IEEE 1394 PCI card in Octane - SGI

This is a discussion on IEEE 1394 PCI card in Octane - SGI ; Does anyone here nows if it's posible to make an IEEE 1394 PCI board work in an Octane whith the pci module? I'm trying to use an external Lacie firewire harddisk. Thanks...

  1. IEEE 1394 PCI card in Octane

    Does anyone here nows if it's posible to make an IEEE 1394 PCI board
    work in an Octane whith the pci module? I'm trying to use an external
    Lacie firewire harddisk.

    Thanks

  2. Re: IEEE 1394 PCI card in Octane

    alfonso wrote:

    > Does anyone here nows if it's posible to make an IEEE 1394 PCI board
    > work in an Octane whith the pci module? I'm trying to use an external
    > Lacie firewire harddisk.
    >
    > Thanks

    Even if you find the card, there is still no drive for you to mount the
    Firewire HDD.

    S.Chang

  3. Re: IEEE 1394 PCI card in Octane

    "S.Chang" wrote in message news:...
    > alfonso wrote:
    >
    > > Does anyone here nows if it's posible to make an IEEE 1394 PCI board
    > > work in an Octane whith the pci module? I'm trying to use an external
    > > Lacie firewire harddisk.
    > >
    > > Thanks

    > Even if you find the card, there is still no drive for you to mount the
    > Firewire HDD.
    >
    > S.Chang

    I've been reading in the SGI web page that the Octane2 supports the
    "libfw" library which is supposed to make the firewire port work and
    they to recomend an external Lacie firewire disk as able to work in
    this system. This makes me think that, if there is no SGI specific
    firewire connection option it should be possible to use any IEEE 1394
    firewire boards from the many that give in the PC and MAc market
    connected through the PCI board module of my Octane.
    I'm very new to this SGI system's and that's why I asked you, more
    Irix experience guys :-) then me, a totally rocky.

    Alfonso

  4. Re: IEEE 1394 PCI card in Octane

    I would have thought that if SGI have produced a kernel driver for
    firewire then it will be quite controler chip specific. It would be very
    hard to produce a generic driver for this sort of PCI card as pc pci cards
    always vary huge amounts from model to model. Just look at Octane PCI scsi
    options theres only a few PCI cards that work.

    *********************
    Khalid Schofield
    System Administrator / EM Technician
    Dept. Of Materials
    University Of Oxford
    Parks Road
    Oxford
    OX1 3PH

    Tel: 01865 273785
    Fax: 01865 283333

    On Sun, 28 Feb 2004, alfonso wrote:

    > "S.Chang" wrote in message news:...
    > > alfonso wrote:
    > >
    > > > Does anyone here nows if it's posible to make an IEEE 1394 PCI board
    > > > work in an Octane whith the pci module? I'm trying to use an external
    > > > Lacie firewire harddisk.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks

    > > Even if you find the card, there is still no drive for you to mount the
    > > Firewire HDD.
    > >
    > > S.Chang

    > I've been reading in the SGI web page that the Octane2 supports the
    > "libfw" library which is supposed to make the firewire port work and
    > they to recomend an external Lacie firewire disk as able to work in
    > this system. This makes me think that, if there is no SGI specific
    > firewire connection option it should be possible to use any IEEE 1394
    > firewire boards from the many that give in the PC and MAc market
    > connected through the PCI board module of my Octane.
    > I'm very new to this SGI system's and that's why I asked you, more
    > Irix experience guys :-) then me, a totally rocky.
    >
    > Alfonso

  5. Re: IEEE 1394 PCI card in Octane

    alfonso wrote:
    > "S.Chang" wrote in message news:...
    >
    >>alfonso wrote:
    >>

    >>>Does anyone here nows if it's posible to make an IEEE 1394 PCI board
    >>>work in an Octane whith the pci module? I'm trying to use an external
    >>>Lacie firewire harddisk.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks

    >>Even if you find the card, there is still no drive for you to mount the
    >>Firewire HDD.
    >>
    >>S.Chang

    > I've been reading in the SGI web page that the Octane2 supports the
    > "libfw" library which is supposed to make the firewire port work and
    > they to recomend an external Lacie firewire disk as able to work in
    > this system. This makes me think that, if there is no SGI specific
    > firewire connection option it should be possible to use any IEEE 1394
    > firewire boards from the many that give in the PC and MAc market
    > connected through the PCI board module of my Octane.
    > I'm very new to this SGI system's and that's why I asked you, more
    > Irix experience guys :-) then me, a totally rocky.
    >
    > Alfonso

    Just found the info on SGI's page.
    Someone here might have a DM10 card, could try to get a firewire
    controller with the same chipset as on the DM10.

    would be nice if firewire HDD works with Octane, I have a few LaCie P3
    drives and some Oxford Semiconductor's OXFW 911 chips sitting in the lab.

