V8 & V10 comparison - SGI

This is a discussion on V8 & V10 comparison - SGI ; Hi, I am a bit confused, why does V10(32M) has less memory than V8(128M), isn't V10 supposed to be the better card? If so, since I am using a lot of texturing and hardware acceleration, I see no problem with ...

  1. V8 & V10 comparison

    Hi,

    I am a bit confused, why does V10(32M) has less memory than V8(128M),
    isn't V10 supposed to be the better card?
    If so, since I am using a lot of texturing and hardware acceleration, I
    see no problem with the acceleration part, but how can by having much
    less RAM increase the texturing performance of the V10 over V8? or have
    I simply got the wrong card for the work I want to do?

    Thanks for your time.
    S.Chang

  2. Re: V8 & V10 comparison

    You can page to texture memory. That can work very well.

    No idea about why it has less though.

    *********************
    Khalid Schofield
    System Administrator / EM Technician
    Dept. Of Materials
    University Of Oxford
    Parks Road
    Oxford
    OX1 3PH

    Tel: 01865 273785
    Fax: 01865 283333

    On Thu, 4 Mar 2004, S.Chang wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am a bit confused, why does V10(32M) has less memory than V8(128M),
    > isn't V10 supposed to be the better card?
    > If so, since I am using a lot of texturing and hardware acceleration, I
    > see no problem with the acceleration part, but how can by having much
    > less RAM increase the texturing performance of the V10 over V8? or have
    > I simply got the wrong card for the work I want to do?
    >
    > Thanks for your time.
    > S.Chang

  3. Re: V8 & V10 comparison

    "S.Chang" wrote:
    > I am a bit confused, why does V10(32M) has less memory than V8(128M),
    > isn't V10 supposed to be the better card?
    > If so, since I am using a lot of texturing and hardware acceleration, I
    > see no problem with the acceleration part, but how can by having much
    > less RAM increase the texturing performance of the V10 over V8? or have
    > I simply got the wrong card for the work I want to do?

    As I understand it, the V6 and V8 are identical apart from the V8 having
    more memory. The V10 and V12 are faster. So a V10 will be faster than a V8
    providing you don't run out of texture memory.

  4. Re: V8 & V10 comparison

    Lewis Saunders wrote:
    > "S.Chang" wrote:
    >
    >>I am a bit confused, why does V10(32M) has less memory than V8(128M),
    >>isn't V10 supposed to be the better card?
    >>If so, since I am using a lot of texturing and hardware acceleration, I
    >>see no problem with the acceleration part, but how can by having much
    >>less RAM increase the texturing performance of the V10 over V8? or have
    >>I simply got the wrong card for the work I want to do?

    > As I understand it, the V6 and V8 are identical apart from the V8 having
    > more memory. The V10 and V12 are faster. So a V10 will be faster than a V8
    > providing you don't run out of texture memory.

    not exactly
    the V8/V12 have much more hardware accelerated GL functions than V6/V10
    that's why some software works only on V8/V12 -no matter about memory
    size -only that function counts

  5. Re: V8 & V10 comparison

    S.Chang wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am a bit confused, why does V10(32M) has less memory than V8(128M),
    > isn't V10 supposed to be the better card?

    V10 is the more recent incarnation; V8 is the older generation but with
    lots of memory -- it's the predecessor of V12.

    > If so, since I am using a lot of texturing and hardware acceleration, I
    > see no problem with the acceleration part, but how can by having much
    > less RAM increase the texturing performance of the V10 over V8?

    As long as your textures fit in GPU memory, V10/12 is faster than V6/8.

    If they don't -- well, all bets are off.

    --
    Alexis Cousein Senior Systems Engineer
    alexis@sgi.com SGI/Silicon Graphics Brussels

    Nobody Expects the Belgian Inquisition!

  6. Re: V8 & V10 comparison

    nicte wrote:

    > the V8/V12 have much more hardware accelerated GL functions than V6/V10
    > that's why some software works only on V8/V12 -no matter about memory
    > size -only that function counts

    Nope. OTOH, of course, some framebuffer formats and resolutions simply
    do not works without lots of memory -- but there is no difference between
    a V10 and a V12 except for the memory.

    --
    Alexis Cousein Senior Systems Engineer
    alexis@sgi.com SGI/Silicon Graphics Brussels

    Nobody Expects the Belgian Inquisition!

  7. Re: V8 & V10 comparison

    Alexis Cousein wrote:
    > S.Chang wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I am a bit confused, why does V10(32M) has less memory than V8(128M),
    >> isn't V10 supposed to be the better card?

    > V10 is the more recent incarnation; V8 is the older generation but with
    > lots of memory -- it's the predecessor of V12.
    >
    >> If so, since I am using a lot of texturing and hardware acceleration,
    >> I see no problem with the acceleration part, but how can by having
    >> much less RAM increase the texturing performance of the V10 over V8?

    > As long as your textures fit in GPU memory, V10/12 is faster than V6/8.
    >
    > If they don't -- well, all bets are off.

    m....looks like I need to find a V8 or V12.
    Would it help if I move it to a Fuel which has faster clock speed and
    larger cache on the CPU, and using DDR RAM?

    It's faster than MXE, but I was expecting so much more from it...

    S.Chang

  8. Re: V8 & V10 comparison

    S.Chang wrote:

    > m....looks like I need to find a V8 or V12.
    > Would it help if I move it to a Fuel which has faster clock speed and
    > larger cache on the CPU, and using DDR RAM?

    Depends. If it's an immediate mode app (limited by transfers from
    the host to the GPU), yes.

    First thing to try : profiling. Even an ssrun -fpcsamp experiment
    is usually enlightening.

    --
    Alexis Cousein Senior Systems Engineer
    alexis@sgi.com SGI/Silicon Graphics Brussels

    Nobody Expects the Belgian Inquisition!

  9. Re: V8 & V10 comparison

    On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 14:42:07 +0100
    Alexis Cousein wrote:

    > S.Chang wrote:
    >
    > > m....looks like I need to find a V8 or V12.
    > > Would it help if I move it to a Fuel which has faster clock speed and
    > > larger cache on the CPU, and using DDR RAM?
    > >

    > Depends. If it's an immediate mode app (limited by transfers from
    > the host to the GPU), yes.
    >
    > First thing to try : profiling. Even an ssrun -fpcsamp experiment
    > is usually enlightening.
    >

    > --
    > Alexis Cousein Senior Systems Engineer
    > alexis@sgi.com SGI/Silicon Graphics Brussels
    >
    > Nobody Expects the Belgian Inquisition!

    OK, maybe the question has been asked before, so forgive me...
    What about V6 vs. MXE? What would be a better solution for CAD/CAE/CAID work?

  10. Re: V8 & V10 comparison

    Alexis Cousein wrote:
    > S.Chang wrote:
    >
    >> m....looks like I need to find a V8 or V12.
    >> Would it help if I move it to a Fuel which has faster clock speed and
    >> larger cache on the CPU, and using DDR RAM?
    >>

    > Depends. If it's an immediate mode app (limited by transfers from
    > the host to the GPU), yes.
    >
    > First thing to try : profiling. Even an ssrun -fpcsamp experiment
    > is usually enlightening.

    Thanks Alex, will give it a try when I get home.
    S.Chang

+ Reply to Thread