Need Help! ONYX no display after "resetenv" - SGI

This is a discussion on Need Help! ONYX no display after "resetenv" - SGI ; After a "resetenv" I got no display at all. The computer is an ONYX with Reality Engine 2 and Serius Video installed. Can someone tell me what to do to fix this problem? Do I need to use a special ...

  1. Need Help! ONYX no display after "resetenv"

    After a "resetenv" I got no display at all.
    The computer is an ONYX with Reality Engine 2 and Serius Video installed.
    Can someone tell me what to do to fix this problem?
    Do I need to use a special cable to connect it to a laptop PC?
    If yes, does it need to be a special cable?
    Please help!

    Thank you in advance!

  2. Re: Need Help! ONYX no display after "resetenv"

    EXACTLY that happened to me, alike as I got my Onyx2 Deskside :
    Check your "console" variable in Prom.
    After a "resetenv" is that variable set to "console=d" => "d" means the Serial port.
    Boot Messages are now shown through tty1.
    So connect a Serial Terminal via the first Serial Port (9600,8,n,1), wait for Boot Messages till the Prom Menu appears.
    Then got to the Command Line and set "setenv console = g" and do a reboot => the Graphics should now be enabled.
    This experience must probably make every Onyx owners.
    Bye,
    Markus

    On 12 Feb 2004 07:21:01 -0800
    technical@omegatv.net (Antonios Mystiloglou) wrote:

    > After a "resetenv" I got no display at all.
    > The computer is an ONYX with Reality Engine 2 and Serius Video installed.
    > Can someone tell me what to do to fix this problem?
    > Do I need to use a special cable to connect it to a laptop PC?
    > If yes, does it need to be a special cable?
    > Please help!
    >
    > Thank you in advance!

  3. Re: Need Help! ONYX no display after "resetenv"

    Markus Bartakovic wrote:

    > So connect a Serial Terminal via the first Serial Port (9600,8,n,1), wait for Boot Messages till the Prom Menu appears.
    > Then got to the Command Line and set "setenv console = g" and do a reboot => the Graphics should now be enabled.

    minor correction: it's actually 'setenv console g' withouth '='
    setting it to 'G' instead of 'g' should show you that fancy logo during
    boot

    Cheers
    Andreas

  4. Re: Need Help! ONYX no display after "resetenv"

    I did this very thing just last week. Unfortunately all I found out was
    that my machine hangs at when reading the RE2 prom. Oh well ....

    I used a cable wired 2 --> 3, 3 --> 2 and SGI pin 7 --> pc pin 5,
    Hyperterminal on a Intel box running XP (What a pile of garbage) set as
    recommended by previous respondents at 9600,8,N,1 and no flow control.
    Got right in and got the bad news.

    FWIW, the same cable works on my Crimson.

    Hope you have better results than I did.

    EBS

    On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 16:49:03 +0100
    Markus Bartakovic wrote:

    > EXACTLY that happened to me, alike as I got my Onyx2 Deskside :
    > Check your "console" variable in Prom.
    > After a "resetenv" is that variable set to "console=d" => "d" means
    > the Serial port. Boot Messages are now shown through tty1.
    > So connect a Serial Terminal via the first Serial Port (9600,8,n,1),
    > wait for Boot Messages till the Prom Menu appears. Then got to the
    > Command Line and set "setenv console = g" and do a reboot => the
    > Graphics should now be enabled. This experience must probably make
    > every Onyx owners. Bye,
    > Markus
    >

    > On 12 Feb 2004 07:21:01 -0800
    > technical@omegatv.net (Antonios Mystiloglou) wrote:
    >
    > > After a "resetenv" I got no display at all.
    > > The computer is an ONYX with Reality Engine 2 and Serius Video
    > > installed. Can someone tell me what to do to fix this problem?
    > > Do I need to use a special cable to connect it to a laptop PC?
    > > If yes, does it need to be a special cable?
    > > Please help!
    > >
    > > Thank you in advance!

