Setting up an Indy with DHCP and cable modem?... - SGI

This is a discussion on Setting up an Indy with DHCP and cable modem?... - SGI ; Dear All, Has anyone successfully been able to setup an IRIX system running 6.5.x with a cable modem on DHCP? If so, what procedure did you use? I have followed the advice given in the 'Cable Modem Howto' (as linked ...

  1. Setting up an Indy with DHCP and cable modem?...

    Dear All,

    Has anyone successfully been able to setup an IRIX system running
    6.5.x with a cable modem on DHCP? If so, what procedure did you
    use? I have followed the advice given in the 'Cable Modem Howto'
    (as linked from my site) but I still get a network unreachable
    error. Any ideas?

    Assuming a default /etc/hosts, should one need to manually add
    anything to the file after going through the system manager
    changes? I found after a reboot that the host name was still
    IRIS, even though I'd set it to be 'fire', as re the procedures
    in the cable modem guide.

    I'm using an Indy with 6.5.17m, connecting to a Motorola SB4200
    cable modem (Teleweat Blueyonder service).

    I've searched the archives but couldn't find anything enlightening.

    Cheers!

    Ian.

    SGI Depot: http://www.futuretech.blinkenlights.nl/advert/ian.html
    Email: mapesdhs@yahoo.com
    Backup email (send copy to this too): im011f3554@blueyonder.co.uk
    Home: +44 (0)131 477 1142 (best to call this number first)
    Mobile: 07743 495403 (usually off; leave a message and I'll call back)

    SGI/Future Technology/N64: http://www.futuretech.blinkenlights.nl/
    Doom Help Service (DHS): http://www.gamers.org/dhs/

  2. Re: Setting up an Indy with DHCP and cable modem?...

    Ian Mapleson wrote:

    > Dear All,
    >
    > Has anyone successfully been able to setup an IRIX system running
    > 6.5.x with a cable modem on DHCP? If so, what procedure did you
    > use? I have followed the advice given in the 'Cable Modem Howto'
    > (as linked from my site) but I still get a network unreachable
    > error. Any ideas?
    >
    > Assuming a default /etc/hosts, should one need to manually add
    > anything to the file after going through the system manager
    > changes? I found after a reboot that the host name was still
    > IRIS, even though I'd set it to be 'fire', as re the procedures
    > in the cable modem guide.
    >
    > I'm using an Indy with 6.5.17m, connecting to a Motorola SB4200
    > cable modem (Teleweat Blueyonder service).

    I'm sure I did this a while back with my Octane, and I think I did use
    DHCP at that time. I recall using proclaim, but not the details. It
    can't have been to hard, or I wouldn't have managed it...

    What I do now, though, is go via a router (Linksys rp114, I think) which
    means the router can worry about the possibility the external IP address
    has changed, but the Octane can always use the same (private) IP
    address.

    The router does NAT, and has four internal and one external ports, so a
    home network is easy. It cost more than your average Indy, but is a
    very handy thing.

    One thing to watch out for is that the cable modems tend to have a long
    memory of which MAC address they were last talking to, and refuse to
    talk to anyone else. The effect of this is that if you connect your PC
    to the cable modem, then unplug it and expect it to talk to your Indy,
    you are out of luck. Reboot the cable modem and you might get
    somewhere.

    --
    Dr Tristram J. Scott
    Energy Consultant

  3. Re: Setting up an Indy with DHCP and cable modem?...

    In article ,
    mapesdhs@yahoo.com (Ian Mapleson) wrote:

    : Has anyone successfully been able to setup an IRIX system running
    : 6.5.x with a cable modem on DHCP? If so, what procedure did you
    : use? I have followed the advice given in the 'Cable Modem Howto'
    : (as linked from my site) but I still get a network unreachable
    : error. Any ideas?

    I think proclaim completely fails to set the default gateway for some reason.

    Cheers - Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler

  4. Re: Setting up an Indy with DHCP and cable modem?...

    > I think proclaim completely fails to set the default gateway for some reason.

    yes, it does fail. I always have to set my default manually.

+ Reply to Thread