what is it: cyclone rip o2 - SGI

This is a discussion on what is it: cyclone rip o2 - SGI ; Cyclone RIP SGI O2 Is this a standard sgi? Does it has standard prom? Software? Is it worth buying? Thanks in advance, Thomas...

  1. what is it: cyclone rip o2

    Cyclone RIP SGI O2
    Is this a standard sgi?
    Does it has standard prom? Software?
    Is it worth buying?

    Thanks in advance, Thomas

  2. Re: what is it: cyclone rip o2

    In article ,
    pantomas wrote:
    >Cyclone RIP SGI O2
    >Is this a standard sgi?
    >Does it has standard prom? Software?
    >Is it worth buying?
    >
    >Thanks in advance, Thomas

    Cyclone is a software package. www.bcandid.com, apparently
    now owned by www.openwave.com

    Whether that's what the 'Cyclone' above stands for is unclear.

    David Anderson

  3. Re: what is it: cyclone rip o2

    pantomas wrote:
    > Cyclone RIP SGI O2
    > Is this a standard sgi?
    > Does it has standard prom? Software?
    > Is it worth buying?
    >
    > Thanks in advance, Thomas

    Cyclone was a printing/proofing system that used various SGI models as a
    a RIP (Raster Image Processor).

    Check out this eBay listing (completed auction) for another proofing
    system with an SGI RIP:

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=57059

    Without any of the other proofing hardware, the Cyclone RIP software
    won't be much good to you. Plus, today's el cheapo PCs would run rings
    around the O2 if used for a RIP. What you're dealing with is an
    antique, no value beyond what any other similar-spec O2 would cost. The
    actual O2 doesn't have any special hardware, aside from possibly an
    interface card for the proofing system.

    -zolo

  4. Re: what is it: cyclone rip o2

    Our office had an Indy with the cyclone rip software. I believe
    Octanes could also be had with the same option.

    I wouldn't be surprised if the interface board was SCSI. I seem to
    remember our SUN Sparc 20 (Running the Infografix rip) and the Indy
    were printing via SCSI. Not sure though, as they are both long gone.

+ Reply to Thread