Mtu Network Address Ipkts Ierrs Opkts Oerrs
    Coll
    ec0 1500 192.168.2 192.168.2.5 313 0 324 0
    0
    lo0 8304 127 127.0.0.1 17845 0 17845 0
    0

    and ----------------
    machtwo =>

    Name Mtu Network Address Ipkts Ierrs Opkts
    Oerrs Coll
    ef0 1500 192.168.2 192.168.2.14 204 0 653
    0 0
    lo0 32992 127 127.0.0.1 16762 0 16762
    0 0
    ----------------------------------

    However I have just noticed that the
    eoe.sw.tcp package is missing from the installation.
    aren't these supposed to be present for the
    IRIX 6.5 6.5.16f
    IRIX64 6.5 6.5.23m
    distro.

    Thanks

  6. Re: Partial Network failure

    In article ,
    Adam Smith wrote:
    >Hello,

    >I am experiencing a partial network failure on my network which consists
    >of several SGI's, PC's, FreeBSD's and Mac's, but only the SGI's are
    >affected. They cannot ping or be pinged in the LAN. On a reboot they are
    >operable for about 15 minutes before going down.

    >Hope someone with a solution sees this

    Once the problem occurs, can they ping each other?

    Can you be mre descriptive about the topology--is this a switched LAN,
    several LANs routed, are the SGIs on their own network, is there anything
    else on the LAN with them?

    Have you compared ARP tables before/after the problem occurs? That could
    show a "rogue gateway" with the same address as the real one. I've run
    into that before; causes wierd problems.

    Are network configurations static or via DHCP?

    Gary

    --
    Gary Heston gheston@hiwaay.net http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

    Yoko Onos' former driver tried to extort $2M from her, threating to
    "release embarassing recordings...". What, he has a copy of her album?

  7. Re: Partial Network failure

    In article ,
    Adam Smith wrote:
    >Hello,

    >I am experiencing a partial network failure on my network which consists
    >of several SGI's, PC's, FreeBSD's and Mac's, but only the SGI's are
    >affected. They cannot ping or be pinged in the LAN. On a reboot they are
    >operable for about 15 minutes before going down.

    >Hope someone with a solution sees this

    Once the problem occurs, can they ping each other?

    Can you be mre descriptive about the topology--is this a switched LAN,
    several LANs routed, are the SGIs on their own network, is there anything
    else on the LAN with them?

    Have you compared ARP tables before/after the problem occurs? That could
    show a "rogue gateway" with the same address as the real one. I've run
    into that before; causes wierd problems.

    Are network configurations static or via DHCP?

    Gary

    --
    Gary Heston gheston@hiwaay.net http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

    Yoko Onos' former driver tried to extort $2M from her, threating to
    "release embarassing recordings...". What, he has a copy of her album?

  8. Re: Partial Network failure

    Gary Heston wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Adam Smith wrote:
    >> Hello,

    >> I am experiencing a partial network failure on my network which consists
    >> of several SGI's, PC's, FreeBSD's and Mac's, but only the SGI's are
    >> affected. They cannot ping or be pinged in the LAN. On a reboot they are
    >> operable for about 15 minutes before going down.

    >> Hope someone with a solution sees this

    > Once the problem occurs, can they ping each other?

    No they can't
    Usually => "No route to host" but PC's and FreeBSD can ping each other

    > Can you be mre descriptive about the topology--is this a switched LAN,
    > several LANs routed, are the SGIs on their own network, is there anything
    > else on the LAN with them?

    Topology - DSL ==> Modem ==> Router ===> 16 port Hub/Switch
    Gateway is configured in Router as 192.168.2.1
    Switched
    Single LAN
    Mixed network 2 SGI's, 1 FreeBSD, 1 Mac and 3 PC's

    > Have you compared ARP tables before/after the problem occurs? That could
    > show a "rogue gateway" with the same address as the real one.

    > I've run
    > into that before; causes wierd problems.

    Weird indeed, the fact that you have experienced this before is a bit
    reassuring to me, in that I am no longer doubting my sanity

    mach2 4% arp -n mach1
    mach1 (192.168.2.5 --no entry
    mach2 5% arp -n mach2
    mach2 (192.168.2.14 --no entry

    > Are network configurations static or via DHCP?

