DIY Sleds for an O2 hard-drive - SGI

This is a discussion on DIY Sleds for an O2 hard-drive - SGI ; Howdy again: After the overwhelmingly-simple solution for hard-drives into my Octane, I am hopeful of a similar simple/low-buck answer for my O2: Any good ideass for mounting drives in this baby? I had the idea to try a spare audio-carrier, ...

  1. DIY Sleds for an O2 hard-drive

    Howdy again:

    After the overwhelmingly-simple solution for hard-drives
    into my Octane, I am hopeful of a similar simple/low-buck answer
    for my O2: Any good ideass for mounting drives in this baby?

    I had the idea to try a spare audio-carrier, but the small
    bumps in the hard-drive bay prevent a clean fit of this plastic,
    and there'd be a lot of hacking to be done :-(

    Thanks in advance!
    -Gord

    --
    Gordon Pritchard, P.Eng. VA7GP
    White Rock, B.C. Canada

  2. Re: DIY Sleds for an O2 hard-drive

    Gordon Pritchard wrote:
    > Howdy again:
    >
    > After the overwhelmingly-simple solution for hard-drives
    > into my Octane, I am hopeful of a similar simple/low-buck answer
    > for my O2: Any good ideass for mounting drives in this baby?
    >
    > I had the idea to try a spare audio-carrier, but the small
    > bumps in the hard-drive bay prevent a clean fit of this plastic,
    > and there'd be a lot of hacking to be done :-(
    >
    > Thanks in advance!
    > -Gord

    You don't really need a pesky and expensive fan in an O2 either, just
    continuously blow on it really hard.

    Also, you can build a perfectly good CDROM tray cover for the O2 using
    cardboard and a blue magic marker.

    Come to think of it, you don't really even need the expensive
    proprietary system module with the fragile plastic lever thingy either;
    just mount the motherboard on a piece of glass with some chewing gum and
    baling twine...

    -zolo

  3. Re: DIY Sleds for an O2 hard-drive

    On 2004-02-28 19:10:56 +1100, zolo said:

    > Also, you can build a perfectly good CDROM tray cover for the O2 using
    > cardboard and a blue magic marker.

    Don't laugh; I'll bet it's been tried.

    So far I've managed not to break any plastics on my O2, but I've seen
    enough O2s without CD bezels to know that the ill-fated Origin plastics
    lived on in this model...

    best always,

    Dave @ ATMOS

    --
    Dafydd Williams
    Project Lead

    web: http://www.atmos.com.au
    email: pipeline@atmos.com.au

  4. Re: DIY Sleds for an O2 hard-drive

    Gordon Pritchard wrote:
    > After the overwhelmingly-simple solution for hard-drives
    > into my Octane, I am hopeful of a similar simple/low-buck answer
    > for my O2: Any good ideass for mounting drives in this baby?

    I have to say, if it means having something that works absolutely
    as it's supposed to, an original sled isn't really that expensive
    now. In fact pretty cheap. I sell them of course, but you're in
    Canada so shipping would be a bit. Have you tried Andromeda Systems?
    I think they're in Canada and their prices were usually pretty good.

    Cheers!

    Ian.

    SGI Depot: http://www.futuretech.blinkenlights.nl/advert/ian.html
    Email: mapesdhs@yahoo.com
    Backup email (send copy to this too): im011f3554@blueyonder.co.uk
    Home: +44 (0)131 477 1142 (best to call this number first)
    Mobile: 07743 495403 (usually off; leave a message and I'll call back)

    SGI/Future Technology/N64: http://www.futuretech.blinkenlights.nl/
    Doom Help Service (DHS): http://www.gamers.org/dhs/

+ Reply to Thread