    S.Chang

  6. Re: IEEE 1394 PCI card in Octane

    In article ,
    Khalid Schofield wrote:

    : I would have thought that if SGI have produced a kernel driver for
    : firewire then it will be quite controler chip specific. It would be very
    : hard to produce a generic driver for this sort of PCI card as pc pci cards
    : always vary huge amounts from model to model. Just look at Octane PCI scsi
    : options theres only a few PCI cards that work.

    While true for most types of cards, this is not true for FireWire or USB. These
    cards have a standardized hardware/driver interface (well, 3 for USB) that is
    consistant across essentially all cards.

    The only differences between cards should be PCI IDs and hardware bugs.

    This does not mean, however, all cards will work with all drivers, since most
    drivers are coded to only talk to cards with a certain known list of PCI IDs. It
    is not difficult to make a driver that talks to all cards.

    Cheers - Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler

  7. Re: IEEE 1394 PCI card in Octane

    "S.Chang" wrote in message news:<2Ck0c.4988$ei5.70811789@news-text.cableinet.net>...
    > alfonso wrote:

    > >>Even if you find the card, there is still no drive for you to mount the
    > >>Firewire HDD.
    > >>
    > >>S.Chang

    > > I've been reading in the SGI web page that the Octane2 supports the
    > > "libfw" library which is supposed to make the firewire port work and
    > > they to recomend an external Lacie firewire disk as able to work in
    > > this system. This makes me think that, if there is no SGI specific
    > > firewire connection option it should be possible to use any IEEE 1394
    > > firewire boards from the many that give in the PC and MAc market
    > > connected through the PCI board module of my Octane.
    > > I'm very new to this SGI system's and that's why I asked you, more
    > > Irix experience guys :-) then me, a totally rocky.
    > >
    > > Alfonso

    > Just found the info on SGI's page.
    > Someone here might have a DM10 card, could try to get a firewire
    > controller with the same chipset as on the DM10.
    >
    > would be nice if firewire HDD works with Octane, I have a few LaCie P3
    > drives and some Oxford Semiconductor's OXFW 911 chips sitting in the lab.
    >
    > S.Chang

    I thought that, due there gives a pci module in the octane, it would
    be logic be able to use a pci ieee1394 firewire board in order to use
    any of the good firewire hard disks available in the market.
    There is a SGI pci 1394 board available for the O2 and I'm pretty sure
    it should be useful for the Octane to. As far as I have understand
    what the SGI web page says about the Octane2, this card should be
    susceptible of beeing use in order to make work a Lacie d2 drive, but
    I have no idea how to get one of this boards. At the SGI web page, in
    the Octane2 "Product Overview-Digital Media" page, the following can
    be readed:

    > IEEE 1394 Digital Video interface (DMediaProT DM10) DMediaPro DM10 Delivers:
    > IEEE 1394 Digital Video interface (DMediaProT DM10)
    > The DMediaPro DM10 PCI/PCI-X-based IEEE 1394 interface card provides
    > connectivity to video devices.

    > a.. IRIX support for libfw (FireWireT library) which allows developers to
    > access and control standard and custom devices.
    > a.. IRIX support for IIDC Video.
    > Tested and recommended:
    >
    > a.. IRIX support for AV/C Video.
    > Tested and recommended:
    >
    > b.. ADS PYRO A/V Link - professional quality DV breakout box
    > With the PYRO A/V link you can capture and playback professional quality
    > DV using standard definition NTSC and PAL. The device supports capture using
    > composite, s-video, or DV camcorder video with stereo analog audio. The
    > device supports playback using composite, s-video, or component video and
    > stereo analog audio.
    > c.. IRIX support for SBP2 Storage.
    > For fastest speeds, we recommend the use of SCSI 10K+ drives. For maximum
    > flexibility and portability, we recommend the use of SBP2 external drives.
    > Tested and recommended:
    >
    > d.. Lacie D2
    > The Lacie D2 comes in 80GB, 120GB, 160GB, and 200GB configurations.
    > e.. Maxtor OneTouch
    > Maxtor OneTouch drives come in 120GB, 200GB, 250GB and 300GB
    > configurations.

