Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7
Results 121 to 128 of 128

  1. Re: (OT) MIPS dead after all ?

    On 2004-03-02, S.Chang wrote:
    > From Sun's web site, they claim they are planing to support SPARC too.
    > http://wwws.sun.com/software/javades...m/faq.html#0q1

    :-P Well, that wouldn't be the first salesman that didn't know his own
    company's plans...

    --Arthur Corliss

  2. Re: (OT) MIPS dead after all ?

    I'd run irix on x86 servers and trust them. I do hope somethink like that
    happens but I just don't think irix will be ported to x86 :-(

    *********************
    Khalid Schofield
    System Administrator / EM Technician
    Dept. Of Materials
    University Of Oxford
    Parks Road
    Oxford
    OX1 3PH

    Tel: 01865 273785
    Fax: 01865 283333

    On Tue, 2 Mar 2004, S.Chang wrote:

    > Khalid Schofield wrote:
    >
    > > I have to agree with the comment about CDE. I think it's here to stay for
    > > some time yet. Today I installed Solaris on a sun. Wow what a great
    > > system. It's much nicer than most UNIX's to install. It compairs to irix
    > > for comfort and ease of use. I can see a sun on my desk soon.
    > >

    > Bare metal backup and recovery is easier for me too,
    > !!BUT!! I still think Irix has the best GUI, and is sill the easiest
    > Unix for begineers, I gave my R10K O2 to my sister who basically doesn't
    > know anything about Unix or computer, just in 2 weeks time she can
    > perform most of the task to maintain the box including bare metal backup
    > and recovery.
    >
    > > The CDE looks like a very nice desktop environment and it's far nicer on
    > > solaris than on hp-ux. My opinion of HP-UX is quite low but solaris is
    > > almost as nice as irix.
    > >

    > In my opinion, if out of 10, Irix's GUI will be at 8, Sun CDE will be at
    > 7, and Sun GNOME and HP-UX's CDE are at 6.
    >
    > > Great desktop (why the hell is open-windows still in solaris 8? Not seen 9
    > > yet can only hope they have trashed it though. Talk about hanging on by
    > > the finger nails. CDE is great.
    > >

    > You can install Enlightment on Solaris too, there also are plenty of GNU
    > softwares in the companion CD.
    >
    > > I feel quite sad to hear about mips being "dead" as with the departing of
    > > mips also sees the ending of irix. Once possibly the most respected and
    > > mighty of OS's in the film industry and scientific computing sector.
    > > SGI's systems are responsible for some great things and they will always
    > > be a piece of honoured history.
    > > http://sgistuff.g-lenerz.de/movies/jpark.html
    > >

    > SGI is one of the first Unix vendor in the world, and so is Irix for
    > being one of the earliest commercial Unix, it would be really sad to see
    > it go, to be honest comparing 2 options
    > 1. Letting Irix go down with MIPS
    > 2. Port Irix to X86 or IA64, and let MIPS go due to the high R&D cost
    > I would rather see #2.
    >
    > Again, maybe SGI will change their mind in the last minute....who knows..
    >

    > S.Chang

  3. Re: (OT) MIPS dead after all ?

    Hi,

    S.Chang schrieb:

    > !!BUT!! I still think Irix has the best GUI, and is sill the easiest
    > Unix for begineers, [...]

    Well, IMHO MacOS X is by far the easiest Unix for beginners. And I also
    like the GUI much better than 4DWM - but that's probably not on topic
    here ... .

    > I gave my R10K O2 to my sister who basically doesn't know anything about
    > Unix or computer, just in 2 weeks time she can perform most of the task to
    > maintain the box including bare metal backup and recovery.

    Hehe, my sister has an iMac and definitely doesn't know anything about
    Unix. I doubt that she'd be happy with an O2 though, at least it's a
    nice box (and of course "no beige" :-).

    Dominik.

  4. Re: (OT) MIPS dead after all ?

    On 2004-03-03 09:15:55 +1100, schlu-do@gmx.net (Dominik Schlütter) said:

    > Well, IMHO MacOS X is by far the easiest Unix for beginners. And I also
    > like the GUI much better than 4DWM - but that's probably not on topic
    > here ... .

    I tend to agree, but IRIX is probably the best traditional 'XWindows'
    implementation out there. Mac OS X's Aqua GUI and Quartz windowing
    system isn't exactly standard (even if it is based on PDF and OpenGL
    )

    >> I gave my R10K O2 to my sister who basically doesn't know anything about
    >> Unix or computer, just in 2 weeks time she can perform most of the task to
    >> maintain the box including bare metal backup and recovery.

    > Hehe, my sister has an iMac and definitely doesn't know anything about
    > Unix. I doubt that she'd be happy with an O2 though, at least it's a
    > nice box (and of course "no beige" :-).

    Set her up with OpenOffice and teach her a few of the basics and she'd
    be fine. IRIX ain't that hard out-of-the-box.

    best always,

    Dave @ ATMOS

    --
    Dafydd Williams
    Project Lead

    web: http://www.atmos.com.au
    email: pipeline@atmos.com.au

  5. Re: (OT) MIPS dead after all ?

    "Benjamin Gawert" wrote in message news:...
    (snip)
    > Yes, that's sad. I saw Evolution once and liked it, sadly there isn't a port
    > for HP-UX or AIX yet. Is there at least a binary for IRIX?

    Just installed it today from freeware! I know this is *crazy*, coming
    from me of all people, but why isn't there a win32 port?

  6. Re: (OT) MIPS dead after all ?

    "Benjamin Gawert" wrote:
    > A nice overview of the history of UNIX can be found here
    > http://www.levenez.com/unix/history.html

    Or if you fancy some text:

    http://www.futuretech.blinkenlights.nl/admin/day1a.html

    (scroll down to where it says 'History of UNIX')

    Ian.

  7. Re: (OT) MIPS dead after all ?

    Ian Mapleson wrote:
    > "Benjamin Gawert" wrote:
    >
    >>A nice overview of the history of UNIX can be found here
    >>http://www.levenez.com/unix/history.html

    > Or if you fancy some text:
    >
    > http://www.futuretech.blinkenlights.nl/admin/day1a.html
    >
    > (scroll down to where it says 'History of UNIX')
    >
    > Ian.

    In that text I can read ...

    "Linux does not have the sophistication of the more traditional UNIX
    variants such as SGI's IRIX, but Linux is free (older releases of IRIX
    such as IRIX 6.2 are also free"

    I may be interested in a free (as beer) copy of Irix 6.2, is it availeable?

    Pardillico

  8. Re: (OT) MIPS dead after all ?

    pardillico wrote:

    > Ian Mapleson wrote:
    > > "Benjamin Gawert" wrote:
    > >
    > >>A nice overview of the history of UNIX can be found here
    > >>http://www.levenez.com/unix/history.html

    > > Or if you fancy some text:
    > >
    > > http://www.futuretech.blinkenlights.nl/admin/day1a.html
    > >
    > > (scroll down to where it says 'History of UNIX')
    > >
    > > Ian.

    > In that text I can read ...
    >
    > "Linux does not have the sophistication of the more traditional UNIX
    > variants such as SGI's IRIX, but Linux is free (older releases of IRIX
    > such as IRIX 6.2 are also free"
    >
    > I may be interested in a free (as beer) copy of Irix 6.2, is it availeable?

    i think you might be interested in beer (as in drunk).

    > Pardillico

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7