SCSI-IDE adaper for CDROM on INDY - SGI

This is a discussion on SCSI-IDE adaper for CDROM on INDY - SGI ; I bought AEC-7720U adapter from acard and I am trying to boot my INDY from an IDE cdrom ( hitachi 24x), but no luck). Any ideas about the jumper / terminations switches on the card itself . BTW I left ...

  1. SCSI-IDE adaper for CDROM on INDY

    I bought AEC-7720U adapter from acard and I am trying to boot my INDY from
    an IDE cdrom ( hitachi 24x), but no luck). Any ideas about the jumper /
    terminations switches on the card itself . BTW I left cdrom on master
    jumper.
    Did anybody succesfully used one of the new ide cdroms? And which types if
    yes??

  2. Re: SCSI-IDE adaper for CDROM on INDY

    yeh this is a bit of a black art for cdroms. Hard drives work fine but
    cd's have their off bits about them. I've had a lot of problems getting
    cd-writers and cdrom drives to work with sgi's using the ACARD ide to scsi
    botch boards. Maybe it's worth investing in a cdrom that is for sgi's.

    *********************
    Khalid Schofield
    System Administrator / EM Technician
    Dept. Of Materials
    University Of Oxford
    Parks Road
    Oxford
    OX1 3PH

    Tel: 01865 273785
    Fax: 01865 283333

    On Tue, 24 Feb 2004, IVI iro wrote:

    > I bought AEC-7720U adapter from acard and I am trying to boot my INDY from
    > an IDE cdrom ( hitachi 24x), but no luck). Any ideas about the jumper /
    > terminations switches on the card itself . BTW I left cdrom on master
    > jumper.
    > Did anybody succesfully used one of the new ide cdroms? And which types if
    > yes??

  3. Re: SCSI-IDE adaper for CDROM on INDY

    HI,
    IVI iro wrote:
    > I bought AEC-7720U adapter from acard and I am trying to boot my INDY from
    > an IDE cdrom ( hitachi 24x), but no luck). Any ideas about the jumper /
    > terminations switches on the card itself . BTW I left cdrom on master
    > jumper.
    > Did anybody succesfully used one of the new ide cdroms? And which types if
    > yes??

    I have not tried any of these converters but since thet work on HD they
    should work on a CDROM.

    But, it could be that the CDROM must be set to use 512 bytes sectors
    instead of 2048, this is the same as when you by a SCSI CDROM, usually
    they are set for 2048 but in order to use them on SGI/SUN you must set
    them to 512.

    FWIW, ATAPI CDROM is the same as SCSI cdrom except that the physical
    interface is IDE, so it is a "SCSI over IDE" drive.

    /michael

  4. Re: SCSI-IDE adaper for CDROM on INDY

    Khalid Schofield wrote in message news:...
    > yeh this is a bit of a black art for cdroms. Hard drives work fine but
    > cd's have their off bits about them. I've had a lot of problems getting
    > cd-writers and cdrom drives to work with sgi's using the ACARD ide to scsi
    > botch boards. Maybe it's worth investing in a cdrom that is for sgi's.

    (snip)

    This has everything to do with the firmware of the CDROM. Bootable
    SGI media uses a different block size than most standard CDROMs can
    address. I don't know how much the adapters are, but Plexwriters (the
    internal SCSI models) are reasonable in price. They will boot SGI
    media when their block size switch is toggled from the factory
    setting.

  5. Re: SCSI-IDE adaper for CDROM on INDY

    Thats just it the adapters are like 34. There so cheap. Although I have
    to admit that I'd think twice before installing one on a cdwriter. I paid
    55 for an SGI friendly cdwriter. Looks better than anything I could
    botch up and I know it's not going to cause scsi bus resets like the ACARD
    bridges do. You can't hand more than two ACARD IDE-SCSI bridges off any
    one bus. I know I've tried many many configurations and fiddled with the
    jumpers. I've had a number of disk corruptions while playing with these.
    They are worth is as they cost like 34 and I've got just under 1TB of
    storage on my home Octane but you do have to be careful. Also investing in
    a decent tape drive for backups helps too lol. I'm very glad I have a
    DLT4000 >

    *********************

    On Wed, 2 Mar 2004, Doug Dingus wrote:

    > Khalid Schofield wrote in message news:...
    > > yeh this is a bit of a black art for cdroms. Hard drives work fine but
    > > cd's have their off bits about them. I've had a lot of problems getting
    > > cd-writers and cdrom drives to work with sgi's using the ACARD ide to scsi
    > > botch boards. Maybe it's worth investing in a cdrom that is for sgi's.

    > (snip)
    >
    > This has everything to do with the firmware of the CDROM. Bootable
    > SGI media uses a different block size than most standard CDROMs can
    > address. I don't know how much the adapters are, but Plexwriters (the
    > internal SCSI models) are reasonable in price. They will boot SGI
    > media when their block size switch is toggled from the factory
    > setting.

  6. Re: SCSI-IDE adaper for CDROM on INDY

    I think they have a special converter for CD-ROMs. Don't know
    if it's possible to change sector size on them though, which is
    important for SGI.

    ACARD AEC-7722M LVD SCSI-to-ATAPI Bridge Adapter,
    Supports ATAPI CD-ROM/CDRW/DVD, Zip Drives, and Tape
    Drives (not for IDE Hard Drives) attached to SCSI bus, for Mac.

    /Bjorn

    "IVI iro" skrev i meddelandet
    > I bought AEC-7720U adapter from acard and I am trying to boot my INDY from
    > an IDE cdrom ( hitachi 24x), but no luck). Any ideas about the jumper /
    > terminations switches on the card itself . BTW I left cdrom on master
    > jumper.
    > Did anybody succesfully used one of the new ide cdroms? And which types if
    > yes??

+ Reply to Thread