    This is a tipical firewire card specifically produced by SGI for the
    OCtane2, O2 and other workstations....

    Alfonso

  8. Re: IEEE 1394 PCI card in Octane

    wow I didn't know that. Thats quite interesting. Very nice for us users of
    "non mainstream" hardware as if one of us did wite a driver then were not
    locked down to a certain make and model :-)

    Is this the case for any other hardware?

    *********************

    On Sun, 29 Feb 2004, Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler wrote:

    > In article ,
    > Khalid Schofield wrote:
    >
    > : I would have thought that if SGI have produced a kernel driver for
    > : firewire then it will be quite controler chip specific. It would be very
    > : hard to produce a generic driver for this sort of PCI card as pc pci cards
    > : always vary huge amounts from model to model. Just look at Octane PCI scsi
    > : options theres only a few PCI cards that work.
    >
    > While true for most types of cards, this is not true for FireWire or USB. These
    > cards have a standardized hardware/driver interface (well, 3 for USB) that is
    > consistant across essentially all cards.
    >
    > The only differences between cards should be PCI IDs and hardware bugs.
    >
    > This does not mean, however, all cards will work with all drivers, since most
    > drivers are coded to only talk to cards with a certain known list of PCI IDs. It
    > is not difficult to make a driver that talks to all cards.
    >

    > Cheers - Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler
    >
    > --
    > Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler -- Master of Code-fu -- nicoya@ubb.ca
    > -- http://nicoya.feline.pp.se/ -- http://www.ubb.ca/ --

  9. Re: IEEE 1394 PCI card in Octane

    In article ,
    Khalid Schofield wrote:

    : wow I didn't know that. Thats quite interesting. Very nice for us users of
    : "non mainstream" hardware as if one of us did wite a driver then were not
    : locked down to a certain make and model :-)

    Yes, it's very convinient that way. Unfortunately, writing the driver is still
    quite a task due to the bus protocols that need to be supported and the wide
    variety of devices that you can plug in.

    : Is this the case for any other hardware?
    [...]

    Generally no. Some sound cards have a fairly standard "AC97" interface for
    controlling the mixer and codec, but that standard unfortunately doesn't cover
    the DMA interface, which is a rather important part to have and is completely
    different from card to card.

    SCSI cards, Video I/O cards, Graphics cards and Ethernet cards all use a
    proprietary mishmash of hardware interfaces.

    I have a nagging feeling that there's one other class of cards that uses a
    standardized interface, but I can't for the life of me recall what it is.

    Cheers - Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler

  10. Re: IEEE 1394 PCI card in Octane

    palmazan@telefonica.net (alfonso) wrote in message news:...

    > There is a SGI pci 1394 board available for the O2 and I'm pretty sure
    > it should be useful for the Octane to.

    I used to own this card. The drivers are still posted somewhere on the
    net (search this newsgroup). However, the driver is only 32-bit and
    therefore doesn't support IEEE1394 on the Octane. I've tried with the
    original SGI card and drivers v1.1 and had no success whatsoever.

    The only thing you could do was to grab firewire video (and that very
    badly). A crappy piece of hardware from start to finish.

  11. Re: IEEE 1394 PCI card in Octane

    Assam Syrix wrote:
    > palmazan@telefonica.net (alfonso) wrote in message news:...
    >

    >>There is a SGI pci 1394 board available for the O2 and I'm pretty sure
    >>it should be useful for the Octane to.

    > I used to own this card. The drivers are still posted somewhere on the
    > net (search this newsgroup). However, the driver is only 32-bit and
    > therefore doesn't support IEEE1394 on the Octane. I've tried with the
    > original SGI card and drivers v1.1 and had no success whatsoever.
    >
    > The only thing you could do was to grab firewire video (and that very
    > badly). A crappy piece of hardware from start to finish.

    Assam,

    The link to your drive posted on Nekocham seems to be broken, do you
    have the link to the 1394 DDK from SGI? I have borrowed a DM10 board,
    should arrive sometime next week, will see if it works with Firewire HDD
    as SGI said on their page.

    S.Chang

+ Reply to Thread