Having problems with a Challenge or Onyx? Help is at hand (diagnostics manual...) - SGI

This is a discussion on Having problems with a Challenge or Onyx? Help is at hand (diagnostics manual...) - SGI ; Dear All, I've added the Challenge/Onyx Diagnostics Roadmap technical manual to my site. This should prove very useful to anyone who is having problems with a Challenge or Onyx system. The guide is on my site just as a series ...

  1. Having problems with a Challenge or Onyx? Help is at hand (diagnostics manual...)

    Dear All,

    I've added the Challenge/Onyx Diagnostics Roadmap technical manual to
    my site. This should prove very useful to anyone who is having problems
    with a Challenge or Onyx system.

    The guide is on my site just as a series of images at the moment as
    I wanted to get it online as quickly as possible. I'll do an OCR
    job on it later. The URL is:

    http://www.futuretech.blinkenlights.nl/chalonyxdiag/

    Hope it proves handy!

    Cheers!

    Ian.

    SGI Depot: http://www.futuretech.blinkenlights.nl/advert/ian.html
    Email: mapesdhs@yahoo.com
    Backup email (send copy to this too): im011f3554@blueyonder.co.uk
    Home: +44 (0)131 477 1142 (best to call this number first)
    Mobile: 07743 495403 (usually off; leave a message and I'll call back)

    SGI/Future Technology/N64: http://www.futuretech.blinkenlights.nl/
    Doom Help Service (DHS): http://www.gamers.org/dhs/

  2. Re: Having problems with a Challenge or Onyx? Help is at hand (diagnostics manual...)

    On 2004-02-26 13:51:30 +1100, mapesdhs@yahoo.com (Ian Mapleson) said:

    > Hope it proves handy!

    Thanks, Ian. This will be very helpful - I have recently acquired two
    Challenge deskside units with 8 and 12 procs a piece, and tweaking them
    into perfect running order has been, uh, challenging for both myself
    and my local SGI support tech.

    best always,

    Dave @ ATMOS

    --
    Dafydd Williams
    Project Lead

    web: http://www.atmos.com.au
    email: pipeline@atmos.com.au

  3. Re: Having problems with a Challenge or Onyx? Help is at hand (diagnostics manual...)

    Dafydd Williams wrote:
    > Thanks, Ian. This will be very helpful - I have recently acquired two
    > Challenge deskside units with 8 and 12 procs a piece, and tweaking them
    > into perfect running order has been, uh, challenging for both myself
    > and my local SGI support tech.

    Anytime! I have some further maintenance manuals to scan, but I'd like
    to OCR this diag book first. Once it's OCRd, I'll then scan in the
    Challenge/Onyx parts compatibility manual, which should also prove
    very useful to those hunting for spars, swapping bits, etc.

    Cheers!

    Ian.

    SGI Depot: http://www.futuretech.blinkenlights.nl/advert/ian.html
    Email: mapesdhs@yahoo.com
    Backup email (send copy to this too): im011f3554@blueyonder.co.uk
    Home: +44 (0)131 477 1142 (best to call this number first)
    Mobile: 07743 495403 (usually off; leave a message and I'll call back)

    SGI/Future Technology/N64: http://www.futuretech.blinkenlights.nl/
    Doom Help Service (DHS): http://www.gamers.org/dhs/

  4. Re: Having problems with a Challenge or Onyx? Help is at hand (diagnostics manual...)

    On 2004-03-03 03:10:06 +1100, mapesdhs@yahoo.com (Ian Mapleson) said:

    > Anytime! I have some further maintenance manuals to scan, but I'd like
    > to OCR this diag book first. Once it's OCRd, I'll then scan in the
    > Challenge/Onyx parts compatibility manual, which should also prove
    > very useful to those hunting for spars, swapping bits, etc.

    It certainly will; I have a KONAS backplane sitting here that's ready
    to drop into one of the two units. InfiniteReality, here I come.

    best always,

    Dave @ ATMOS

    --
    Dafydd Williams
    Project Lead
    ATMOS Software Productions Pty Ltd

    web: http://www.atmos.com.au
    email: pipeline@atmos.com.au

  5. Re: Having problems with a Challenge or Onyx? Help is at hand (diagnosticsmanual...)

    Dafydd Williams wrote:
    > On 2004-03-03 03:10:06 +1100, mapesdhs@yahoo.com (Ian Mapleson) said:
    > I have some further maintenance manuals to scan,

    is it the case that all the older powerseries/challenge stuff was only
    available as *printed* material and there are no *electronic* versions
    or could i have some of those lying round on old SGI cds that i dont
    know about ?.

    r15k

  6. Re: Having problems with a Challenge or Onyx? Help is at hand (diagnosticsmanual...)

    r15k wrote:

    > Dafydd Williams wrote:
    >
    >> On 2004-03-03 03:10:06 +1100, mapesdhs@yahoo.com (Ian Mapleson) said:
    >> I have some further maintenance manuals to scan,

    > is it the case that all the older powerseries/challenge stuff was only
    > available as *printed* material and there are no *electronic* versions
    > or could i have some of those lying round on old SGI cds that i dont
    > know about ?.
    >
    > r15k

    IIRC, only the 4D series (i.e. before the Challenge, and including
    the Power series but excluding the PowerChallenge) didn't have
    electronic manuals.

    --
    Alexis Cousein Senior Systems Engineer
    alexis@sgi.com SGI/Silicon Graphics Brussels