Anybody upgraded an O2 from R5K to R10K? - SGI

This is a discussion on Anybody upgraded an O2 from R5K to R10K? - SGI ; Hi, I was wondering if anybody had upgraded O2 R5K to R10K... I know it doesn't look like just a simple swap of motherboards, but I'm curious to know what really has to be done to accomplish this?...

  1. Anybody upgraded an O2 from R5K to R10K?

    Hi,
    I was wondering if anybody had upgraded O2 R5K to R10K... I know it doesn't look like just a simple swap of motherboards, but I'm curious to know what really has to be done to accomplish this?

  2. Re: Anybody upgraded an O2 from R5K to R10K?

    UNIX Musuem wrote in message news:<20040304083121.1ef40e44.unixmuseum@verizon.com>...
    > Hi,
    > I was wondering if anybody had upgraded O2 R5K to R10K... I know it doesn't look like just a simple swap of motherboards, but I'm curious to know what really has to be done to accomplish this?

    I've done it (sort of). I had an R10K with a defective motherboard.
    Also had an R5K 180 that was collecting dust. Out of the two, I got
    one working R10K system.

    The differences:

    The R10K Chassis uses up one of the spaces that holds an extra hard
    disk in the R5k. I doubt that you can just hack the metal plate out of
    an R5K chassis to make room for the larger processor/heat sync. I
    could be wrong.

    There are two risers that go between the processor and the
    motherboard. These are longer on an R10K unit. They are removable, but
    are attached to the motherboard, not the processor. Of course the
    "platform" that supports the processor is different too, but there are
    holes in the right places on an R5K motherboard.

    The PCI card holder has a longer connector to reach past the higher
    heat sync.

    The similarities:

    All the plastic skins, front plane, memory and the motherboard appear
    to be identical. I've been running the "merged" system for at least 6
    monts without any problems.

    So... if you're thinking of buying an R10K processor off of ebay and
    just dumping it in your R5K chassis... not gonna work

    If you'd like to see some pictures of the two, e-mail me.

    Dave

  3. Re: Anybody upgraded an O2 from R5K to R10K?

    In article ,
    gotroot2003 wrote:
    >The R10K Chassis uses up one of the spaces that holds an extra hard
    >disk in the R5k. I doubt that you can just hack the metal plate out of
    >an R5K chassis to make room for the larger processor/heat sync. I
    >could be wrong.

    I think that you can just do this hack. A while ago somebody mentioned
    that there is an O2 chassis version where the metal plate is removable with
    a screw on the bottom of the case.

    --
    David Evans dfevans@bbcr.uwaterloo.ca
    Ph.D. Candidate, Computer/Synth Junkie http://bbcr.uwaterloo.ca/~dfevans/

  4. Re: Anybody upgraded an O2 from R5K to R10K?

    dfevans@bcr10.uwaterloo.ca (David Evans) wrote in message news:...
    > In article ,
    > gotroot2003 wrote:
    > >The R10K Chassis uses up one of the spaces that holds an extra hard
    > >disk in the R5k. I doubt that you can just hack the metal plate out of
    > >an R5K chassis to make room for the larger processor/heat sync. I
    > >could be wrong.
    > >

    > I think that you can just do this hack. A while ago somebody mentioned
    > that there is an O2 chassis version where the metal plate is removable with
    > a screw on the bottom of the case.

    Maybe, but the drives and audio module are sitting on a platform that
    is about 1/4" higher than the base where the motherboard sled sits. On
    the R10K chassis this platform is the width of two drives (about
    2.5"), on the R5K it's three drives wide (3.75"). I have a feeling
    that this platform may interfere with the PCI board or the Processor
    if one was trying to cram an R10K module into an R5K chassis. But, if
    you're hacking out metal anyway, a little more won't make a difference

    You'll still have to get past the obstacle of the riser pins between
    the processor and motherboard as well as the extended PCI adapter. I'm
    assuming that the original poster was hoping to swap out just the
    processor module, not the whole motherboard tray assembly.

    With the current prices of O2's on ebay, i doubt this project is worth
    the effort.

  5. Re: Anybody upgraded an O2 from R5K to R10K?

    On 7 Mar 2004 12:51:06 -0800
    dgerard@colba.net (gotroot2003) wrote:

    > dfevans@bcr10.uwaterloo.ca (David Evans) wrote in message news:...
    > > In article ,
    > > gotroot2003 wrote:
    > > >The R10K Chassis uses up one of the spaces that holds an extra hard
    > > >disk in the R5k. I doubt that you can just hack the metal plate out of
    > > >an R5K chassis to make room for the larger processor/heat sync. I
    > > >could be wrong.
    > > >

    > > I think that you can just do this hack. A while ago somebody mentioned
    > > that there is an O2 chassis version where the metal plate is removable with
    > > a screw on the bottom of the case.

    > Maybe, but the drives and audio module are sitting on a platform that
    > is about 1/4" higher than the base where the motherboard sled sits. On
    > the R10K chassis this platform is the width of two drives (about
    > 2.5"), on the R5K it's three drives wide (3.75"). I have a feeling
    > that this platform may interfere with the PCI board or the Processor
    > if one was trying to cram an R10K module into an R5K chassis. But, if
    > you're hacking out metal anyway, a little more won't make a difference
    >

    > You'll still have to get past the obstacle of the riser pins between
    > the processor and motherboard as well as the extended PCI adapter. I'm
    > assuming that the original poster was hoping to swap out just the
    > processor module, not the whole motherboard tray assembly.
    >
    > With the current prices of O2's on ebay, i doubt this project is worth
    > the effort.

    Well, I knew the chassis were different, but was hoping for an answer of the type "unscrew this, remove that"... I do not want to hack metal out, I'll keep my R5K...
    Thanks for the info

+ Reply to Thread