Re: Origin200 + PCI Video Option - SGI

This is a discussion on Re: Origin200 + PCI Video Option - SGI ; mcneedo@hotmail.com (McNeedo) wrote in message news: ... > Anyone tried to slap one of the PCI video adapters from PSITech > http://www.psitech.com/rad4.htm into an Origin200? I have a 1P system > with 1GB of RAM, and am considering an attempt ...

  1. Re: Origin200 + PCI Video Option

    mcneedo@hotmail.com (McNeedo) wrote in message news:...
    > Anyone tried to slap one of the PCI video adapters from PSITech
    > http://www.psitech.com/rad4.htm into an Origin200? I have a 1P system
    > with 1GB of RAM, and am considering an attempt at turning it into a
    > 3DSMax station... PSITech claims the card is suitable for
    > Weather/CAD/CAE/GIS/AEC etc., but I have my doubts.
    >
    > Any other video-head alternatives that people have used successfully?
    >
    > TIA.

    What is the advantage to doing this? Wouldn't it be easier to throw it
    on a rack and use a *nix workstation to export X too?

    Many thanks,

    Shawn

  2. Re: Origin200 + PCI Video Option

    X11 over the network is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo slow.
    It's fine for using wsh and vi but when you want to do anything a little
    more fun then it's a waste of time.

    *********************
    Khalid Schofield
    System Administrator / EM Technician
    Dept. Of Materials
    University Of Oxford
    Parks Road
    Oxford
    OX1 3PH

    Tel: 01865 273785
    Fax: 01865 283333

    On Sat, 20 Feb 2004, Shawn Johnston wrote:

    > mcneedo@hotmail.com (McNeedo) wrote in message news:...
    > > Anyone tried to slap one of the PCI video adapters from PSITech
    > > http://www.psitech.com/rad4.htm into an Origin200? I have a 1P system
    > > with 1GB of RAM, and am considering an attempt at turning it into a
    > > 3DSMax station... PSITech claims the card is suitable for
    > > Weather/CAD/CAE/GIS/AEC etc., but I have my doubts.
    > >
    > > Any other video-head alternatives that people have used successfully?
    > >
    > > TIA.

    > What is the advantage to doing this? Wouldn't it be easier to throw it
    > on a rack and use a *nix workstation to export X too?
    >

    > Many thanks,
    >
    > Shawn

  3. Re: Origin200 + PCI Video Option

    Psitech board seems to be about 1/2 the speed of a SE board, but if you are not
    doing anything that is graphics intense, it is fine.

    If you want to do cad, or 3d forget it.

    Get a ggiachan expansion chassis and throw in a se card with tram.
    Works great for me.

    or bette ryet, do it to a deskside origin2000,
    then you can have a "8 proc Octane",
    but you will need to add an IO6G for the keyboard and mouse.

    I've even put mxe graphics in one by modifing the xio card cage.

    Actually not that much more noise then an octane.
    Stick it under a desk, you won't even know it is there.

    On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 09:27:59 +0000, Khalid Schofield
    wrote:

    >X11 over the network is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo slow.
    >It's fine for using wsh and vi but when you want to do anything a little
    >more fun then it's a waste of time.
    >
    >*********************
    >Khalid Schofield
    >System Administrator / EM Technician
    >Dept. Of Materials
    >University Of Oxford
    >Parks Road
    >Oxford
    >OX1 3PH
    >
    >Email: khalid.schofield@materials.ox.ac.uk
    >Tel: 01865 273785
    >Fax: 01865 283333
    >Web: http://www-em.materials.ox.ac.uk/peo...eld/index.html
    >

    >On Sat, 20 Feb 2004, Shawn Johnston wrote:
    >
    >> mcneedo@hotmail.com (McNeedo) wrote in message news:...
    >> > Anyone tried to slap one of the PCI video adapters from PSITech
    >> > http://www.psitech.com/rad4.htm into an Origin200? I have a 1P system
    >> > with 1GB of RAM, and am considering an attempt at turning it into a
    >> > 3DSMax station... PSITech claims the card is suitable for
    >> > Weather/CAD/CAE/GIS/AEC etc., but I have my doubts.
    >> >
    >> > Any other video-head alternatives that people have used successfully?
    >> >
    >> > TIA.

    >> What is the advantage to doing this? Wouldn't it be easier to throw it
    >> on a rack and use a *nix workstation to export X too?
    >>

    >> Many thanks,
    >>
    >> Shawn

  4. Re: Origin200 + PCI Video Option

    I have replied to a previous thread on a similear thought. and
    Basically,I've tried the PSITech card in the past and while its a good card,
    I found it too slow for my needs. If you need any animation this is not a
    good solution. I have had good success in using nvidia cards and Xfree86. If
    you would like to try this let me know.

    system

    > >> What is the advantage to doing this? Wouldn't it be easier to throw it
    > >> on a rack and use a *nix workstation to export X too?
    > >>

    > >> Many thanks,
    > >>
    > >> Shawn

+ Reply to Thread