Indy tod clock - SGI

This is a discussion on Indy tod clock - SGI ; So I have the dreaded dead Indy CMOS battery (cannot set tod clock). My question is, where exactly does the battery live on the boards? Is it on the processor board or the mainboard? I'm going out on a limb ...

  1. Indy tod clock

    So I have the dreaded dead Indy CMOS battery (cannot set tod clock). My
    question is, where exactly does the battery live on the boards? Is it
    on the processor board or the mainboard?

    I'm going out on a limb here, but anyone actually manage to replace the
    chip instead of getting a whole new board?

    Thanks in advance for any tips!

    -Mike

  2. Re: Indy tod clock

    Michael J. Sherman wrote:

    > So I have the dreaded dead Indy CMOS battery (cannot set tod clock). My
    > question is, where exactly does the battery live on the boards? Is it
    > on the processor board or the mainboard?
    >
    > I'm going out on a limb here, but anyone actually manage to replace the
    > chip instead of getting a whole new board?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any tips!
    >
    > -Mike

    $50 on ebay should buy you a pallet of old indys for spare parts.

    cosmos See no linux
    @ Hear no linux
    hepcat.org Speak no linux

  3. Re: Indy tod clock

    "Michael J. Sherman" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

    > So I have the dreaded dead Indy CMOS battery (cannot set tod clock). My
    > question is, where exactly does the battery live on the boards? Is it
    > on the processor board or the mainboard?

    I never seen THIS message on a indy system. Only on my indigo systems. On
    those the battery can change easily (when have a r3000) and with some clue
    on r4000 based too.
    Read http://sgistuff.g-lenerz.de/document...attery-faq.txt

    When the indy died the DALLES ship is problem and its located on the
    motherboard. But that gives only a 'wrong ethernet address' msg during
    bootup.
    Read http://www.pimpworks.org/sgi/dallas.html

    regards
    Joerg

    --
    TakeNet GmbH Mobil: 0171/60 57 963
    D-97080 Wuerzburg Tel: +49 931 903-2243

  4. Re: Indy tod clock

    cosmos wrote:

    > Michael J. Sherman wrote:
    >
    >>So I have the dreaded dead Indy CMOS battery (cannot set tod clock). My
    >>question is, where exactly does the battery live on the boards? Is it
    >>on the processor board or the mainboard?
    >>
    >>I'm going out on a limb here, but anyone actually manage to replace the
    >>chip instead of getting a whole new board?
    >>
    >>Thanks in advance for any tips!
    >>
    >>-Mike

    > $50 on ebay should buy you a pallet of old indys for spare parts.

    Yeah, I've been watching eBay for a week or so now. Too many sellers
    still are jacking the shipping waaaay up. $24 for the Indy and $35
    shipping. What?

    I was just tring to explore all my options before going that route.
    From what I've read, the CMOS battery is in a chip soldered on the
    board (unlike the Indigo systems that let you just use a $5 replaceable
    battery). So I'm trying to figure out if the battery is on the
    processor board. In that case I can just buy a R5000 upgrade board
    instead of buying the whole motherboard and everything.

    Thanks for the help.

  5. Re: Indy tod clock

    Michael J. Sherman wrote:

    > cosmos wrote:
    >
    >> Michael J. Sherman wrote:
    >>
    >>> So I have the dreaded dead Indy CMOS battery (cannot set tod clock).
    >>> My question is, where exactly does the battery live on the boards?
    >>> Is it on the processor board or the mainboard?
    >>>
    >>> I'm going out on a limb here, but anyone actually manage to replace
    >>> the chip instead of getting a whole new board?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in advance for any tips!
    >>>
    >>> -Mike

    >> $50 on ebay should buy you a pallet of old indys for spare parts.

