Crimson Skins - How many different rear one are there? - SGI

This is a discussion on Crimson Skins - How many different rear one are there? - SGI ; I have two rear skins from Crimsons. The skin currently on my RE machine is: W6-CRIM150RE CMN A008 S25119 The other one is: W6-4DCR64S CMN A008 S24485 The first skin has a rectangular opening approximately 5-1/4"w x 15"h on the ...

  1. Crimson Skins - How many different rear one are there?

    I have two rear skins from Crimsons. The skin currently on my RE
    machine is:

    W6-CRIM150RE
    CMN A008
    S25119

    The other one is:

    W6-4DCR64S
    CMN A008
    S24485

    The first skin has a rectangular opening approximately 5-1/4"w x 15"h on
    the back just above the hole for the power cord. The chassis doesn't
    have any corresponding openings that would require an opening in the
    skin.

    The second skin is just like the first except it doesn't have the
    opening.

    Does anyone know why the skins are different; and, why is there an
    opening on one that doesn't seem to serve any purpose?

    Just curious, thanks.

    EBS

  2. Re: Crimson Skins - How many different rear one are there?

    "Everett B. Simonds" wrote:

    > I have two rear skins from Crimsons. The skin currently on my RE
    > machine is:
    >
    > W6-CRIM150RE
    > CMN A008
    > S25119
    >
    > The other one is:
    >
    > W6-4DCR64S
    > CMN A008
    > S24485
    >
    > The first skin has a rectangular opening approximately 5-1/4"w x 15"h on
    > the back just above the hole for the power cord. The chassis doesn't
    > have any corresponding openings that would require an opening in the
    > skin.
    >
    > The second skin is just like the first except it doesn't have the
    > opening.
    >
    > Does anyone know why the skins are different; and, why is there an
    > opening on one that doesn't seem to serve any purpose?
    >
    > Just curious, thanks.
    >
    > EBS

    Hmm. I just checked with my Crimson. The horseshoe-shaped cut-out in the
    back skin makes it possible to plug in the big American style(?)
    powercord and to reach/toggle the rear powerswitch.

    A very bad ASCII-drawing of the lower left cutout on the back of my
    CrimsonRE:

    ___________
    | |
    | xD |
    | |
    | ~~ |
    ( (OO) )
    ( ~~ )
    V V
    VVVVV

    ~~
    Where the "xD" is the powerswitch and the "(OO)"īs supposed to be the
    big round Powerplug.
    ~~
    Maybe this "extra" opening is for a non present Powerswitch?

    Niclas
    ___

    SiliconGraphics, Computing in Style.

  3. Re: Crimson Skins - How many different rear one are there?

    On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 00:07:21 +0100
    Niclas Steinel-Hansson wrote:

    > "Everett B. Simonds" wrote:
    > >
    > > I have two rear skins from Crimsons. The skin currently on my RE
    > > machine is:
    > >
    > > W6-CRIM150RE
    > > CMN A008
    > > S25119
    > >
    > > The other one is:
    > >
    > > W6-4DCR64S
    > > CMN A008
    > > S24485
    > >
    > > The first skin has a rectangular opening approximately 5-1/4"w x
    > > 15"h on the back just above the hole for the power cord. The
    > > chassis doesn't have any corresponding openings that would require
    > > an opening in the skin.
    > >
    > > The second skin is just like the first except it doesn't have the
    > > opening.
    > >
    > > Does anyone know why the skins are different; and, why is there an
    > > opening on one that doesn't seem to serve any purpose?
    > >
    > > Just curious, thanks.
    > >
    > > EBS

    > Hmm. I just checked with my Crimson. The horseshoe-shaped cut-out in
    > the back skin makes it possible to plug in the big American style(?)
    > powercord and to reach/toggle the rear powerswitch.
    >
    > A very bad ASCII-drawing of the lower left cutout on the back of my
    > CrimsonRE:
    >

    > ___________
    > | |
    > | xD |
    > | |
    > | ~~ |
    > ( (OO) )
    > ( ~~ )
    > V V
    > VVVVV
    >

    > ~~
    > Where the "xD" is the powerswitch and the "(OO)"īs supposed to be the
    > big round Powerplug.
    > ~~
    > Maybe this "extra" opening is for a non present Powerswitch?
    >

    > Niclas
    > ___
    >
    > SiliconGraphics, Computing in Style.

    Niclas:

    Both of mine have the "horseshoe" shaped opening for the power cable.
    The one with the Reality Engine s/n has the rectangular opening above
    the horshoe. There's no question that the skin came from the factory
    that way, ie. it's not something that someone cut out of the back. It's
    definetly molded into the piece.

    I just can't figure out what it's for?

    Any Crimson owners have any idea?

    Thanks.