Diskless Indy's? - SGI

This is a discussion on Diskless Indy's? - SGI ; Hi Everyone, I recently acquired a bunch of SGI Indy's. I also acquired a set of SGI Irix 6.5 CDs. Unfortunately, none of the systems came with a CD- ROM or hard drives and acquiring the drives is probably more ...

  1. Diskless Indy's?

    Hi Everyone,

    I recently acquired a bunch of SGI Indy's. I also acquired a set of
    SGI Irix 6.5 CDs. Unfortunately, none of the systems came with a CD-
    ROM or hard drives and acquiring the drives is probably more trouble
    than its worth.

    I was wondering if and how I can setup the Indy's to operate without
    hard drives. I believe the term is diskless. I've read about running
    diskless off a SGI server using bootp but I don't have access to any
    other SGI computers. I'm hoping to be able to do this from a Dell
    server with either a BSD/Linux variant or maybe even Solaris x86.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Mike

  2. Re: Diskless Indy's?

    In article <1193185338.533246.151210@q3g2000prf.googlegroups.c om>,
    MikeC wrote:
    >Hi Everyone,

    >I recently acquired a bunch of SGI Indy's. I also acquired a set of
    >SGI Irix 6.5 CDs. Unfortunately, none of the systems came with a CD-
    >ROM or hard drives and acquiring the drives is probably more trouble
    >than its worth.

    >I was wondering if and how I can setup the Indy's to operate without
    >hard drives. I believe the term is diskless. I've read about running
    >diskless off a SGI server using bootp but I don't have access to any
    >other SGI computers. I'm hoping to be able to do this from a Dell
    >server with either a BSD/Linux variant or maybe even Solaris x86.

    >Any help would be appreciated.

    You can install a drive in one of the Indys and use it as a server.

    Surplus SCSI drives are fairly inexpensive; you can get by with a
    9GB drive, IRIX is quite efficient. Your Dell should be able to share
    the IRIX CDs as images or NFS directories for the install.

    You will find a lot of useful information here:

    http://www.futuretech.blinkenlights.nl/sgi.html

    Gary

    --
    Gary Heston gheston@hiwaay.net http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

    Yoko Onos' former driver tried to extort $2M from her, threating to
    "release embarassing recordings...". What, he has a copy of her album?

  3. Re: Diskless Indy's?

    mc> I was wondering if and how I can setup the Indy's to operate without
    mc> hard drives. I believe the term is diskless. I've read about running
    mc> diskless off a SGI server using bootp but I don't have access to any
    mc> other SGI computers. I'm hoping to be able to do this from a Dell
    mc> server with either a BSD/Linux variant or maybe even Solaris x86.
    You will need a bootp, bootparams rpc service and nfs server to run
    Irix diskless, root filesystem is always mounted using NFS version 2,
    the rest can use NFS v3. The procedure is explained in Diskless Workstation
    Administration Guide on techpubs.sgi.com, just search for it.

    Your biggest problem will be bootstrapping the first diskless tree -
    you will need to run inst to do that and that assumes you have a
    working version of Irix. Next is bootparam rpc server - I don't think
    Sun ever released it into opensource.

    I'd follow Gary's suggestion and get at least a single disk drive to
    start with, then you can use that to run bootparam as well as getting
    yourself a working version of Irix.

    max

+ Reply to Thread