O2 R5k 200mhz to RM5200 300mhz cpu upgrade, is it worth it ? - SGI

This is a discussion on O2 R5k 200mhz to RM5200 300mhz cpu upgrade, is it worth it ? - SGI ; O2 R5k 200mhz to RM5200 300mhz cpu upgrade, is it worth it ? anyone did it who wanna tell about it what your experience is what would be an acceptable price for a RM5200 300mhz cpu board for an o2 ...

  1. O2 R5k 200mhz to RM5200 300mhz cpu upgrade, is it worth it ?

    O2 R5k 200mhz to RM5200 300mhz cpu upgrade, is it worth it ?

    anyone did it who wanna tell about it what your experience is

    what would be an acceptable price for a RM5200 300mhz cpu board for an o2 if
    one where tosearch for one ?

    MIS

  2. Re: O2 R5k 200mhz to RM5200 300mhz cpu upgrade, is it worth it?

    MIS wrote:
    > O2 R5k 200mhz to RM5200 300mhz cpu upgrade, is it worth it ?
    >

    > anyone did it who wanna tell about it what your experience is
    >

    > what would be an acceptable price for a RM5200 300mhz cpu board for an o2 if
    > one where tosearch for one ?
    >

    > MIS

    My experience with RM5200 comes from a 250Mhz Cobalt RAQ 2, and while it
    is a nice little system it's not particularly quick. To me it wouldn't
    be worth an upgrade and in my opinion is probably not worth the expense
    and effort. It all depends on the price however, and of course in an O2
    the situation may be entirely different.

    Alex.

  3. Re: O2 R5k 200mhz to RM5200 300mhz cpu upgrade, is it worth it ?

    O2's are just not that fast. If you want a fast system go get an Octane.
    O2's are great for being small and more managble (less heat output, noise
    and spare requirments than Octane). If I were you I'd get an Octane and an
    O2 if you want speed. When I got my Octane I stopped using my O2 except
    for video work but then I got an EVO board for my Octane and now I use the
    Octane to do video work as well. Hence I'm selling my O2.

    *********************
    Khalid Schofield
    System Administrator / EM Technician
    Dept. Of Materials
    University Of Oxford
    Parks Road
    Oxford
    OX1 3PH

    Tel: 01865 273785
    Fax: 01865 283333

    On Wed, 18 Feb 2004, Alex Balmer wrote:

    > MIS wrote:
    > > O2 R5k 200mhz to RM5200 300mhz cpu upgrade, is it worth it ?
    > >

    > > anyone did it who wanna tell about it what your experience is
    > >

    > > what would be an acceptable price for a RM5200 300mhz cpu board for an o2 if
    > > one where tosearch for one ?
    > >

    > > MIS
    > >

    > My experience with RM5200 comes from a 250Mhz Cobalt RAQ 2, and while it
    > is a nice little system it's not particularly quick. To me it wouldn't
    > be worth an upgrade and in my opinion is probably not worth the expense
    > and effort. It all depends on the price however, and of course in an O2
    > the situation may be entirely different.
    >
    > Alex.

  4. Re: O2 R5k 200mhz to RM5200 300mhz cpu upgrade, is it worth it ?

    "Khalid Schofield" wrote in message
    news:Pine.LNX.4.58.0402191559150.17076@raven.linux .ox.ac.uk...
    > Do you have a black SGI keyboard? I'd swap one.

    if i had i would too but i only have about the cheepest pc ps2 keyboard on
    my o2

    MIS

  5. Re: O2 R5k 200mhz to RM5200 300mhz cpu upgrade, is it worth it?

    Alex Balmer wrote:
    > MIS wrote:
    >
    >> O2 R5k 200mhz to RM5200 300mhz cpu upgrade, is it worth it ?
    >>

    >> anyone did it who wanna tell about it what your experience is
    >>

    >> what would be an acceptable price for a RM5200 300mhz cpu board for an
    >> o2 if
    >> one where tosearch for one ?

    [...]

    > My experience with RM5200 comes from a 250Mhz Cobalt RAQ 2, and while it
    > is a nice little system it's not particularly quick. To me it wouldn't
    > be worth an upgrade and in my opinion is probably not worth the expense
    > and effort. It all depends on the price however, and of course in an O2
    > the situation may be entirely different.

    You can't compare the RM5231 in the Cobalts with the RM5261 CPUs as used
    in the O2s. The former have no 2nd level cache and a 32bit external bus,
    using 32bit wide 60ns EDO Ram, the latter has (in its RM* CPU versions)
    1MB second level cache and 64 bit external bus and uses 256bit wide
    SDRAM. This should make a huge difference - even my R5k 200 O2 is much
    faster for e.g. compiling than my Cobalt nasRaq, but that's still
    slow.

    The RM5200 upgrade is probably worthwile if You consider upgrading the
    CPU thereon to something faster, like a >=600MHz RM7900 or a Sandcraft
    XL7120, as described here:
    http://forums.nekochan.net/viewtopic...=asc&start=105

    Otherwise, at 300MHz, the RM5k2 should still not be as fast as a R10k
    195, and those may be available cheaper even with the mainboard than
    than RM5k2 cpus alone. The following has been poster around here before:

    > Proc SPECint95 SPECfp95
    > 12000 400 19.3 13.6
    > 12000 300 14.5 10.4
    > 12000 270 13.1 9.8
    > 10000 250 12.4 9.7
    > 10000 195 10.1 8.8
    > 7000 300 ? 7.5
    > 5200 300 8.0 6.9
    > 10000 175 9.1 6.6
    > 10000 150 7.4 6.2
    > 5000 200 5.3 5.7
    > 5000SC 180 4.8 5.4
    > 5000PC 180 3.7 4.6

    So if your O2 takes R1x000 mainboards, that may be the way to go.

    rainer

  6. Re: O2 R5k 200mhz to RM5200 300mhz cpu upgrade, is it worth it ?

    > Otherwise, at 300MHz, the RM5k2 should still not be as fast as a R10k
    > 195, and those may be available cheaper even with the mainboard than
    > than RM5k2 cpus alone. The following has been poster around here before:
    >
    > > Proc SPECint95 SPECfp95
    > > 12000 400 19.3 13.6
    > > 12000 300 14.5 10.4
    > > 12000 270 13.1 9.8
    > > 10000 250 12.4 9.7
    > > 10000 195 10.1 8.8
    > > 7000 300 ? 7.5
    > > 5200 300 8.0 6.9
    > > 10000 175 9.1 6.6
    > > 10000 150 7.4 6.2
    > > 5000 200 5.3 5.7
    > > 5000SC 180 4.8 5.4
    > > 5000PC 180 3.7 4.6

    > So if your O2 takes R1x000 mainboards, that may be the way to go.

    THanks for that info..

    i just heard several forums that R10k is not so happy for playing with video
    as R5k

    MIS

  7. Re: O2 R5k 200mhz to RM5200 300mhz cpu upgrade, is it worth it?

    MIS wrote:
    > i just heard several forums that R10k is not so happy for playing with video
    > as R5k

    if you'd googled for that, you would have found this bit of info from
    Alexis Cousein (al@brussels.sgi.com):
    > That issue (which was certainly present on O2 R10K-175) was fixed on
    > the O2 R10K-195 and higher motherboards, IIRC. Nowadays, though it

    has > higher latency to memory, it has even slightly higher bandwidth to
    > memory.

    rainer

+ Reply to Thread