    Static IP

    mach2 9% traceroute mach1
    traceroute to mach1 (192.168.2.5), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
    1 traceroute: send_ipv4: sendto: No route to host
    mach2 10%

    From mach1

    traceroute to mach2 (192.168.2.14), 30 hops max, 40 byte packets
    sendto: No route to host

    rup => shows machines on network

    ifconfig -a output

    machtwo ==>
    ifconfig -a
    ef0:
    flags=8415c43
    inet 192.168.2.14 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.2.255
    lo0: flags=8001849
    inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000

    machone ==>
    ifconfig -a
    ef0: flags=400c43
    lo0: flags=1849
    inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000

    Thanks!

    > Gary

  9. Re: Partial Network failure

    Gary Heston wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Adam Smith wrote:
    >> Hello,

    >> I am experiencing a partial network failure on my network which consists
    >> of several SGI's, PC's, FreeBSD's and Mac's, but only the SGI's are
    >> affected. They cannot ping or be pinged in the LAN. On a reboot they are
    >> operable for about 15 minutes before going down.

    >> Hope someone with a solution sees this

    > Once the problem occurs, can they ping each other?

    No they can't
    Usually => "No route to host" but PC's and FreeBSD can ping each other

    > Can you be mre descriptive about the topology--is this a switched LAN,
    > several LANs routed, are the SGIs on their own network, is there anything
    > else on the LAN with them?

    Topology - DSL ==> Modem ==> Router ===> 16 port Hub/Switch
    Gateway is configured in Router as 192.168.2.1
    Switched
    Single LAN
    Mixed network 2 SGI's, 1 FreeBSD, 1 Mac and 3 PC's

    > Have you compared ARP tables before/after the problem occurs? That could
    > show a "rogue gateway" with the same address as the real one.

    > I've run
    > into that before; causes wierd problems.

    Weird indeed, the fact that you have experienced this before is a bit
    reassuring to me, in that I am no longer doubting my sanity

    mach2 4% arp -n mach1
    mach1 (192.168.2.5 --no entry
    mach2 5% arp -n mach2
    mach2 (192.168.2.14 --no entry

    > Are network configurations static or via DHCP?

    Static IP

    mach2 9% traceroute mach1
    traceroute to mach1 (192.168.2.5), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
    1 traceroute: send_ipv4: sendto: No route to host
    mach2 10%

    From mach1

    traceroute to mach2 (192.168.2.14), 30 hops max, 40 byte packets
    sendto: No route to host

    rup => shows machines on network

    ifconfig -a output

    machtwo ==>
    ifconfig -a
    ef0:
    flags=8415c43
    inet 192.168.2.14 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.2.255
    lo0: flags=8001849
    inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000

    machone ==>
    ifconfig -a
    ef0: flags=400c43
    lo0: flags=1849
    inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000

    Thanks!

    > Gary

  10. Re: Partial Network failure

    Gary Heston wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Adam Smith wrote:
    >> Hello,

    > I've run into that before; causes wierd problems.

    How did you solve your problem ?

    > Gary

  11. Re: Partial Network failure

    Gary Heston wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Adam Smith wrote:
    >> Hello,

    > I've run into that before; causes wierd problems.

    How did you solve your problem ?

    > Gary

  12. Re: Partial Network failure

    In article ,
    Adam Smith wrote:
    >Gary Heston wrote:
    >> In article ,
    >> Adam Smith wrote:
    >>> Hello,

    [ rogue gateway ]
    >> I've run into that before; causes wierd problems.

    >How did you solve your problem ?

    Check the arp table every few minutes and if the MAC address
    for the gateway changes when things stop working, note the
    new MAC address, then start looking for a piece of equipment
    that has that MAC.

    In your situation, get before and after output from ifconfig
    and the route tables on the affected systems and compare them;
    perhaps something will show up.

    Gary

    --
    Gary Heston gheston@hiwaay.net http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

    Yoko Onos' former driver tried to extort $2M from her, threating to
    "release embarassing recordings...". What, he has a copy of her album?

  13. Re: Partial Network failure

    In article ,
    Adam Smith wrote:
    >Gary Heston wrote:
    >> In article ,
    >> Adam Smith wrote:
    >>> Hello,

    [ rogue gateway ]
    >> I've run into that before; causes wierd problems.

    >How did you solve your problem ?

    Check the arp table every few minutes and if the MAC address
    for the gateway changes when things stop working, note the
    new MAC address, then start looking for a piece of equipment
    that has that MAC.

