Missing PCI Board 02 - SGI

This is a discussion on Missing PCI Board 02 - SGI ; Recently bought an O2 off ebay. when i got it, it didn't have a hard drive as advertised, but in the back there's an empty space between the 1 and the hard drvie tray. when i take out the cpu ...

  1. Missing PCI Board 02

    Recently bought an O2 off ebay.
    when i got it, it didn't have a hard drive
    as advertised, but in the back there's
    an empty space between the 1 and the hard
    drvie tray. when i take out the cpu sled (I'm assuming
    that's what I'm taking out, it's ths sled where the key
    board plugs in), the missing spot says a PCI Board
    belongs there.

    Another thing. When I plug the SGI in it just
    comes as a green screen on a NEC Multisync monitor,
    while on Ebay the original owner got a read out
    despite no hard disk.

    please e-mail me and let me know what
    to do about this

    liminal18 at mac dot com

    Thanks,

  2. Re: Missing PCI Board 02

    On 2004-03-03 14:12:18 +1100, liminal18@mac.com (alj) said:

    > Recently bought an O2 off ebay.
    > when i got it, it didn't have a hard drive
    > as advertised, but in the back there's
    > an empty space between the 1 and the hard
    > drvie tray. when i take out the cpu sled (I'm assuming
    > that's what I'm taking out, it's ths sled where the key
    > board plugs in), the missing spot says a PCI Board
    > belongs there.

    I think I know what you're on about, but a photo would be good.

    > Another thing. When I plug the SGI in it just
    > comes as a green screen on a NEC Multisync monitor

    Your NEC monitor doesn't sync on green. That means it's useless on an
    O2. You need a monitor that supports sync on green. Most old Apple
    Trinitrons do this, but not the Diamondtron ones (the blue or grey
    translucent UFO monitors [Studio Display]).

    You'll also need to be able to support the O2's minimum startup
    resolution requirements. I think that's 1280x1024 @ 60Hz, from memory.

    > while on Ebay the original owner got a read out
    > despite no hard disk.

    You can get a helluva lot of diagnostics from the PROM on an O2.
    Pressing 'Escape' during startup and entering the PROM monitor gives
    you some options, like "printenv" and "hinv".

    best always,

    Dave @ ATMOS

    --
    Dafydd Williams
    Project Lead

    web: http://berserkir.ambrosia.net/~pipeline/viker/
    email: pipeline@atmos.com.au

  3. Re: Missing PCI Board 02

    > Another thing. When I plug the SGI in it just
    > comes as a green screen on a NEC Multisync monitor,
    > while on Ebay the original owner got a read out
    > despite no hard disk.

    NECs suck as far as SoG goes.

    http://playstation2-linux.com/sog.php for a list of monitors that
    will/wont work.

    Good luck.

    -o

  4. Re: Missing PCI Board 02

    Am 03.03.04, 04:12:18, schrieb liminal18@mac.com (alj) :

    > Recently bought an O2 off ebay.
    > when i got it, it didn't have a hard drive
    > as advertised, but in the back there's
    > an empty space between the 1 and the hard
    > drvie tray. when i take out the cpu sled (I'm assuming
    > that's what I'm taking out, it's ths sled where the key
    > board plugs in), the missing spot says a PCI Board
    > belongs there.

    This is probably not exactly what the text says. The only board that
    _must_ be there is the riser card where a pci board _may_ be plugged in,
    but
    a) there need not be one
    b) dont expect a large selection of suitable pci boards; there are just a
    few for which drivers are available

    Just a warning since you're not familiar with the O2: NEVER pull out the
    cpu module while the power cord is connected to the power line, since
    this will usually fry it

    [...]

  5. Re: Missing PCI Board 02

    On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 10:34:43 +0000, Rainer Latka wrote:

    > Just a warning since you're not familiar with the O2: NEVER pull out the
    > cpu module while the power cord is connected to the power line, since
    > this will usually fry it

    heh. i've done that. several times (i'm pretty absent-minded.) have
    been lucky enough to not fry anything yet, however.

    So, yeah, don't do that. But if you accidently do, don't panic. unplug
    the machine, re-insert the cpu board, and the odds are pretty good it'll
    still work.

