Cheetah won't spin - SGI

This is a discussion on Cheetah won't spin - SGI ; Seagate ST118202LC 18gb drive won't spin and is stone cold after session. Irix 6.5.21 startup diagnostics gives general condemnation of entire scsi system. Plus repeated comments re drive 2 won't spin. This drive appears 'identical' to a 50gb Barracuda that ...

  1. Cheetah won't spin

    Seagate ST118202LC 18gb drive won't spin and is stone cold after
    session. Irix 6.5.21 startup diagnostics gives general condemnation of
    entire scsi system. Plus repeated comments re drive 2 won't spin.

    This drive appears 'identical' to a 50gb Barracuda that I just
    successfully initialized as an option drive, using no jumpers at all.
    The jumper scheme and labels are the same for the two Seagate drives.

    I only have one of those tiny Seagate jumpers (wider than they are
    tall) and I tried it in these 3 positions:

    motor start enable
    delay motor start
    force single ended

    to no avail.

    Before I return this drive to the seller is there something else I
    might try?

    I also did a Fuji 36gb successfully using no jumpers, but of course it
    is a different animal...
    --
    sp
    ~~~~

    --

  2. Re: Cheetah won't spin

    In article ,
    wrote:
    >Seagate ST118202LC 18gb drive won't spin and is stone cold after
    >session. Irix 6.5.21 startup diagnostics gives general condemnation of
    >entire scsi system. Plus repeated comments re drive 2 won't spin.

    [ ... ]

    Sounds like good old Seagate Stiction--the lubricant has congealed
    around the spindle and the drive electronics can't push hard enough
    to break it loose.

    Try to break it loose manually; pull the drive, hold it by the sides so
    that the spindle is in line with your forearm (meaning your hand is
    tipped back) and twist the drive as rapidly as you can around the axis
    of the spindle.

    The objective is to rotate the assembly fast enough that the inertia
    of the platters will be enough to break the lubricant loose, so snap
    it around as quickly as you can.

    Give it five or six tries, then see if the drive will spin up. If it
    does, copy off your data, wipe, and _then_ return the drive.

    They've had this problem since the days of 200MB 5.25" drives; maybe
    someday Seagate will find a decent lube.

    Gary

    --
    Gary Heston gheston@hiwaay.net

    Contrary to popular opinion, _not_ everyone loves Raymond.

  3. Re: Cheetah won't spin

    wrote in message news:...
    > Seagate ST118202LC 18gb drive won't spin and is stone cold after
    > session. Irix 6.5.21 startup diagnostics gives general condemnation of
    > entire scsi system. Plus repeated comments re drive 2 won't spin.

    (snip)

    Try this:

    Take the drive out, hold it at a 45 degree angle and tap it on a hard
    surface. One or two nice firm taps. The knock on wood sort of taps,
    not little scared of breaking the drive taps, and not pissed that it
    won't spin taps either

    This helps if the drive is cold.

    I once did this to rescue a filesystem from a disk that had been
    spinning for a few years. Once it stopped, it would not start
    reliably. In my case, the cold helped. Few minutes in a plastic bag
    in the freezer, plus a tap or two got it spinning again. Used it for
    about another week until I could replace it.

    If it spins, then you know it has a worn bearing or motor. (Or
    perhaps the power source is a bit on the weak side

    > Before I return this drive to the seller is there something else I
    > might try?

    Return it, you don't want the drive... This is a rescue / desperation
    sort of thing really.

  4. Re: Cheetah won't spin

    On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 22:44:01 UTC, wrote:

    Thanx for the replies. I already did the manual axil spin on it. I was
    thinking more along the lines of a jumper problem not getting voltage
    to the motor. Especially since my drive stays cold. You'd think a
    stuck platter would still generate heat, maybe even more than when
    spinning.

    The exact logic of the 3 jumpers escapes me and Seagate's page does
    not help. Google gives references to situations where each of these
    jumper positions solved a particular problem for someone.

    Btw, this is on an Octane. The hd is not NOS like the other two, but
    'pulled from a supercomputer'- gotta read the small print.

    Looking it over I get clues that it might be of 1998 manufacture- a
    bit long in the tooth. Back it goes.
    --
    sp
    ~~~~