SGI O2 crashes. - SGI

This is a discussion on SGI O2 crashes. - SGI ; Hello, my o2 (M5000 180MHz, 128MB ram with Irix 6.5 installed) keeps crashing whatever I try to do with it :/ If I try starting Irix from hdd the screen gets blank, except for the mousecursor in the top left ...

  1. SGI O2 crashes.

    Hello,

    my o2 (M5000 180MHz, 128MB ram with Irix 6.5 installed) keeps crashing
    whatever I try to do with it :/ If I try starting Irix from hdd the
    screen gets blank, except for the mousecursor in the top left corner,
    and the system completely hangs (unable to move mousecursor, toggle
    capslock or press powerbutton)

    If i try to run anything from sash, I get kernel panic saying Illegal
    f_magic number etc..

    I've tried to network boot all precompiled IP32 linux-mips kernels I
    could find. They all hang the system after "bla bla entry bla".

    NetBSD kernels are strange, some of them panics directly and reboot
    the system, some panics and hang the system, and one kernel actually
    begins booting but hang the system after panicing:
    panic: pcierr: 80180006 4004
    Stopped in swapper at 0x800f7464: jr ra

    IDE is runnable and passes all tests, sash works and can read
    dksc(0,1,0), sgilabel panics..

    Does anyone have any clue at all what might be wrong? I've tried
    netbooting with HDD, CDROM and A/V-module unplugged, but still the
    same so I guess its none of these components that are faulty?

  2. Re: SGI O2 crashes.

    Not good :-(

    It's definetly a hardware fault or prom bug. The only thing you can do it
    to try removing some memory, clean all the connectors you can on the
    system, reseat the cpu module.

    Otherwise it's a new motherboard :-( But your in luck as you have an
    R5000 system you can replace the mother board for 50 or so and you'll
    probably get a faster system .

    *********************
    Khalid Schofield
    System Administrator / EM Technician
    Dept. Of Materials
    University Of Oxford
    Parks Road
    Oxford
    OX1 3PH

    Tel: 01865 273785
    Fax: 01865 283333

    On Sun, 28 Feb 2004, Robert Eriksson wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > my o2 (M5000 180MHz, 128MB ram with Irix 6.5 installed) keeps crashing
    > whatever I try to do with it :/ If I try starting Irix from hdd the
    > screen gets blank, except for the mousecursor in the top left corner,
    > and the system completely hangs (unable to move mousecursor, toggle
    > capslock or press powerbutton)
    >
    > If i try to run anything from sash, I get kernel panic saying Illegal
    > f_magic number etc..
    >
    > I've tried to network boot all precompiled IP32 linux-mips kernels I
    > could find. They all hang the system after "bla bla entry bla".
    >
    > NetBSD kernels are strange, some of them panics directly and reboot
    > the system, some panics and hang the system, and one kernel actually
    > begins booting but hang the system after panicing:
    > panic: pcierr: 80180006 4004
    > Stopped in swapper at 0x800f7464: jr ra
    >
    > IDE is runnable and passes all tests, sash works and can read
    > dksc(0,1,0), sgilabel panics..
    >
    > Does anyone have any clue at all what might be wrong? I've tried
    > netbooting with HDD, CDROM and A/V-module unplugged, but still the
    > same so I guess its none of these components that are faulty?

  3. Re: SGI O2 crashes.

    Hello,

    thanks for your reply

    I'm making some progress now. I'm using a nullmodemcable to get the
    console output to minicom on my Linux system. And guess what - the
    system boots!
    My guess is that there is some hardware error on the onboard GFX. Is
    it possible to use a PC-type PCI graphics adapter to the system?

    Please note that I'm very new to SGI machines

    Thanks
    Robert

    Khalid Schofield wrote in message news:...
    > Not good :-(
    >
    > It's definetly a hardware fault or prom bug. The only thing you can do it
    > to try removing some memory, clean all the connectors you can on the
    > system, reseat the cpu module.
    >
    > Otherwise it's a new motherboard :-( But your in luck as you have an
    > R5000 system you can replace the mother board for 50 or so and you'll
    > probably get a faster system .
    >

    > *********************
    > Khalid Schofield
    > System Administrator / EM Technician
    > Dept. Of Materials
    > University Of Oxford
    > Parks Road
    > Oxford
    > OX1 3PH
    >
    > Email: khalid.schofield@materials.ox.ac.uk
    > Tel: 01865 273785
    > Fax: 01865 283333
    > Web: http://www-em.materials.ox.ac.uk/peo...eld/index.html
    >

    > On Sun, 28 Feb 2004, Robert Eriksson wrote:
    >
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > my o2 (M5000 180MHz, 128MB ram with Irix 6.5 installed) keeps crashing
    > > whatever I try to do with it :/ If I try starting Irix from hdd the
    > > screen gets blank, except for the mousecursor in the top left corner,
    > > and the system completely hangs (unable to move mousecursor, toggle
    > > capslock or press powerbutton)
    > >
    > > If i try to run anything from sash, I get kernel panic saying Illegal
    > > f magic number etc..
    > >
    > > I've tried to network boot all precompiled IP32 linux-mips kernels I
    > > could find. They all hang the system after "bla bla entry bla".
    > >
    > > NetBSD kernels are strange, some of them panics directly and reboot
    > > the system, some panics and hang the system, and one kernel actually
    > > begins booting but hang the system after panicing:
    > > panic: pcierr: 80180006 4004
    > > Stopped in swapper at 0x800f7464: jr ra
    > >
    > > IDE is runnable and passes all tests, sash works and can read
    > > dksc(0,1,0), sgilabel panics..
    > >
    > > Does anyone have any clue at all what might be wrong? I've tried
    > > netbooting with HDD, CDROM and A/V-module unplugged, but still the
    > > same so I guess its none of these components that are faulty?

  4. Re: SGI O2 crashes.

    On 2004-03-02 01:24:52 +1100, pepzi@home.se (Robert Eriksson) said:

    > My guess is that there is some hardware error on the onboard GFX. Is
    > it possible to use a PC-type PCI graphics adapter to the system?

    As a general rule, no. The O2 uses an internal graphics system (CRM)
    which is colloquially referred to as "Crime" graphics. Crime is cool
    because it uses your internal memory as texture RAM; the more RAM you
    have, the more textures you can have immediately available to the
    graphics system.

    I think Crime also ties into the video module in a very special way, so
    even if you could use a standard PC video card I suspect it'd prevent
    your captures from working. It'd certainly prevent you from using a
    live video stream as a texture in OpenGL.

    best always,

    Dave @ ATMOS

    --
    Dafydd Williams