what products to use for removing scratches? - SGI

This is a discussion on what products to use for removing scratches? - SGI ; The O2 I picked up is badly scratched... I was able to practically remove the minor scratches using olive oil (thanks El Irixer for the tip), but it won't do anything for the ones done with razor blades or ice ...

  1. what products to use for removing scratches?

    The O2 I picked up is badly scratched...

    I was able to practically remove the minor scratches using olive oil (thanks El Irixer for the tip), but it won't do anything for the ones done with razor blades or ice skates (still don't understand what people do with their computers to get the skins in such a bad shape!).

    I was wondering what kind of products people were using for the bad, deep scratches...

  2. Re: what products to use for removing scratches?

    "UNIX Musuem" wrote in message
    news:20040307132258.77dc7bc0.unixmuseum@verizon.co m...
    > The O2 I picked up is badly scratched...
    >
    > I was able to practically remove the minor scratches using olive oil

    (thanks El Irixer for the tip), but it won't do anything for the ones done
    with razor blades or ice skates (still don't understand what people do with
    their computers to get the skins in such a bad shape!).

    > I was wondering what kind of products people were using for the bad, deep

    scratches...

    Well, sandpaper. Don't laugh. I don't mean the 80 grit stuff you use
    to remove paint. Grits up to 2000 are easily available in most auto parts
    stores -- paint shops use them for smoothing finishes. If you really want
    it to shine, you can follow up with a good polish.

    BUT ... for the anal purists, there are "polishing" materials that I've
    used to repair clear plastic to good-as-new condition. In sandpaper terms
    their grits run from 2.4K to 12K, but I doubt you want to go to that much
    trouble.

    Norm

  3. Re: what products to use for removing scratches?

    UNIX Musuem wrote:

    > The O2 I picked up is badly scratched...
    >
    > I was able to practically remove the minor scratches using olive oil (thanks El Irixer for the tip), but it won't do anything for the ones done with razor blades or ice skates (still don't understand what people do with their computers to get the skins in such a bad shape!).

    stacking them on a pallet.

    > I was wondering what kind of products people were using for the bad, deep scratches...

    i use a burned out light bulb, and a dark corner. another simple solution is to
    use your computer by looking at the screen instead of the case.

  4. Re: what products to use for removing scratches?

    On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 22:25:05 GMT
    SkyWriter wrote:

    > UNIX Musuem wrote:
    >
    > > The O2 I picked up is badly scratched...
    > >
    > > I was able to practically remove the minor scratches using olive oil (thanks El Irixer for the tip), but it won't do anything for the ones done with razor blades or ice skates (still don't understand what people do with their computers to get the skins in such a bad shape!).

    > stacking them on a pallet.
    >

    > > I was wondering what kind of products people were using for the bad, deep scratches...

    > i use a burned out light bulb, and a dark corner. another simple solution is to
    > use your computer by looking at the screen instead of the case.

    Thanks for the suggestions Skywriter, wouldn't expect anything else from you...

    So, if I follow you well, the Industrial Design effort put in the sgi workstations is a complete waste as most people take the skins off?
    I just happen to like the looks of sgi, that has nothing to do with what I use them for, but nonetheless, that is part of the sgi experience... Same principle applies to UI then, why bother with Indigo magic since everything is available in a shell?

    When the computer is sitting next to the screen on a desk, which is very likely with an O2 (even in your trailer you could do it, smarty pants), and looks like it's been tortured by the Hezbolla, it puts a "sloppy" label on a company...

+ Reply to Thread