surround sound with the 8 channel digital audio PCI card? - SGI

This is a discussion on surround sound with the 8 channel digital audio PCI card? - SGI ; Hi, I want to know if its possible to produce surround sound with the 8 channel digital audio PCI card (model number PCI-AUD-D1000). I can't find any option on the apanel to do this. The card is working in stereo. ...

  1. surround sound with the 8 channel digital audio PCI card?

    Hi,

    I want to know if its possible to produce surround sound with the 8
    channel digital audio PCI card (model number PCI-AUD-D1000). I can't
    find any option on the apanel to do this.

    The card is working in stereo.
    Any special software installation?

    Any experiences?

    Thank you

    --
    Nino Pineda

  2. Re: surround sound with the 8 channel digital audio PCI card?

    Nino Pineda wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I want to know if its possible to produce surround sound with the 8
    > channel digital audio PCI card (model number PCI-AUD-D1000). I can't
    > find any option on the apanel to do this.
    >
    > The card is working in stereo.
    > Any special software installation?
    >
    > Any experiences?
    >
    > Thank you
    >
    > --
    > Nino Pineda

    they are expensive. avoid british sellers, they have unreal
    expectations.

  3. Re: surround sound with the 8 channel digital audio PCI card?

    On Thu, 26 Feb 2004, Nino Pineda wrote:

    > Hi,
    >

    > I want to know if its possible to produce surround sound with the 8
    > channel digital audio PCI card (model number PCI-AUD-D1000). I can't
    > find any option on the apanel to do this.
    >
    > The card is working in stereo.
    > Any special software installation?
    >
    > Any experiences?

    I've had no experience with that particular card, but the M-Audio
    Revolution card might be a viable alternative - it has 7.1 sound outputs
    and digital co-ax, and works in Octanes running 6.5.20 or better.

    The same card works in Origin200's too, I had my Origin as a big mp3
    player for a while.

    The 'apanel' applet gives you 8 MAD.1 analog audio volume sliders once the
    card is installed, I posted a snapshot here:

    http://smharr4.dnsalias.net/computer...revolution.png

    The "MAD" controls are for the 'Revolution' card, you can buy them from
    almost any PC vendor for around $99

    --
    Steven Harrison

    0 OK, 0:1

  4. Re: surround sound with the 8 channel digital audio PCI card?

    Hallo,

    I am new to the SGI & Octane and I am trying to make use of the facilities
    that this beautiful machine has.

    What I would like to do with it is to use it as a DAW, as it can be used as
    a very nice synthesiser/sampler and also as a multitrack recording machine.
    Is there any software like soutrack or so that could take andvantage of
    these facilities. For example record eight discreet audio channels and then
    play them back from the optical ADAT output of the Octane, having the
    ability to select where each channel goes, - output 1 through 8 - , not
    mixed in Stereo, and also do some basic DSP functions such as dynamics, EQ
    etc. and some basic midi sequencing?

    Thank you for help in my first steps.

    regards

    Costas Petrou

    "Nino Pineda" wrote in message
    news:b188b9e9.0402261411.5fd2be@posting.google.com ...

    > Hi,
    >

    > I want to know if its possible to produce surround sound with the 8
    > channel digital audio PCI card (model number PCI-AUD-D1000). I can't
    > find any option on the apanel to do this.
    >
    > The card is working in stereo.
    > Any special software installation?
    >
    > Any experiences?
    >

    > Thank you
    >

    > --
    > Nino Pineda

  5. Re: surround sound with the 8 channel digital audio PCI card?

    Costas Petrou wrote:

    > Hallo,
    >
    > I am new to the SGI & Octane and I am trying to make use of the facilities
    > that this beautiful machine has.
    >
    > What I would like to do with it is to use it as a DAW, as it can be used as
    > a very nice synthesiser/sampler and also as a multitrack recording machine.
    > Is there any software like soutrack or so that could take andvantage of
    > these facilities. For example record eight discreet audio channels and then
    > play them back from the optical ADAT output of the Octane, having the
    > ability to select where each channel goes, - output 1 through 8 - , not
    > mixed in Stereo, and also do some basic DSP functions such as dynamics, EQ
    > etc. and some basic midi sequencing?

    you have to roll your own software. i have three such cards in one of my
    octanes for exactly
    those purposes.

    > Thank you for help in my first steps.
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Costas Petrou
    >
    > "Nino Pineda" wrote in message
    > news:b188b9e9.0402261411.5fd2be@posting.google.com ...
    > >
    > > Hi,
    > >

    > > I want to know if its possible to produce surround sound with the 8
    > > channel digital audio PCI card (model number PCI-AUD-D1000). I can't
    > > find any option on the apanel to do this.
    > >
    > > The card is working in stereo.
    > > Any special software installation?
    > >
    > > Any experiences?
    > >

    > > Thank you
    > >

    > > --
    > > Nino Pineda

  6. Re: surround sound with the 8 channel digital audio PCI card?

    Steven Harrison wrote:

    > I've had no experience with that particular card, but the M-Audio
    > Revolution card might be a viable alternative - it has 7.1 sound outputs
    > and digital co-ax, and works in Octanes running 6.5.20 or better.

    On an Octane, it also gives you just 8 independent channels.

    --
    Alexis Cousein Senior Systems Engineer
    alexis@sgi.com SGI/Silicon Graphics Brussels

    Nobody Expects the Belgian Inquisition!