DIY drive sleds for Octane - SGI

This is a discussion on DIY drive sleds for Octane - SGI ; Hi, all: Has anyone ever made their own drive carriers for an Octane? I have a couple of Octanes, but no sleds :-( After looking around, the pricing seemed to range from $38 for new/aftermarket, to circa-$100 for official SGI. ...

  1. DIY drive sleds for Octane

    Hi, all:

    Has anyone ever made their own drive carriers for an Octane?
    I have a couple of Octanes, but no sleds :-( After looking
    around, the pricing seemed to range from $38 for new/aftermarket,
    to circa-$100 for official SGI.

    While the bail-handles are very nice, as is the front drive
    cover, I am thinking I could live without the refinements...

    From my first look, it appears that if I start with some
    1/2" x 1-1/2" angle, that I can easily get a drive to hang off
    the Octane rails. Maybe add a tab to the underside of the rail
    (so the drive won't jump off :-) ).

    I am also toying with the idea of a couple of springy,
    slightly-curved strips with holes drilled in the end, which
    engage onto the Octane's locking-pins; simpler than the locking
    handle.

    Thoughts? Ideas? Other's who have gone before? I am
    hoping this is in the $10 Home Depot ballpark....

    -Gord

    --
    Gordon Pritchard, P.Eng.¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬* | Institute of Electrical and
    Research Labs Manager¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬* |¬*¬*¬*¬*¬* Electronics Engineers

  2. Re: DIY drive sleds for Octane

    > Has anyone ever made their own drive carriers for an Octane?

    I have two 4GB drives in my Octane resting on two cd-rom slimcases
    Works for me...

    Jeroen

  3. Re: DIY drive sleds for Octane

    Have you tried ebay? There are a bunch of sleds on sale there for
    $10-$20. (o2 sleds are a bit higher but Octane stuff isn't too bad)

    -Chris

    Gordon Pritchard wrote in message news:...
    > Hi, all:
    >
    > Has anyone ever made their own drive carriers for an Octane?
    > I have a couple of Octanes, but no sleds :-( After looking
    > around, the pricing seemed to range from $38 for new/aftermarket,
    > to circa-$100 for official SGI.
    >
    > While the bail-handles are very nice, as is the front drive
    > cover, I am thinking I could live without the refinements...
    >
    > From my first look, it appears that if I start with some
    > 1/2" x 1-1/2" angle, that I can easily get a drive to hang off
    > the Octane rails. Maybe add a tab to the underside of the rail
    > (so the drive won't jump off :-) ).
    >
    > I am also toying with the idea of a couple of springy,
    > slightly-curved strips with holes drilled in the end, which
    > engage onto the Octane's locking-pins; simpler than the locking
    > handle.
    >
    > Thoughts? Ideas? Other's who have gone before? I am
    > hoping this is in the $10 Home Depot ballpark....
    >
    > -Gord

  4. Re: DIY drive sleds for Octane

    If you're not moving your Octane around- if you have one disk sled, a
    half-height cd case will support the second drive up, and a normal cd
    case should support the top drive (drives are then the right height
    for the SCA-2 connectors). If you don't have a sled for the bottom
    drive, playing around with combinations of cd cases may help.

    Matt Finbow.

    Gordon Pritchard wrote in message news:...
    > Hi, all:
    >
    > Has anyone ever made their own drive carriers for an Octane?
    > I have a couple of Octanes, but no sleds :-( After looking
    > around, the pricing seemed to range from $38 for new/aftermarket,
    > to circa-$100 for official SGI.
    >
    > While the bail-handles are very nice, as is the front drive
    > cover, I am thinking I could live without the refinements...
    >
    > From my first look, it appears that if I start with some
    > 1/2" x 1-1/2" angle, that I can easily get a drive to hang off
    > the Octane rails. Maybe add a tab to the underside of the rail
    > (so the drive won't jump off :-) ).
    >
    > I am also toying with the idea of a couple of springy,
    > slightly-curved strips with holes drilled in the end, which
    > engage onto the Octane's locking-pins; simpler than the locking
    > handle.
    >
    > Thoughts? Ideas? Other's who have gone before? I am
    > hoping this is in the $10 Home Depot ballpark....
    >
    > -Gord

  5. Re: DIY drive sleds for Octane

    >> Has anyone ever made their own drive carriers for an
    >> Octane?

    Jeroen> I have two 4GB drives in my Octane resting on two
    Jeroen> cd-rom slimcases Works for me...

    This is *great*. I tried it in three of my Octanes, and
    those slim-CD cases worked absolutely perfectly!! It' almost as
    though the drive-bay were made expressly for this use!

    It's about as low-buck as I can imagine. I think I may try
    to do something to help ensure the hard-drive stays plugged in,
    although in a domestic setting, it'll probably be OK.

    I also note that my Seagate 18GB/10krpm drive runs nice and
    cool in the bay, which also makes me very happy.