    --
    chris

  6. Re: Missing PCI Board 02

    Dafydd Williams wrote:
    > Your NEC monitor doesn't sync on green. That means it's useless on an
    > O2. You need a monitor that supports sync on green.

    Just to split hairs: it doesn't needt o support sync-on-green, as the O2
    also puts out split H- and V-sync, but it needs to be smart enough not
    to mess up the detection of the black level on the green signal in the
    presence of sync on the green wire.

    --
    Alexis Cousein Senior Systems Engineer
    alexis@sgi.com SGI/Silicon Graphics Brussels

    Nobody Expects the Belgian Inquisition!

  7. Re: Missing PCI Board 02

    On 2004-03-04 00:43:21 +1100, Alexis Cousein said:

    > Just to split hairs: it doesn't needt o support sync-on-green, as the O2
    > also puts out split H- and V-sync, but it needs to be smart enough not
    > to mess up the detection of the black level on the green signal in the
    > presence of sync on the green wire.

    Indeed? Well, that's new to me.

    So, the correct phrase would be "must be able to properly operate in
    the presence of sync-on-green signal."

    Coolness. Apologies for the confusion.

    Dave @ ATMOS
    --
    Dafydd Williams
    Project Lead
    ATMOS Software Productions Pty Ltd

    web: http://berserkir.ambrosia.net/~pipeline/viker/
    email: pipeline@atmos.com.au

  8. Re: Missing PCI Board 02

    hopefully these blurt pics will help

    http://homepage.mac.com/liminal18/02back2.jpg

    that's the tray pulled out with the missing pci board

    http://homepage.mac.com/liminal18/02back1.jpg

    that's the empty spot in the back of the SGI.

    Anyway I'll get another monitor soon.

    Peace,

    Dafydd Williams wrote in message news:<4045539b$0$22524$5a62ac22@freenews.iinet.net.au>...
    > On 2004-03-03 14:12:18 +1100, liminal18@mac.com (alj) said:
    >
    > > Recently bought an O2 off ebay.
    > > when i got it, it didn't have a hard drive
    > > as advertised, but in the back there's
    > > an empty space between the 1 and the hard
    > > drvie tray. when i take out the cpu sled (I'm assuming
    > > that's what I'm taking out, it's ths sled where the key
    > > board plugs in), the missing spot says a PCI Board
    > > belongs there.

    > I think I know what you're on about, but a photo would be good.
    >
    > > Another thing. When I plug the SGI in it just
    > > comes as a green screen on a NEC Multisync monitor

    > Your NEC monitor doesn't sync on green. That means it's useless on an
    > O2. You need a monitor that supports sync on green. Most old Apple
    > Trinitrons do this, but not the Diamondtron ones (the blue or grey
    > translucent UFO monitors [Studio Display]).
    >
    > You'll also need to be able to support the O2's minimum startup
    > resolution requirements. I think that's 1280x1024 @ 60Hz, from memory.
    >
    > > while on Ebay the original owner got a read out
    > > despite no hard disk.

    > You can get a helluva lot of diagnostics from the PROM on an O2.
    > Pressing 'Escape' during startup and entering the PROM monitor gives
    > you some options, like "printenv" and "hinv".
    >
    > best always,
    >
    > Dave @ ATMOS

  9. Re: Missing PCI Board 02

    On 2004-03-04 09:22:54 +1100, liminal18@mac.com (alj) said:

    > hopefully these blurt pics will help
    >
    > http://homepage.mac.com/liminal18/02back2.jpg
    >
    > that's the tray pulled out with the missing pci board
    >
    > http://homepage.mac.com/liminal18/02back1.jpg
    >
    > that's the empty spot in the back of the SGI.

    Aha! That makes it all clear; you're just missing the back cover off
    the PCI slot. You can pick up one that'll fit from almost any computer
    dealer, and they're so cheap they may even just give you one for free.

    It's not a big problem, though, because about the worst that will
    happen with it missing is that you'll accumulate dust and grime. If
    you're using a CPU that runs very hot, it ~may~ affect your cooling.

    > Anyway I'll get another monitor soon.

    Excellent idea. They're easy enough to find. If you can, try before you buy!

    best always,

    Dave @ ATMOS
    --
    Dafydd Williams