    In your situation, get before and after output from ifconfig
    and the route tables on the affected systems and compare them;
    perhaps something will show up.

    Gary

    --
    Gary Heston gheston@hiwaay.net http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

    Yoko Onos' former driver tried to extort $2M from her, threating to
    "release embarassing recordings...". What, he has a copy of her album?

  14. Re: Partial Network failure

    Gary Heston wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Adam Smith wrote:
    >> Gary Heston wrote:

    > [ rogue gateway ]
    >>> I've run into that before; causes wierd problems.

    >> How did you solve your problem ?

    > Check the arp table every few minutes and if the MAC address
    > for the gateway changes when things stop working, note the
    > new MAC address, then start looking for a piece of equipment
    > that has that MAC.
    >
    > In your situation, get before and after output from ifconfig
    > and the route tables on the affected systems and compare them;
    > perhaps something will show up.
    >

    > Gary

    Just decided to rebuild the network and settings, that worked, NFS
    drives and ping capabilities appeared. One problem appeared however,
    that I think is minor but the man pages aren't too clear. Followed
    instructions to use command 'proclaim' after set up and promptly broke
    one of the NFS connections. 'proclaim' does an automatic DHCP config, I
    use static IP throughout my system and can't figure out how to reverse
    this. Tried dropping the lease but this did not seem to help.

    Any suggestions?

    -- Adam --

  15. Re: Partial Network failure

    Gary Heston wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Adam Smith wrote:
    >> Gary Heston wrote:

    > [ rogue gateway ]
    >>> I've run into that before; causes wierd problems.

    >> How did you solve your problem ?

    > Check the arp table every few minutes and if the MAC address
    > for the gateway changes when things stop working, note the
    > new MAC address, then start looking for a piece of equipment
    > that has that MAC.
    >
    > In your situation, get before and after output from ifconfig
    > and the route tables on the affected systems and compare them;
    > perhaps something will show up.
    >

    > Gary

    Just decided to rebuild the network and settings, that worked, NFS
    drives and ping capabilities appeared. One problem appeared however,
    that I think is minor but the man pages aren't too clear. Followed
    instructions to use command 'proclaim' after set up and promptly broke
    one of the NFS connections. 'proclaim' does an automatic DHCP config, I
    use static IP throughout my system and can't figure out how to reverse
    this. Tried dropping the lease but this did not seem to help.

    Any suggestions?

    -- Adam --

  16. Re: Partial Network failure

    In article ,
    Adam Smith wrote:
    [ ... ]
    >Just decided to rebuild the network and settings, that worked, NFS
    >drives and ping capabilities appeared. One problem appeared however,
    >that I think is minor but the man pages aren't too clear. Followed
    >instructions to use command 'proclaim' after set up and promptly broke
    >one of the NFS connections. 'proclaim' does an automatic DHCP config, I
    >use static IP throughout my system and can't figure out how to reverse
    >this. Tried dropping the lease but this did not seem to help.

    >Any suggestions?

    Based upon a quick look at:

    http://techpubs.sgi.com/library/tpl/...at1/proclaim.z

    you may need to change the NVRAM netaddr variable. Proclaim updates it,
    and you can probably determine what it should contain by looking at your
    other SGI system.

    Gary

    --
    Gary Heston gheston@hiwaay.net http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

    Yoko Onos' former driver tried to extort $2M from her, threating to
    "release embarassing recordings...". What, he has a copy of her album?

  17. Re: Partial Network failure

    In article ,
    Adam Smith wrote:
    [ ... ]
    >Just decided to rebuild the network and settings, that worked, NFS
    >drives and ping capabilities appeared. One problem appeared however,
    >that I think is minor but the man pages aren't too clear. Followed
    >instructions to use command 'proclaim' after set up and promptly broke
    >one of the NFS connections. 'proclaim' does an automatic DHCP config, I
    >use static IP throughout my system and can't figure out how to reverse
    >this. Tried dropping the lease but this did not seem to help.

    >Any suggestions?

    Based upon a quick look at:

    http://techpubs.sgi.com/library/tpl/...at1/proclaim.z

    you may need to change the NVRAM netaddr variable. Proclaim updates it,
    and you can probably determine what it should contain by looking at your
    other SGI system.

    Gary

    --
    Gary Heston gheston@hiwaay.net http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

    Yoko Onos' former driver tried to extort $2M from her, threating to
    "release embarassing recordings...". What, he has a copy of her album?

+ Reply to Thread