4-port MSCSI Card - Single ended/differential ports - SGI

This is a discussion on 4-port MSCSI Card - Single ended/differential ports - SGI ; There must be a simple answer for this that I'm missing. I read somewhere that the first port 0 on a 4-port MSCSI card is both single-ended and differential. I tried plugging in a SE 68-pin disk to that port ...

  1. 4-port MSCSI Card - Single ended/differential ports

    There must be a simple answer for this that I'm missing. I read
    somewhere that the first port 0 on a 4-port MSCSI card is both
    single-ended and differential.

    I tried plugging in a SE 68-pin disk to that port but it doesn't see
    it. Also, in the hinv, all 4 ports show up as Differential. Is there
    a way to switch it to SE mode?

    Thanks in advance,

    Jim

  2. Re: 4-port MSCSI Card - Single ended/differential ports

    Jim Lee wrote:

    > There must be a simple answer for this that I'm missing. I read
    > somewhere that the first port 0 on a 4-port MSCSI card is both
    > single-ended and differential.
    >
    > I tried plugging in a SE 68-pin disk to that port but it doesn't see
    > it. Also, in the hinv, all 4 ports show up as Differential. Is there
    > a way to switch it to SE mode?

    No, it should be automagical. Provided, of course, the device and
    the cabling are OK - the most obvious gotcha is that you should not be
    using a differential terminator.

    --
    Alexis Cousein Senior Systems Engineer
    alexis@sgi.com SGI/Silicon Graphics Brussels

    Nobody Expects the Belgian Inquisition!

  3. Re: 4-port MSCSI Card - Single ended/differential ports

    Hi Alexis,

    Thanks for the suggestion on the terminator. Got my drive going on
    the first port.

    Are the other ports HVD or LVD? Someone here was saying that LVD
    drives cannot work and may fry on an HVD interface.

    Thanks,

    Jim

    Alexis Cousein wrote in message news:...
    > Jim Lee wrote:
    >
    > > There must be a simple answer for this that I'm missing. I read
    > > somewhere that the first port 0 on a 4-port MSCSI card is both
    > > single-ended and differential.
    > >
    > > I tried plugging in a SE 68-pin disk to that port but it doesn't see
    > > it. Also, in the hinv, all 4 ports show up as Differential. Is there
    > > a way to switch it to SE mode?

    > No, it should be automagical. Provided, of course, the device and
    > the cabling are OK - the most obvious gotcha is that you should not be
    > using a differential terminator.

  4. Re: 4-port MSCSI Card - Single ended/differential ports

    Jim Lee wrote:

    > Hi Alexis,
    >
    > Thanks for the suggestion on the terminator. Got my drive going on
    > the first port.
    >
    > Are the other ports HVD or LVD? Someone here was saying that LVD
    > drives cannot work and may fry on an HVD interface.

    they are LVD

    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jim
    >
    > Alexis Cousein wrote in message news:...
    > > Jim Lee wrote:
    > >
    > > > There must be a simple answer for this that I'm missing. I read
    > > > somewhere that the first port 0 on a 4-port MSCSI card is both
    > > > single-ended and differential.
    > > >
    > > > I tried plugging in a SE 68-pin disk to that port but it doesn't see
    > > > it. Also, in the hinv, all 4 ports show up as Differential. Is there
    > > > a way to switch it to SE mode?

    > > No, it should be automagical. Provided, of course, the device and
    > > the cabling are OK - the most obvious gotcha is that you should not be
    > > using a differential terminator.

  5. Re: 4-port MSCSI Card - Single ended/differential ports

    Jim Lee wrote:

    > Hi Alexis,
    >
    > Thanks for the suggestion on the terminator. Got my drive going on
    > the first port.
    >
    > Are the other ports HVD or LVD? Someone here was saying that LVD
    > drives cannot work and may fry on an HVD interface.

    They're HVD. LVD drives only work on the first port (in SE mode,
    at Fast20 aka UltraSCSI speed).

    --
    Alexis Cousein Senior Systems Engineer
    alexis@sgi.com SGI/Silicon Graphics Brussels

    Nobody Expects the Belgian Inquisition!

  6. Re: 4-port MSCSI Card - Single ended/differential ports

    SkyWriter wrote:

    > Jim Lee wrote:
    >

    >>Hi Alexis,
    >>
    >>Thanks for the suggestion on the terminator. Got my drive going on
    >>the first port.
    >>
    >>Are the other ports HVD or LVD? Someone here was saying that LVD
    >>drives cannot work and may fry on an HVD interface.

    > they are LVD

    Nope. HVD.

    --
    Alexis Cousein Senior Systems Engineer
    alexis@sgi.com SGI/Silicon Graphics Brussels

    Nobody Expects the Belgian Inquisition!

  7. Re: 4-port MSCSI Card - Single ended/differential ports

    Alexis Cousein wrote:

    > SkyWriter wrote:
    >
    > > Jim Lee wrote:
    > >

    > >>Hi Alexis,
    > >>
    > >>Thanks for the suggestion on the terminator. Got my drive going on
    > >>the first port.
    > >>
    > >>Are the other ports HVD or LVD? Someone here was saying that LVD
    > >>drives cannot work and may fry on an HVD interface.

    > > they are LVD
    > >

    > Nope. HVD.

    they should have promoted you to 'principal usenet poster' by now.

    > --
    > Alexis Cousein Senior Systems Engineer
    > alexis@sgi.com SGI/Silicon Graphics Brussels
    >
    > Nobody Expects the Belgian Inquisition!