Dead Octane memory?? - SGI

This is a discussion on Dead Octane memory?? - SGI ; Hello all, I just got my Octane back up and running from a bad front plane. Now I am having another problem. The box has 4 pairs of 64M sticks of memory, for a total of 512M. The machine is ...

  1. Dead Octane memory??

    Hello all,

    I just got my Octane back up and running from a bad front plane. Now I
    am having another problem. The box has 4 pairs of 64M sticks of memory,
    for a total of 512M. The machine is only reporting 384M in the HINV.
    What is the best way to check the memory? It may only be a mismatched
    pair or something more. I have read that it is not good the keep taking
    the boards in and out so I am looking for a 'better' way.

    Thanks in advance,
    James

    --
    James Stanley

    http://www.sgizone.net

  2. Re: Dead Octane memory??

    I would have thought that this is badly seated memory. Try removing it and
    reinstalling it (give it a wiggle and blow off any dust from the
    connectors too). If it were just faulty it is more likely that only some
    of the data lines would be dammaged. You would detect this by programs
    crashing or the system not wanting to boot. You can also go into prom and
    run the hardware test. This will flag any errors. If it doesn't then their
    can be several reasons. 1) the memory power is dammaged and it's not
    accepting any data at all or 2) the memory just isn't properly connected
    to the IP30 board (take it out clean it and pop it back in). Again Octane
    memory is quite cheap so if it's still not working scroundge some memory
    to test the slots and if it works buy more.

    *********************
    Khalid Schofield
    System Administrator / EM Technician
    Dept. Of Materials
    University Of Oxford
    Parks Road
    Oxford
    OX1 3PH

    Tel: 01865 273785
    Fax: 01865 283333

    On Sun, 29 Feb 2004, James Stanley wrote:

    > Hello all,
    >
    > I just got my Octane back up and running from a bad front plane. Now I
    > am having another problem. The box has 4 pairs of 64M sticks of memory,
    > for a total of 512M. The machine is only reporting 384M in the HINV.
    > What is the best way to check the memory? It may only be a mismatched
    > pair or something more. I have read that it is not good the keep taking
    > the boards in and out so I am looking for a 'better' way.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > James
    >
    > --
    > James Stanley
    >
    > http://www.sgizone.net

  3. Re: Dead Octane memory??

    In article ,
    James Stanley wrote:
    :I just got my Octane back up and running from a bad front plane. Now I
    :am having another problem. The box has 4 pairs of 64M sticks of memory,
    :for a total of 512M. The machine is only reporting 384M in the HINV.

    Although it won't help your situation, I'll take this opportunity to
    report that we found that on the Octane, it was necessary to
    place the memory in descending order of size -- largest first, next
    largest, smallest last.
    --
    Scintillate, scintillate, globule vivific
    Fain would I fathom thy nature specific.

  4. Re: Dead Octane memory??

    OK, I pulled all the memory and cleaned the slots and the DIMM's and
    reinstalled it in a different order. Now the machine complains when it
    is booting up. It did not do this before, so my guess would be that the
    bad DIMM's were in the last slot and didn't cause a boot error. I may be
    wrong about this so please chime in anytime. I am going to go through
    the memory ad see if I can pull out the bad DIMM's.

    Thanks,
    james

    --
    James Stanley

    http://www.sgizone.net

    " Windows 95: A 32-bit patch for a 16-bit GUI shell, running on
    top of an 8-bit operating system, written for a 4-bit processor,
    by a 2-bit company that can't stand 1-bit of competition

    Keith Huff

+ Reply to Thread