  5. Re: Need Help! ONYX no display after "resetenv"

    Thank you all for your help!!!
    Problem fixed!!!
    Got some problems with the cable wirring, but fixed that too.

    The right cable for PC to ONYX (not ONYX2... only ONYX) is as follows
    (in case someone else has the same problem as I did.. It's too hard to
    find cable diagram).

    for the PC end you'll need a female DB9 connector.
    for the ONYX end you'll need a male DB9 connector.
    Also you'll need a 9 wire cable...

    PC ONYX

    pin 1 --> 1
    pin 2 --> 2
    pin 3 --> 3
    pin 4 --> 4
    pin 5 --> 7
    pin 6 --> 6
    pin 7 --> 5
    pin 8 --> 8
    pin 9 --> 9

    pins 2-3 is already inverted inside ONYX so there is no need to cross
    it in your cable. All you need to cross is pin 7 with pin 5 (both are
    Ground pins).

    Connect the cable and remove the keyboard from ONYX.
    Power up the PC.
    After that just make the right configuration inside the
    "Hyperterminal" or what ever programm you preffer to use (I used
    "hyperterminal which is included with all windows). The right
    configuration is:

    Speed ------- 9600
    Databits ---- 8
    Parity ------ N
    Stop Bits --- 1
    Flowcontrol - None

    Also I did a VT-100 terminal emulation within the "Hyperterminal".

    Click the "Connect" button and then power up the ONYX.

    After that in the menu select "5"
    Type "setenv console g"
    type "exit"

    Rebooot and your done! (don't forget to connect the keyboard back on
    so the ONYX won't boot in console mode again).

    I repeat... This is what worked for me.

    I'm posting it here, so in case that someone else has the same problem
    or a similar problem and needs to "make" the cable and comunicate with
    the ONYX can find all the info he need in ONE place!

    I want to thank you all again for your time and helpfull support.
    Without you I would be crying for a dead onyx right now... :-)))

    Regards

    Antonios Mystiloglou

    Everett B. Simonds wrote in message news:<20040213203510.48e91906.ebsimonds@comcast.net>...
    > I did this very thing just last week. Unfortunately all I found out was
    > that my machine hangs at when reading the RE2 prom. Oh well ....
    >
    > I used a cable wired 2 --> 3, 3 --> 2 and SGI pin 7 --> pc pin 5,
    > Hyperterminal on a Intel box running XP (What a pile of garbage) set as
    > recommended by previous respondents at 9600,8,N,1 and no flow control.
    > Got right in and got the bad news.
    >
    > FWIW, the same cable works on my Crimson.
    >
    > Hope you have better results than I did.
    >
    > EBS
    >

    > On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 16:49:03 +0100
    > Markus Bartakovic wrote:
    >
    > > EXACTLY that happened to me, alike as I got my Onyx2 Deskside :
    > > Check your "console" variable in Prom.
    > > After a "resetenv" is that variable set to "console=d" => "d" means
    > > the Serial port. Boot Messages are now shown through tty1.
    > > So connect a Serial Terminal via the first Serial Port (9600,8,n,1),
    > > wait for Boot Messages till the Prom Menu appears. Then got to the
    > > Command Line and set "setenv console = g" and do a reboot => the
    > > Graphics should now be enabled. This experience must probably make
    > > every Onyx owners. Bye,
    > > Markus
    > >

    > > On 12 Feb 2004 07:21:01 -0800
    > > technical@omegatv.net (Antonios Mystiloglou) wrote:
    > >
    > > > After a "resetenv" I got no display at all.
    > > > The computer is an ONYX with Reality Engine 2 and Serius Video
    > > > installed. Can someone tell me what to do to fix this problem?
    > > > Do I need to use a special cable to connect it to a laptop PC?
    > > > If yes, does it need to be a special cable?
    > > > Please help!
    > > >
    > > > Thank you in advance!

+ Reply to Thread