Origin 2000 in 19" Rack - SGI

This is a discussion on Origin 2000 in 19" Rack - SGI ; if one were to remove the deskside skins would an origin 2000 fit in a standard 19" rack supported by a heavyduty shelve of course... thanks...

  1. Origin 2000 in 19" Rack

    if one were to remove the deskside skins would an origin 2000
    fit in a standard 19" rack supported by a heavyduty shelve of course...

    thanks

  2. Re: Origin 2000 in 19" Rack

    cosmos wrote:

    > if one were to remove the deskside skins would an origin 2000
    > fit in a standard 19" rack

    Yes. A deskside is basically a single module o2k.

    > supported by a heavyduty shelve of course...

    Maybe you ought to try and get a proper rack-mount kit for it. I have
    no idea if you can get them from SGI Remanufacturing; perhaps Reputable
    has them for cheap. You wouldn't want it sliding about.

    And I hope you have a decent rack.

    Ivan
    --
    Ivan Rayner
    ivanr@sgi.com

  3. Re: Origin 2000 in 19" Rack

    Ivan Rayner wrote:
    > cosmos wrote:
    >
    >>if one were to remove the deskside skins would an origin 2000
    >>fit in a standard 19" rack

    > Yes. A deskside is basically a single module o2k.
    >

    >>supported by a heavyduty shelve of course...

    > Maybe you ought to try and get a proper rack-mount kit for it. I have
    > no idea if you can get them from SGI Remanufacturing; perhaps Reputable
    > has them for cheap. You wouldn't want it sliding about.
    >
    > And I hope you have a decent rack.
    >
    > Ivan

    We have one in a challenge XL vault with a couple of O200s and a
    SGI/Clarion fibre vault - it's probably best to buy/make up top and
    bottom airboxes (like those from the rack mount unit) so that you can
    duct the cool airflow into the top vent and duct the warm airflow out
    the bottom and up the back of the rack - keeps it consistent with
    anything else in the rack too. The early metal airboxes are strong
    enough to support an O2000 chassis so no need for a draw if you have one
    of those. Later ones are plastic and obviously no good for support.

    Steve Booth at Pastech has/had Origin 2000 rackmount stuff as well (we
    got two plastic airboxes from Pastech and quite a few other O2000
    goodies from Pastech).

    Cheers,
    Simon

  4. Re: Origin 2000 in 19" Rack

    > ... a heavyduty shelve of course...

    shelve? shelve of course... check your grammar.

  5. Re: Origin 2000 in 19" Rack

    I'm considering picking up a cheap 1 module 2000 unit at some point, and mounting it in my basement rack. Does anyone know how many rack units it'll chew up? Can I power it with a standard 110V home electrical supply?

+ Reply to Thread