    Just gotta get some blue LED's for the light bar now :-)

    Thanks to everyone with the suggestions,
    -Gord

    --
    Gordon Pritchard, P.Eng. VA7GP
    White Rock, B.C. Canada

  6. Re: DIY drive sleds for Octane

    > >> Has anyone ever made their own drive carriers for an
    > >> Octane?

    > Jeroen> I have two 4GB drives in my Octane resting on two
    > Jeroen> cd-rom slimcases Works for me...
    >
    > This is *great*. I tried it in three of my Octanes, and
    > those slim-CD cases worked absolutely perfectly!! It' almost as
    > though the drive-bay were made expressly for this use!

    As long as you don't move your Octanes too often the only thing that
    could be a problem is the airflow. I don't know if there normally is
    some airflow from top to bottom or bottem to top. That is of course
    blocked by the cd cases.

    And could a hot 15k rpm drive melt itself into a cd case??

    > It's about as low-buck as I can imagine. I think I may try
    > to do something to help ensure the hard-drive stays plugged in,
    > although in a domestic setting, it'll probably be OK.

    Let me know if you think of something, :-)

    Jeroen

  7. Re: DIY drive sleds for Octane

    for the risk of trashing my 72Gb disks and destroying my file system I
    think I'd rather pay £10 for the sled..... But nice to see a good botch
    that works :-)

    *********************
    Khalid Schofield
    System Administrator / EM Technician
    Dept. Of Materials
    University Of Oxford
    Parks Road
    Oxford
    OX1 3PH

    Tel: 01865 273785
    Fax: 01865 283333

    On Fri, 27 Feb 2004, Jeroen Resoort wrote:

    > > Jeroen> I have two 4GB drives in my Octane resting on two
    > > Jeroen> cd-rom slimcases Works for me...
    > >
    > > This is *great*. I tried it in three of my Octanes, and
    > > those slim-CD cases worked absolutely perfectly!! It' almost as
    > > though the drive-bay were made expressly for this use!

    > As long as you don't move your Octanes too often the only thing that
    > could be a problem is the airflow. I don't know if there normally is
    > some airflow from top to bottom or bottem to top. That is of course
    > blocked by the cd cases.
    >
    > And could a hot 15k rpm drive melt itself into a cd case??
    >
    > > It's about as low-buck as I can imagine. I think I may try
    > > to do something to help ensure the hard-drive stays plugged in,
    > > although in a domestic setting, it'll probably be OK.

    > Let me know if you think of something, :-)
    >
    > Jeroen

  8. Re: DIY drive sleds for Octane

    Jeroen Resoort wrote:

    > And could a hot 15k rpm drive melt itself into a cd case??

    I don't know about older generations of 15K RPM drives, but the newest
    ones don't run very hot at all. My drives (Seagate 15K.3 family) never
    get above 30 degrees C according to SMART. That's certainly not going
    to melt plastic.

  9. Re: DIY drive sleds for Octane

    On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 03:18:21 UTC, Gordon Pritchard
    wrote:

    > I also note that my Seagate 18GB/10krpm drive runs nice and
    > cool in the bay, which also makes me very happy.
    >
    > -Gord

    Do you have any jumpers set on that drive, and is it the only drive?

    My ST118202LC won't sustain initial spinup- keeps cycling:
    "whoosh-dit, whoosh-dit, whoosh-dit, etc".
    This while it is only drive in Octane.

    Btw, great on the cd-case sleds!
    --
    sp
    ~~~~

    --
    note bene: reply domain disfuncked...

  10. Re: DIY drive sleds for Octane

    Gordon Pritchard wrote:

    > >> Has anyone ever made their own drive carriers for an
    > >> Octane?

    > Jeroen> I have two 4GB drives in my Octane resting on two
    > Jeroen> cd-rom slimcases Works for me...

    > This is *great*. I tried it in three of my Octanes, and
    > those slim-CD cases worked absolutely perfectly!! It' almost as
    > though the drive-bay were made expressly for this use!

    If you find that amusing, my Origin 2000 (yes, at home) originally had
    the boot drive and first user drive supported on rubber window wedges.
    It now sports two drive sleds which I made from black ABS plastic, as
    copies (and pretty good ones, though I say it myself) of the real thing.

    --
    Pete Peter Turnbull
    Network Manager

  11. Re: DIY drive sleds for Octane

    Jeroen> As long as you don't move your Octanes too often the
    Jeroen> only thing that could be a problem is the airflow.

    Jeroen> And could a hot 15k rpm drive melt itself into a cd
    Jeroen> case??

    I am using Seagate 10krpm 18GB drives, and after 1/2-hour of
    operation, I checked the temperature with my hand... it's only
    slightly above ambient!!

    After overnight, plus a full-install (nearly) which included
    more than simply spinning the platters, again, it's just above
    ambient. I can believe the other Poster's SMART readout of
    30degC.

    -Gord

    --
    Gordon Pritchard, P.Eng. VA7GP