MIPS dead after all ? - SGI

This is a discussion on MIPS dead after all ? - SGI ; On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 23:08:39 -0600, cosmos wrote: > Gerhard Lenerz wrote: >> And actually OpenSource stuff is what can make older SGIs useful >> at home. Can't be that wrong if at least some people try to learn ...

  1. Re: MIPS dead after all ?

    On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 23:08:39 -0600, cosmos wrote:
    > Gerhard Lenerz wrote:
    >> And actually OpenSource stuff is what can make older SGIs useful
    >> at home. Can't be that wrong if at least some people try to learn
    >> how to use the platform, right?

    > the point of the argument here is most open source users tend to
    > have a big mouth complaining about why sgi sucks or crying foul over
    > monetary costs involved in certain arenas of sgi use vs peecees.

    I can agree to that statement but only because the majority of OSS
    users are not IRIX users.

    > perhaps if they spent more time contributing to the open source projects
    > they endlessly tout as the One True Way instead of bitching it would
    > actually be a more viable option.

    IMO one of the biggest problems is that there are too many packages
    which started with some good ideas but were never developed beyond
    a given point.

    > as for me, some open source projects do carry value and the ability to
    > integrate them into a working environment is key to any platform but the
    > majority still leave you standing in the bread line when it comes down to it.

    For my daily tasks I have found some good solutions in the open source
    environment, but I must admit that are few packages which still are
    under active development. There are too many things that started with
    a good idea but seem to be quite dead by now (just have a look at
    some of the "last modified" dates on the GNU or freshmeat pages).

    Gerhard

  2. Re: MIPS dead after all ?

    Hi,

    S.Chang wrote:

    > Same as Pixar, they used to use Sun as their renderfarm and moved to x86
    > blade servers from RakeSaver few year ago, and "I think" still use SGI
    > MIPS as graphical workstation, now considering who owns Pixar, shouldn't
    > people be saying Apple is the one who is fading?

    AFAIK they to switched their graphics workstations (last year they had
    about 475 Macs) to MacOS X - at least that is, what articles like
    are
    saying. The slides from that presentation are also available at
    .

    The latest reference for SGI at Pixar (well, at least what I found on
    the net that is) dates from January 2002
    .

    Dominik.

  3. Re: MIPS dead after all ?

    Niclas Steinel-Hansson wrote in message news:<4037F8AE.43409E85@odense.kollegienet.dk>...
    > > To believe that new hires with no experience can somehow affect the
    > > technology and infrastructure decisions of a business is blinkered,
    > > wishfull thinking of the worst sort.

    > I would be careful about predicting these things. Personally, I think it
    > is very important that people in the University environment are familiar
    > with SGI. Why do you think all computercompanies always have discounts
    > for Universities? For fun? To show that they are not evil?

    A particular peeve of mine - indulge me. Universities should have a
    mix of platforms, and students should be *required* to use all of
    them.

    Why?

    So that they can make objective decisions about the differences
    between platforms - which design works well for what sort of tasks?
    What are the differences when using or programming them?

    Above all - it teaches people to *understand* those differences, and
    to be flexible - both with their attitudes, and with their
    programming.

    Otherwise you end up with what we have now - a flood of narrow minded
    zealots who've only ever used one platform, and consequently think
    that is the only solution there is.

    I like SGI kit a lot. However, if I am consulting at a business where
    they need 5 9s from their database backend, and they have a large
    application written with Oracle as the datastore, I will recommend
    something like RAC on clustered Sun F15ks.

    Why?

    Because it's the best fit for the business. It's the better solution,
    for that particular problem.

    Zealots who witter on about the death of SGI, with no understand of
    the pros and cons of IRIX vs. Linux vs. Solaris vs. AIX, have no
    actual idea of what is happening in the real world.

    And I personally feel that narrow minded attitudes like that need to
    be challenged, not indulged.

    Cheers,
    TOM

  4. Re: MIPS dead after all ?

    sjohnston@satshot.com (Shawn Johnston) wrote in message news:<33d2be31.0402210731.6521bd82@posting.google.com>...
    > Probably should leave well enough alone, but ah well. This is one area
    > I have to disagree with. The GIS market as an example, is largely
    > dominated by ESRI today because they courted the academic crowd.

    Not at all - an interesting point.

    Can you elaborate more? GIS is one of the rare areas where there is
    quite a large crossover between business and academentia - I'd be
    interested in hearing how someone managed to leverage that.

    Cheers,
    TOM

  5. Re: MIPS dead after all ?

    Dans article <858768d8.0402221302.1d94b7dc@posting.google.com>,
    tom@siliconbunny.com disait...

    > Odd. I was unaware of a PC that can take a high quality video feed in,
    > manipulate it, and then output it in real time.

    Unfortunately, that exists. Search for Rave HD. However, if it doesn't
    match your expectations now, it's only a matter of time...

    --
    Quis, quid, ubi, quibus auxiliis, cur, quomodo, quando?

  6. Re: MIPS dead after all ?

    > Act like a fool, get treated like one.

    You definitely act like an asshole, so you get treated like one. *plonk*

  7. Re: MIPS dead after all ?

    > Zealots who witter on about the death of SGI, with no understand of
    > the pros and cons of IRIX vs. Linux vs. Solaris vs. AIX, have no
    > actual idea of what is happening in the real world.
    >
    > And I personally feel that narrow minded attitudes like that need to
    > be challenged, not indulged.

    It is the SGI, who needs to re-invent itself, not being 'understood' by
    broad-minded people. If you think they are doing as great as they did 5, 10
    years ago, you have your head stuck up your ass. No offense.

  8. Re: MIPS dead after all ?

    joe smith wrote:
    >> Act like a fool, get treated like one.

    > You definitely act like an asshole, so you get treated like one. *plonk*

    nothing spells irony like a tux warrior in a microsoft suit.

    cheers.

    cosmos See no linux
    @ Hear no linux
    hepcat.org Speak no linux

  9. Re: MIPS dead after all ?

    joe smith wrote:
    >> And I personally feel that narrow minded attitudes like that need to
    >> be challenged, not indulged.

    > It is the SGI, who needs to re-invent itself, not being 'understood' by
    > broad-minded people. If you think they are doing as great as they did 5, 10
    > years ago, you have your head stuck up your ass. No offense.

    Please enroll in an ESL course pronto. I am of course hoping that
    English is indeed your second language and you are not the average
    public school educated American moron(tm)...

    "It is SGI who need to reinvent themselves so that they might be understood
    by broad minded people."

    cheers.

    cosmos See no linux
    @ Hear no linux
    hepcat.org Speak no linux

  10. Re: MIPS dead after all ?

    joe smith wrote:

    > It is the SGI, who needs to re-invent itself, not being 'understood' by
    > broad-minded people.

    I know spelling flames are not "de rigueur" on usenet, but if *you* want
    to be understood, and more than that, if you want your opinion to be
    respected, there *is* some more work cut out for you as well in the
    spelling, grammar and logic department (or in figuring out that you'd
    better read posts before you hit the "send" button to make sure they make
    sense).

    I have truly tried to understand the points you are bringing up, but have
    only managed to get a splitting headache.

    --
    Alexis Cousein Senior Systems Engineer
    alexis@sgi.com SGI/Silicon Graphics Brussels

    Nobody Expects the Belgian Inquisition!

  11. Re: MIPS dead after all ?

    "joe smith" writes:
    > If you want a PC and hassle-free 3D graphics, you go to Windows. Linux is
    > years away from the ease-of-use of Windows, no offense. IRIX has been

    This statement is not true for NVIDIA based cards, the Linux drivers
    are almost feature complete in comparison to the Windows drivers and
    work both nice and fast in my experience.

    Thomas Jahns
    --
    "Computers are good at following instructions,
    but not at reading your mind."

  12. Re: MIPS dead after all ?

    > This statement is not true for NVIDIA based cards, the Linux drivers
    > are almost feature complete in comparison to the Windows drivers and
    > work both nice and fast in my experience.

    Some hardware works better than others. In Windows you generally just throw
    the hardware in, and it just works. In Linux, well, it depends on many
    factors... XFree version, kernel version, version of your 3D card, etc.etc.
    I cannot at this time get SFS and RADEON 9800 PRO work at the same time due
    to incompatibilities between the items mentioned earlier. I could buy a new
    graphics card. Or I could just live with the fact that for the time being I
    don't get SFS and DRI at the same time.

    The statement wasn't as far as I can remember that NVIDIA based cards don't
    generally work "okay" on Linux, but rather that Windows generally has far
    superior support for wider range of different PC hardware. This claim is yet
    to be disputed. I can help your 'side': 3COM 905 series network cards really
    work GREAT on Linux... disclaimer: atleast for _me_ .. ;-)

    I don't comment on the performance and feature set of the drivers as that
    would turn ugly really quickly.

    Doh!

  13. Re: MIPS dead after all ?

    > > You definitely act like an asshole, so you get treated like one. *plonk*
    >
    > nothing spells irony like a tux warrior in a microsoft suit.

    Amazing, two wrongs in a single line reply. Allow me to eloborate:

    1. I am not a tux warrior: I don't particularly LIKE Linux. I just state
    facts: it seems to be a trend that companies I know worked on SGI machines
    in the past are moving, or moved already to TUX. That doesn't mean I _care_
    if they move to the TUX or not, or that I particularly adore Linux. Linux
    works reasonably well if you have the right hardware. That's my stance on
    it.

    2. In a microsoft suit...? I happen to post at this time from a Windows box,
    so what? That doesn't make me particularly Microsoft fan, or Windows-only
    programmer. Infact I just happen to use CodeWarrior installed on Windows box
    to compile ARM9 software for Symbian OS. It could just aswell be Linux or
    other OS that is supported. If you know a IRIX version of CodeWarrior cross
    compiler for ARM9, give me link and I think about it.

    If there are any further misconceptions you would like to be straightened
    out, please don't hesitate to make yourself heard.

  14. Re: MIPS dead after all ?

    > > It is the SGI, who needs to re-invent itself, not being 'understood' by
    > > broad-minded people.

    > I know spelling flames are not "de rigueur" on usenet, but if *you* want
    > to be understood, and more than that, if you want your opinion to be
    > respected, there *is* some more work cut out for you as well in the
    > spelling, grammar and logic department (or in figuring out that you'd
    > better read posts before you hit the "send" button to make sure they make
    > sense).
    >
    > I have truly tried to understand the points you are bringing up, but have
    > only managed to get a splitting headache.

    SGI needs more new customers than understanding from their current customers
    (the so-called 'broad-minded people'). I'm not sure if you will get more or
    less headache from this, but hope this helps in decyphering the message.

  15. Re: MIPS dead after all ?

    joe smith wrote:

    > If there are any further misconceptions you would like to be straightened
    > out, please don't hesitate to make yourself heard.

    I think it would be far more beneficial if you enrolled in your local
    community college. Start off with English 101 so Alexis has fewer
    headaches...

    cosmos See no linux
    @ Hear no linux
    hepcat.org Speak no linux

  16. Re: MIPS dead after all ?

    > Please enroll in an ESL course pronto. I am of course hoping that
    > English is indeed your second language and you are not the average
    > public school educated American moron(tm)...

    It's not my first or second language. I don't rank it at all to numeric
    position like that. I speak fluent Swedish and Finnish. I know bits of
    English and Spanish. I get by most of the time. Why you call Americans
    morons? Most of whom I have talked, and been in correspondence with seem
    quite intelligent.

    Oh my, the last sentence gives you a chance for a witty follow-up.

    > cheers.

    Good luck on your counceling.

  17. Re: MIPS dead after all ?

    > I think it would be far more beneficial if you enrolled in your local
    > community college. Start off with English 101 so Alexis has fewer
    > headaches...

    So I take it that you have been properly corrected now? Alright, I'll bite,
    since this is the second time you criticize my English, please next time be
    more specific what grave errors I am making so that I have atleast a chance
    to improve. That's the least you could do, since you seem to show so much
    concern regarding the issue.

    Not that it is any of your business, but I wrote L in English 15 years ago.

    Thanks.

  18. Re: MIPS dead after all ?

    joe smith wrote:

    > 2. In a microsoft suit...? I happen to post at this time from a Windows box,
    > so what? That doesn't make me particularly Microsoft fan, or Windows-only
    > programmer.

    but Microsoft is your employer, and that makes you a Microsoft fan
    automagically:

    > From: "joe smith"

    if you dont work for microsoft then how did you get a Microsoft email
    address ???.

    r15k

  19. Re: MIPS dead after all ?

    > but Microsoft is your employer, and that makes you a Microsoft fan
    > automagically:

    No I'm not.

    > if you dont work for microsoft then how did you get a Microsoft email
    > address ???.

    I don't have a Microsoft email address. It's the Outlook Express default
    suggestion for e-mail address. This isn't no one's workstation in
    particular, my guess is that someone left the suggestion as e-mail address
    as a joke. I could be wrong.

  20. Re: MIPS dead after all ?

    joe smith wrote:

    > 2. In a microsoft suit...? I happen to post at this time from a Windows box,
    > so what? That doesn't make me particularly Microsoft fan, or Windows-only
    > programmer. Infact I just happen to use CodeWarrior installed on Windows box
    > to compile ARM9 software for Symbian OS. It could just aswell be Linux or
    > other OS that is supported. If you know a IRIX version of CodeWarrior cross
    > compiler for ARM9, give me link and I think about it.

    you are posting in an official capacity as a microsoft employee are you not?
    if i am mistaken please clarify why your email address is an official
    @microsoft.com email address which should only be used by microsoft employees.

    perhaps they would like to know why you are posting to usenet on company time
    instead of cleaning the restrooms with the other janitors...

    may god bless you and keep you!

    cosmos See no linux
    @ Hear no linux
    hepcat.org Speak no linux