Re: New CPU's - SGI

This is a discussion on Re: New CPU's - SGI ; r15k writes: >Heiko Schlichting wrote: > >> new machines. I expect the first new non-IRIX servers start their >> production in May 2004. Of course, we will not start the migration with >> news.individual.{net,de}/news.cis.dfn.de. > >news.cis.dfn.de runs on SGI hardware ...

  1. Re: New CPU's

    r15k writes:
    >Heiko Schlichting wrote:
    >
    >> new machines. I expect the first new non-IRIX servers start their
    >> production in May 2004. Of course, we will not start the migration with
    >> news.individual.{net,de}/news.cis.dfn.de.

    >news.cis.dfn.de runs on SGI hardware ??

    Yes. All our news services run on a SGI Origin 2000 with 4 R12000
    processors. The system can handle 3000+ simultaneous readers and 350 news
    peers without any problems. The URL with the specs and a picture of the
    system:

    http://news.individual.net/server.html
    (click on the picture to enlarge it)

    The news server "Curry" is the lower left Origin 2000. The user database is
    on one of the Origin 200 systems in the middle and the vaults are right of
    the (purple) Extreme Networks Black Diamond gigabit ethernet switch.

    Heiko

  2. Re: New CPU's

    Heiko Schlichting wrote:

    > The news server "Curry" is the lower left Origin 2000. The user database is
    > on one of the Origin 200 systems in the middle and the vaults are right of
    > the (purple) Extreme Networks Black Diamond gigabit ethernet switch.

    its a shame that the articles expire so soon. i guess with some extra
    disk space (2-3TB) you could extend the article storage by a few years
    right ?.

    r15k

  3. Re: New CPU's

    r15k writes:
    >Heiko Schlichting wrote:
    >
    >> The news server "Curry" is the lower left Origin 2000. The user database is
    >> on one of the Origin 200 systems in the middle and the vaults are right of
    >> the (purple) Extreme Networks Black Diamond gigabit ethernet switch.

    >its a shame that the articles expire so soon. i guess with some extra
    >disk space (2-3TB) you could extend the article storage by a few years
    >right ?.

    Soon? The expire time depends on the hierarchy and I wouldn't call 159 days
    a short expire.
    http://news.individual.de/hierarchies.html

    Increasing the expire time is not a problem yet (as we have enough disk
    space) but this is not our intention. We do not see Usenet news as an
    archive and if someone need such a thing, there is google. On the other
    hand, we have a lot of people start using news on our server and they
    become significant problems if their newsreading software tries to fetch
    all articles in a group with a long expire time. Not all software products
    limit this first download to a configurable amount of articles or a period.

    Heiko

  4. Re: New CPU's

    On 2/13/2004 9:18 AM, Heiko Schlichting wrote:
    > r15k writes:
    >
    >>Heiko Schlichting wrote:
    >>

    >>>new machines. I expect the first new non-IRIX servers start their
    >>>production in May 2004. Of course, we will not start the migration with
    >>>news.individual.{net,de}/news.cis.dfn.de.

    >>news.cis.dfn.de runs on SGI hardware ??

    > Yes. All our news services run on a SGI Origin 2000 with 4 R12000
    > processors. The system can handle 3000+ simultaneous readers and 350 news
    > peers without any problems. The URL with the specs and a picture of the
    > system:
    >
    > http://news.individual.net/server.html
    > (click on the picture to enlarge it)
    >
    > The news server "Curry" is the lower left Origin 2000. The user database is
    > on one of the Origin 200 systems in the middle and the vaults are right of
    > the (purple) Extreme Networks Black Diamond gigabit ethernet switch.
    >
    > Heiko

    All front-ended by what appears to be an Indy. It's a beautiful sight.
    Too bad you are migrating away from SGI.

    Are you retiring that hardware or will it be reallocated for other
    purposes? Perhaps as the hot-standby for when your Linux servers fail.

  5. Re: New CPU's

    Michael Rice writes:
    >All front-ended by what appears to be an Indy. It's a beautiful sight.
    >Too bad you are migrating away from SGI.

    The Indy on the picture has IrisConsole on it with two ST-1616. We use it
    to connect to the console and system ports of the Origins (and Challenges
    out the picture). So it is not really a front-end system.

    >Are you retiring that hardware or will it be reallocated for other
    >purposes? Perhaps as the hot-standby for when your Linux servers fail.

    Our Challenges of type L and type DM just retired this week. Our only
    Challenge M will retire soon. The Origins will be used for some less
    critical services and development after migration to the 60 new servers
    (operated by Debian Linux and FreeBSD). Of course the migration will take
    some time.

    As SGI nearly doubled the price for our hardware care service contract from
    2003 to 2004, the Origins will be under HW service only until end 2004. At
    this time I'll have to dedicate some systems as spare parts.

    Heiko

  6. Re: New CPU's

    Heiko Schlichting wrote in message news:...

    > As SGI nearly doubled the price for our hardware care service contract from
    > 2003 to 2004, the Origins will be under HW service only until end 2004. At
    > this time I'll have to dedicate some systems as spare parts.

    Oddly enough, that's exactly what Hubble did, too.
    Close, anyway. They don't plan to keep their old
    SGI boxes for spares; they're going to add to the
    tidal wave of cheap discarded SGI gear hitting eBay.

    SGI is not particularly good at business, are they ?

+ Reply to Thread