MIPS dead after all ? - SGI

This is a discussion on MIPS dead after all ? - SGI ; > you are posting in an official capacity as a microsoft employee are you not? You .. Microsoft, missing a comma.. > if i am mistaken please clarify why your email address is an official > @microsoft.com email address which ...

  1. Re: MIPS dead after all ?

    > you are posting in an official capacity as a microsoft employee are you
    not?

    You .. Microsoft, missing a comma..

    > if i am mistaken please clarify why your email address is an official
    > @microsoft.com email address which should only be used by microsoft

    employees.

    If.. Microsoft.

    > perhaps they would like to know why you are posting to usenet on company

    time

    Perhaps.. to the Usenet on a company time..

    > may god bless you and keep you!

    "the", "you and keep you!" <- what is that trying to say? Try again.

  2. Re: MIPS dead after all ?

    On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 22:06:05 +0200
    "joe smith" wrote:

    > > you are posting in an official capacity as a microsoft employee are you

    > not?
    >
    > You .. Microsoft, missing a comma..
    >

    > > if i am mistaken please clarify why your email address is an official
    > > @microsoft.com email address which should only be used by microsoft

    > employees.
    >
    > If.. Microsoft.
    >

    > > perhaps they would like to know why you are posting to usenet on company

    > time
    >
    > Perhaps.. to the Usenet on a company time..
    >
    > > may god bless you and keep you!

    > "the", "you and keep you!" <- what is that trying to say? Try again.

    OK dude, you made your point: you're a childish little rat who gets upset when someone point out one of your flaws... Why don't you post something interesting/constructive (no, "sgi is dead" is not constructive, it's rather useless) and you'll see that all this things will go away... So far, you've only posted useless stuff, grow up and come back to us!

    I don't understand why people would enjoy watching a large high-tech company go down as it puts a lot of talented people out of a job and limits the competition and therefore the need for the remaining companies to innovate to capture the market... Unless of course you think that free is the way to live, but that works only for teenagers living off their parents...

    Now the @microsoft.com issue: the bottom line is if you post your BS with a Microsoft e-mail address and you're not with Microsoft, then this is impersonation; which is reprehensible... That is a felony by the way... Your parents might take away your allowance if they find out ;-)
    The @microsoft.com default is a bogus excuse, Outlook Express will not default to this. When you set your account up, it shows you an example of e-mail address (someone@microsoft.com), but you can't hit the "next" button until you type your e-mail address, so you have typed joe.smith@microsoft.com yourself... Is the default Joe Smith too? Very original...

    English is not my first language either, I'm sure people know that by reading my grammatically-challenged posts... I know I butcher the English language every time I write or talk,... But guess what: nobody has ever nailed me for that on forums...

    Skohl!

  3. Re: MIPS dead after all ?

    joe smith wrote:

    >>may god bless you and keep you!

    > "the", "you and keep you!" <- what is that trying to say? Try again.

    it's time for comp.sys.sgi.kindergarten - following this thread I see
    some new regulars for it already.

    Cheers
    Andreas

  4. Re: MIPS dead after all ?

    > OK dude, you made your point: you're a childish little rat who gets upset
    when someone point out one of your flaws...

    My point is that I will not give up and fold, if I am pushed, I push back..
    I don't start fights, but I don't stop them either. Cosmos has two choises:
    he can ignore me, or he can continue to chat with me. I am comfortable with
    both of the choises.

    > Why don't you post something interesting/constructive (no, "sgi is dead"

    is not constructive, it's rather useless)

    I have not posted that "sgi is dead", I posted that I have noticed a trend,
    that they are on the spiral downwards. Ofcourse it is not very helpful, but
    it is some fresh air of reality to counter-balance the cloud castles mr. Tom
    was building earlier. I understand his point of view, that he gets his job
    done on SGI hardware and based on the responses by others propably cannot
    even do his job without them. Such people are foundation to SGI's business.
    They should seek ways to make themselves more widely appealing to wider
    range of busineses, their traditional core business segments seem to be
    transfering to other companies and organizations and products.

    I'm sorry if me saying this is not constructive, but it is still my opinion.

    > So far, you've only posted useless stuff, grow up and come back to us!

    You realize, that telling someone that does not help him to go away, right?
    If you are as smart as I expect virtually every human to be, I must assume
    that you knew precisely the effect this was going to have. But I am not
    seeking ways to insult you, sir. But I won't lie, that it does not give me
    satisfaction to bring the debate down to the level with mr. Cosmos wants it
    to be in. But heed this: it takes two sides to have a fight. I alone cannot
    be to blame, yet, I am. But that is alright, we will talk like adults or we
    will talk like children, either way we will talk. Or will will be silent.
    Every one of us has the power to choose either way.

    > I don't understand why people would enjoy watching a large high-tech

    company go down as it puts a lot of talented people out of a job and limits
    the >competition and therefore the need for the remaining companies to
    innovate to capture the market... Unless of course you think that free is
    the way to

    I don't enjoy it, nor I get uncomfortable because of it. I am not a platform
    fanatic. I share my experience using skill called writing. If someone
    disagrees with my experience or my analysis of the experiment, please step
    forward and say so. I am never the first to criticize someone's grammar or
    language skills, but I can indulge someone's fetishes without hesitation.
    Even if it is not topical at the particular newsgroup I happen to be at the
    time.

    > Now the @microsoft.com issue: the bottom line is if you post your BS with

    a Microsoft e-mail address and you're not with Microsoft, then this is
    impersonation; which is reprehensible... That is a felony by the way... Your
    parents might take away your allowance if they find out ;-)
    > The @microsoft.com default is a bogus excuse, Outlook Express will not

    default to this. When you set your account up, it shows you an example of
    e-mail address (someone@microsoft.com), but you can't hit the "next" button
    until you type your e-mail address, so you have typed
    joe.smith@microsoft.com yourself... Is the default Joe Smith too? Very
    original...

    I wouldn't know until I tried, but I take your word for it.

    > every time I write or talk,... But guess what: nobody has ever nailed me

    for that on forums...

    Guess what, me neither, before mr. Cosmos came along. I'm merely being
    polite in return. If this causes distraction, it must be that such action is
    not very nice. This comes as shocking news to me. In this case I must ask
    mr. Cosmos, why he felt it was necessarily to do it not just once, but
    twice. 42 will not suffice for an answer. Or maybe it will. Time will tell.

  5. Re: MIPS dead after all ?

    > it's time for comp.sys.sgi.kindergarten - following this thread I see
    > some new regulars for it already.

    I'm quite sure Cosmos will not get sleep tonight thinking if the group is
    already active by tomorrow morning.

  6. Re: MIPS dead after all ?

    Andreas Backhaus wrote:

    > joe smith wrote:
    >
    > >>may god bless you and keep you!

    > > "the", "you and keep you!" <- what is that trying to say? Try again.

    > it's time for comp.sys.sgi.kindergarten - following this thread I see
    > some new regulars for it already.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Andreas

    we can add it right next to comp.sys.sgi.buttux

  7. Re: MIPS dead after all ?

    joe smith wrote:
    >> it's time for comp.sys.sgi.kindergarten - following this thread I see
    >> some new regulars for it already.

    > I'm quite sure Cosmos will not get sleep tonight thinking if the group is
    > already active by tomorrow morning.

    this is becoming comical. 50 TUXBUCKS to the first person who can
    translate what this microsoft dolt is trying to say...

    cheers.

    cosmos See no linux
    @ Hear no linux
    hepcat.org Speak no linux

  8. Re: MIPS dead after all ?

    cosmos wrote:

    > this is becoming comical. 50 TUXBUCKS to the first person who can
    > translate what this microsoft dolt is trying to say...

    50 tuxbucks. That doesn't sound very good. I mean, it sound like 50 pieces
    of metal, in which I have to carve the engravings myself. And when I'm done
    with that, I won't be allowed to buy anything with it, 'cause that'd be
    too commercial a use for a tuxbuck.

    --
    Khamba Staring
    Disclaimer: my employer and I never agree.

  9. Re: MIPS dead after all ?

    > this is becoming comical. 50 TUXBUCKS to the first person who can
    > translate what this microsoft dolt is trying to say...

    Bzzzt. Again wrong. I am not a Microsoft -or- Linux fanatic. You seem to be
    a fanatic, though.. IMHO, all fanatics are bad. All extremes are bad. You
    are anti-Linux-and-microsoft fanatic. Just a quick peek at your signature
    tells me, that you are OBSESSED anti-Linux, that's sick. Just as bad as
    being blind Linux fanatic who thinks anything else is inferior. All extremes
    suck, because they lead to a blind, short-sighted criticism of other
    alternatives.

  10. Re: MIPS dead after all ?

    joe smith wrote:
    > Bzzzt. Again wrong. I am not a Microsoft -or- Linux fanatic. You seem to be
    > a fanatic, though.. IMHO, all fanatics are bad. All extremes are bad. You
    > are anti-Linux-and-microsoft fanatic. Just a quick peek at your signature
    > tells me, that you are OBSESSED anti-Linux, that's sick. Just as bad as
    > being blind Linux fanatic who thinks anything else is inferior. All extremes
    > suck, because they lead to a blind, short-sighted criticism of other
    > alternatives.

    All trains suck, because some crash.

    You're taking the view on exremes to the extreme.

    --
    Khamba Staring
    Disclaimer: my employer and I never agree.

  11. Re: MIPS dead after all ?

    Khamba Staring wrote:

    > cosmos wrote:
    >
    > > this is becoming comical. 50 TUXBUCKS to the first person who can
    > > translate what this microsoft dolt is trying to say...

    > 50 tuxbucks.

    a tuxbuck is like a cow patty, except it's worth less.

    > That doesn't sound very good. I mean, it sound like 50 pieces
    > of metal, in which I have to carve the engravings myself. And when I'm done
    > with that, I won't be allowed to buy anything with it, 'cause that'd be
    > too commercial a use for a tuxbuck.
    >
    > --
    > Khamba Staring
    > Disclaimer: my employer and I never agree.

  12. Re: MIPS dead after all ?

    "joe smith" wrote in message news:...
    (snip)

    > Bzzzt. Again wrong. I am not a Microsoft -or- Linux fanatic. You seem to be
    > a fanatic, though.. IMHO, all fanatics are bad. All extremes are bad. You
    > are anti-Linux-and-microsoft fanatic. Just a quick peek at your signature
    > tells me, that you are OBSESSED anti-Linux, that's sick. Just as bad as
    > being blind Linux fanatic who thinks anything else is inferior. All extremes
    > suck, because they lead to a blind, short-sighted criticism of other
    > alternatives.

    Troll, plain 'n simple. --move on.

  13. Re: MIPS dead after all ?

    > Troll, plain 'n simple. --move on.

    If I were a troll, howcome I am not trolling? I'm merely replying to
    comments my posts raise. Look carefully, and point out where precisely where
    the childish behaviour and so-called 'trolling' began. Notice a specific
    poster named Cosmos anywhere near? Ditto.

    You can insult me, but I will insult back. As long as you are willing to
    continue pursuing this line of dialogue, I am ready. I even suggested, that
    everyone is free to choose as he sees fit: for instance, not to post. If I
    were a troll, wouldn't it be smarter not to 'feed' me? But trolling wasn't
    why I posted in this thread in the first place, but now it has gone to the
    level other posters want this to go. How low we all want to go? It's up to
    you guys.

  14. Re: MIPS dead after all ?

    hahaha, you are kidding, right? i love this stuff. gives me a good
    laugh. i love to see idiots fall... and by that i mean 'prophets' who
    predict gloom and doom. cracks me up.

    oh wait, it is a newsgroup, not a humorgroup? my bad.

    off to rec.humor.funny

    SkyWriter wrote:

    > ah, the pointless drivel that no one really ever listens to, this is what make
    > usenet great.
    > all we need is Peckman to chime in!

  15. Re: MIPS dead after all ?

    > hahaha, you are kidding, right? i love this stuff. gives me a good
    > laugh. i love to see idiots fall... and by that i mean 'prophets' who
    > predict gloom and doom. cracks me up.

    It wasn't a prediction but observation of the present. If you think I am
    'against' SGI, you are wrong. But it doesn't exclude the possibility of
    observing and writing about the observations and experiences.

    Prove that I have done any 'predicting' whatsoever, except write down my
    observations. Secondly, haven't YOU sir, witnessed the traditional SGI
    customers moving to alternative platforms? Do you dispute the facts or just
    don't like the color of the wrapping on the package (eg. the messenger).

    I happen to like SGI hardware. It's well designed, if 7-8 year old machine
    is still capable of handling current software smoothly I give my best
    regards to the engineering teams who made this happen. But no sympathies for
    ignorant fools who laugh when they should be concerned. Gloom and doom has
    not been prediceted, but looks like things are winding down all the same. If
    you can prove otherwise, please do so, and stop pretending you are having a
    ball.

    Pfffft. I and there I was, thinking that I wasn't the only one who could be
    objective and un-emotional when it comes to computers. It appears that I was
    wrong.

  16. Re: MIPS dead after all ?

    > You can also see from the benchmark test from www.zoorender.com
    > Neil Rudzinsk has provided the rendering time from a Tezro, it's
    > comparable to any PC based machine when using software rendering, it's
    > faster than PCs when using Mental Ray.

    I'll say for a Quad CPU Tezro with 8GB RAM, beating a Dual Xeon with 2GB RAM
    in Mental RAY rendering by ONE SECOND (1:02 vs 1:03), is not that
    impressive - even without considering the price factor...

    Yong

  17. Re: MIPS dead after all ?

    Yong Sun wrote:
    >>You can also see from the benchmark test from www.zoorender.com
    >>Neil Rudzinsk has provided the rendering time from a Tezro, it's
    >>comparable to any PC based machine when using software rendering, it's
    >>faster than PCs when using Mental Ray.

    > I'll say for a Quad CPU Tezro with 8GB RAM, beating a Dual Xeon with 2GB RAM
    > in Mental RAY rendering by ONE SECOND (1:02 vs 1:03), is not that
    > impressive - even without considering the price factor...
    >
    > Yong

    1.02 V.S. 1.03.58, that's nearly 2 seconds ~= 2.55%
    I know with Maya software rendering, it only use 2 CPUs, so it might be
    2 CPUs against 2 CPUs in Mental Ray too.
    How about rendering a scene which takes 40 hours to complete? can PC
    still keep up with Tezro?

    True, the result is not that impressive, and most render farm are based
    on PC now, but I only brought that up to show MIPS's CPU is just as good
    as any other CPU for intensive calculation, at the end of the day, a x86
    CPU with 4M cache will cost as much as the MIPS or maybe even more.

    S.Chang

  18. Re: MIPS dead after all ?

    joe smith wrote:
    > Prove that I have done any 'predicting' whatsoever, except write down my
    > observations.

    Predictions:

    + Bandwidth is where they still have the lead, and PCI Express is
    + coming to collect on that aswell soon.

    + There is still a number of
    + specialized applications where SGI systems are necessary evil - for now -
    + when PCI Express comes out to the market, the number of applications that
    + absolutely require SGI hardware will yet be reduced.

    + I'm quite sure Cosmos will not get sleep tonight thinking if the group is
    + already active by tomorrow morning.

    + You can insult me, but I will insult back.

    And two other interesting quotes:

    + I am pseudo-trolling
    + in that sense, seriousness is not really the motivation for me, but to
    + participate and hopefully entertain, even if it cracks some of you up or
    + give you pleasure to see how stupid posts I can sometimes make

    + If I were a troll, howcome I am not trolling?

    > I happen to like SGI hardware. It's well designed, if 7-8 year old machine
    > is still capable of handling current software smoothly I give my best
    > regards to the engineering teams who made this happen. But no sympathies for
    > ignorant fools who laugh when they should be concerned. Gloom and doom has
    > not been prediceted, but looks like things are winding down all the same. If
    > you can prove otherwise, please do so, and stop pretending you are having a
    > ball.

    This whole thread is quite funny actually. Especially how it all started.

    > Pfffft. I and there I was, thinking that I wasn't the only one who could be
    > objective and un-emotional when it comes to computers. It appears that I was
    > wrong.

    Now where did he say that?

    --
    Khamba Staring
    Disclaimer: my employer and I never agree.

  19. Re: MIPS dead after all ?

    > This whole thread is quite funny actually. Especially how it all started.

    For me it started here, Tom Kranz talking to nicte. Tom Kranz seems to be a
    very special fellow, when he can voice his opinions in the following tone
    without anyone even noticing. I noticed. I plonked him, since he was
    consistently being hostile. Here are some quotes from the post.

    Tom Kranz suggesting someone is mentally incapacitated:

    > Ah, I see your problem - beyond that of being mentally incapacitated.

    Tom Kranz on PC, notice 'imbecile' being politely implied:

    >Or are you one of the countless PC using imbeciles who bought an SGI
    >because it "was cool", and are now whining because the clock speed is
    >lower than a PC toy, or you can't run games, or 2D apps suck?

    Tom Kranz subtly making his point:

    >My God! Are you blind? Were you beaten as a child? Did you mother
    >repeatedly drop you on your head? Please, come out of your cave,
    >Troglodyte boy - wake up, it's 2004!

    Tom Kranz on other people's opinions, they are "whining nobodies", pretty
    much explains where he stands as far as respecting others opinion goes.

    >And, as has been pointed out countless times, you DO NOT have
    >visibility of this because you are a whining nobody who has bought
    >nothing from SGI.

    Tom Kranz doesn't realize that Onyx4 has ATI cores inside. These so-called
    PC toys he so much hates.

    > In what way does the Onyx4 have "no new graphics pipes"? Or Tezro?

    Tom Kranz doesn't realize this is Old News for the X86 / PC toys imbeciles

    >In what way is an efficient, dual core MIPS CPU not a "significant
    >change in architecture"?

    Tom Kranz propably thinks he is the only one who knows how CPUs work, and
    belittles other people in the same breath:

    > Do you even understand what these things are?

    Tom Kranz putting words to people's mouths and calling them whiny and
    ignorant on the same sentence.

    >Of course not - you are a whiny ignorant PC user who bought a 2nd hand
    >SGI, and you now think SGI owe you something - because, hey, you can
    >get Linux for free, so why can't SGI give all their good stuff away
    >for *nothing*?

    Tom Kranz insulting people when they do not agree with him:

    >You utter imbecile. My word, your parents must live in daily shame,
    >shattered with the knowledge that they brought someone so incapable of
    >independant thought into the world.

    Tom Kranz calling other person idiot, again:

    >If you buy SGI kit for the wrong reasons and use it for the wrong
    >applications, whose fault is that? SGIs? Or yours, as the idiot who
    >thought that something expensive and cool looking would fulfill any
    >need?

    >Which does not make the price high - it makes it a bargain. Not that I
    >expect someone as mentally inferior as yourself to understand
    >something so basic and fundamental.

    Remember when in doubt, other people are vacuous loud mouths when they don't
    agree with you. Ask Tom Kranz when in doubt. Also remember to put words into
    their mouths about SPEC marks and Quake FPS figures. Atleast Tom Kranz
    should do the favour and move ahead in time 10 years or so, and know that
    the benchmark people are more interested novadays with their PC toys are
    DOOM III and Half-life 2 scores. Just a little tip for the future.

    >Ah - I forget. Vacuous loud mouths like yourself who have never had to
    >use this stuff for a business, and who think SPEC marks and Quake FPS
    >figures are somehow a real measure of how a system will perform for
    >your application and workload.

    Tom Kranz being himself again, notice that whoever does not agree with him
    is MENTALLY LIMITED.

    > As a vocal yet mentally limited bystander, you are unaware of what SGI
    > are doing. You have bought nothing from them, and never will, because
    > you percieve SGI's products as being valueless.

    More interesting, atleast for me, would be to know who Tom Kranz's account
    manager is and who he bought his SGI from. Or is it just me?

    >And which system have you bought from SGI? Which support contract? Who
    >was the salesman you spoke to? Who is your account manager?

    >That is basic business sense - basic common sense even. Something you
    >appear to have a fatal lack of.

    Tom Kranz on business experience: you don't have it unless you are an SGI
    customer.

    > That is utter toss, spouted by people with no business experience at all.

    Tom Kanz on growing up and working for living: you haven't done it until you
    are an SGI customer.

    >Maybe one day when you grow up and have to work for a living you will
    >find this out for yourself.

    ---- snip

    Well, that indeed was the post of posts. It seems to me that the trouble
    started, when I killfiled this fine businessman. The fact of the matter is,
    that I simply got tired of his flaming. If someone is tired of me, do the
    same, the killfile is not very difficult to use. But this post seems to be
    the one that caused the discussion to drift off-topic to people who
    participate instead of the opinions they voice.

    If you are bothered, that I am off-topic, notice that I am not spontaneously
    posting anything, unless replied to. You cannot put all the blame on me,
    well, sorry, yes you can.. but all of it is not mine whether (sp?) you put
    it on me or not.

  20. Re: MIPS dead after all ?

    it's never been just about the speed of sgi's. PC's are tin boxes. When I
    put in a server I want it to run with out a problem for 10 years. Try that
    with a pc. SGI's are the roles royce of computers. They may not beat a tin
    can pc in terms of clock speed but they are nicer to use. I prefer G5 to a
    pc anyday even though there only 1Ghz

    Khalid Schofield
    System Administrator / EM Technician
    Dept. Of Materials