    > Yeah, I've been watching eBay for a week or so now. Too many sellers
    > still are jacking the shipping waaaay up. $24 for the Indy and $35
    > shipping. What?
    >
    > I was just tring to explore all my options before going that route. From
    > what I've read, the CMOS battery is in a chip soldered on the board
    > (unlike the Indigo systems that let you just use a $5 replaceable
    > battery). So I'm trying to figure out if the battery is on the
    > processor board. In that case I can just buy a R5000 upgrade board
    > instead of buying the whole motherboard and everything.
    >
    > Thanks for the help.

    Whatever you read is wrong, the NVRAM battery is inside the chip marked
    DALLAS. You will need to replace that chip to get the clock and any
    information stored in NVRAM to work again.

    http://www.pimpworks.org/sgi/dallas.html

  6. Re: Indy tod clock

    Fishbulb wrote:
    > Michael J. Sherman wrote:
    >
    >> cosmos wrote:

    >>> $50 on ebay should buy you a pallet of old indys for spare parts.

    >> Yeah, I've been watching eBay for a week or so now. Too many sellers
    >> still are jacking the shipping waaaay up. $24 for the Indy and $35
    >> shipping. What?
    >>
    >> I was just tring to explore all my options before going that route.
    >> From what I've read, the CMOS battery is in a chip soldered on the
    >> board (unlike the Indigo systems that let you just use a $5
    >> replaceable battery). So I'm trying to figure out if the battery is
    >> on the processor board. In that case I can just buy a R5000 upgrade
    >> board instead of buying the whole motherboard and everything.
    >>
    >> Thanks for the help.

    > Whatever you read is wrong, the NVRAM battery is inside the chip marked
    > DALLAS. You will need to replace that chip to get the clock and any
    > information stored in NVRAM to work again.
    >
    > http://www.pimpworks.org/sgi/dallas.html

    I found that page and it answered my questions. I was able to get past
    the 'tod clock' error and I did indeed see the ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    internet address, so the Dallas chip is indeed the culprit.

    Now I'm trying to get Dallas Semiconductor to sell me just one. Seems
    like they don't like selling to individuals. Anyone have another
    distributor or source for these chips?

    Thanks!
    -Mike

  7. Re: Indy tod clock

    "Michael J. Sherman" wrote:

    > cosmos wrote:
    >
    > > Michael J. Sherman wrote:
    > >
    > >>So I have the dreaded dead Indy CMOS battery (cannot set tod clock). My
    > >>question is, where exactly does the battery live on the boards? Is it
    > >>on the processor board or the mainboard?
    > >>
    > >>I'm going out on a limb here, but anyone actually manage to replace the
    > >>chip instead of getting a whole new board?
    > >>
    > >>Thanks in advance for any tips!
    > >>
    > >>-Mike

    > > $50 on ebay should buy you a pallet of old indys for spare parts.

    > Yeah, I've been watching eBay for a week or so now. Too many sellers
    > still are jacking the shipping waaaay up. $24 for the Indy and $35
    > shipping. What?

    next big thing : open shipping

    > I was just tring to explore all my options before going that route.
    > From what I've read, the CMOS battery is in a chip soldered on the
    > board (unlike the Indigo systems that let you just use a $5 replaceable
    > battery). So I'm trying to figure out if the battery is on the
    > processor board. In that case I can just buy a R5000 upgrade board
    > instead of buying the whole motherboard and everything.
    >
    > Thanks for the help.

  8. Re: Indy tod clock

    The clock (and battery) live in the (socketted) Dallas DS 1386 located
    at the front of the motherboard. These units contain the clock/memory
    chip and a lithium battery with a design life of 10 years. How long it
    will actually last depends on chance and how much the Indy was powered
    up during its life.

    Buying old Indy's for spare is not much use since they are all about the
    same age.

    The Dallas units are still available new from electronic component
    supply houses, the last time anyone quoted a price it was about $25.

    It is said that you can file the potting compound away till you see the
    battery, cut one of the internal wires to the dead battery and solder a
    standard Lithium cell (3 volt) onto the internal wires. I have not had
    to do this (yet) but see no reason why it should not work. The actual
    chip will be at the bottom ot the package.

    Success

    Michael

    SkyWriter wrote:
    > "Michael J. Sherman" wrote: