Biggest Onyx 2 rack configuration? - SGI

This is a discussion on Biggest Onyx 2 rack configuration? - SGI ; [Please do not mail me a copy of your followup] It seems that these Onyx 2 rack systems are pretty available. If I wanted to max out the system configuration, what's the theoretical max? As I understand it, they subdivide ...

  1. Biggest Onyx 2 rack configuration?

    It seems that these Onyx 2 rack systems are pretty available. If I
    wanted to max out the system configuration, what's the theoretical
    max?

    As I understand it, they subdivide a rack into "bricks" and then
    components (disk drives, graphics cards, etc.) plug into the brick.
    I believe the bricks are identified by a single letter code. Does
    anyone know of a reference for this sort of SGI stuff? I know SGI has
    manuals online, but it helps to know the specific manual to use as a
    starting point.

    The racks have an integrated power supply, so maybe they identify the
    amount of equipment per rack based on power consumption?

    Legalize Adulthood!

  2. Re: Biggest Onyx 2 rack configuration?

    Richard schrieb:

    > It seems that these Onyx 2 rack systems are pretty available. If I
    > wanted to max out the system configuration, what's the theoretical
    > max?

    The term "brick" isnt used when speaking about Onyx2. So do you mean a
    Onyx 300/350/3xxx?

    > As I understand it, they subdivide a rack into "bricks" and then
    > components (disk drives, graphics cards, etc.) plug into the brick.
    > I believe the bricks are identified by a single letter code. Does
    > anyone know of a reference for this sort of SGI stuff? I know SGI has
    > manuals online, but it helps to know the specific manual to use as a
    > starting point.

    For a Origin 3xxx the right document is "Twister Configuration Guide"
    108-0357-001. But i cant see any kind of information about the GFX modules.

    Also nice to read are the FastFacts! or the pricelist for spare sparts.
    The URL and Password can be found somewhere in this NG.

    > The racks have an integrated power supply, so maybe they identify the
    > amount of equipment per rack based on power consumption?

    No, there is InfiniteReality4(G Brick) or InfinitePerformance (V Brick)
    based GFX module and IIRC the first one isnt connected to the powerbay.

    One powerbay supports up to 8 bricks.

    --
    TakeNet GmbH, Geschaeftsfuehrer Wolfgang Meier
    97080 Wuerzburg Tel: +49 931 903-2243

  3. Re: Biggest Onyx 2 rack configuration?

    Joerg Behrens spake the secret code
    <5jks6rF38fiU1@mid.individual.net> thusly:

    >Richard schrieb:
    >> It seems that these Onyx 2 rack systems are pretty available. If I
    >> wanted to max out the system configuration, what's the theoretical
    >> max?

    >The term "brick" isnt used when speaking about Onyx2. So do you mean a
    >Onyx 300/350/3xxx?

    No, I'm just ignorant of the proper terminology. I have a 4 rack Onyx
    2 Reality Monster system that I purchased at an auction. I am curious
    as to what the maximum configuration is on an Onyx 2.

    I'm also looking for similar information (max configuration) on these
    systems:

    - a deskside Onyx
    - deskside Crimson
    - Challenge XL
    - Onyx rack (do they call it an XL as well, seems to be the same cabinet)
    - Indigo2
    - Indigo
    - Octane
    - O2

    I haven't gotten an Origin system in my collection yet.

    Thanks for any help you can provide!

    Legalize Adulthood!

  4. Re: Biggest Onyx 2 rack configuration?

    On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 17:43:19 +0000 (UTC), Richard wrote:
    > - a deskside Onyx

    4x R10000/195, 2 GB RAM, Infinite Reality, HIO / VME expansion

    > - deskside Crimson

    1x R4400/150, 256 MB RAM, Reality Engine, VME expansion

    > - Challenge XL
    > - Onyx rack (do they call it an XL as well, seems to be the same cabinet)

    I'll leave that open for the big iron guys. The S/M/L/XL labels are
    specific to the line of (Power) Challenge systems. I have never seen
    an Onyx rack being referred to as Onyx XL.

    > - Indigo2

    1x R10000/195, 1 GB RAM (unofficially possible), Maximum Impact,
    EISA / GIO64 expansion

    > - Indigo

    1x R4400/150, 384 MB RAM, Elan, GIO32 expansion

    > - Octane

    2x R14000/600, 8 GB RAM, V12, XIO expansion (PCI optional)

    > - O2

    1x RM7000/350, 1 GB RAM, internal, PCI expansion

    > I haven't gotten an Origin system in my collection yet.

    I don't know if you really need one if you have a large scale
    Onyx2 in your collection. The technology is the same.

    Gerhard
    --
    SGI Hardware Info and Museum -- http://sgistuff.g-lenerz.de/
    "Wanted Items" -- http://sgistuff.g-lenerz.de/collection/wanted.php

    ( iris / IRIX / IP32 )

  5. Re: Biggest Onyx 2 rack configuration?

    mail@g-lenerz.de spake the secret code
    thusly:

    >> I haven't gotten an Origin system in my collection yet.

    >I don't know if you really need one if you have a large scale
    >Onyx2 in your collection. The technology is the same.

    Yeah, but the racks look more sci-fi :-)

    Thanks for all that great info!

    Legalize Adulthood!

  6. Re: Biggest Onyx 2 rack configuration?

    In article ,
    Gerhard Lenerz wrote:
    >On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 17:43:19 +0000 (UTC), Richard wrote:
    >> - Challenge XL
    >> - Onyx rack (do they call it an XL as well, seems to be the same cabinet)

    >I'll leave that open for the big iron guys. The S/M/L/XL labels are
    >specific to the line of (Power) Challenge systems. I have never seen
    >an Onyx rack being referred to as Onyx XL.

    I believe that if you have the chassis for it, Everest can handle nine
    CPU boards. That would mean a max in 36 R10000s, probably 195MHz. Not
    sure how many slots that leaves for memory, but a quick perusal of Simon
    Pigot's pages may tell you all you need.

    --
    David Evans dfevans@bbcr.uwaterloo.ca
    Research Associate http://bbcr.uwaterloo.ca/~dfevans/

  7. Re: Biggest Onyx 2 rack configuration?

    Richard schrieb:

    > mail@g-lenerz.de spake the secret code
    > thusly:
    >
    >>> I haven't gotten an Origin system in my collection yet.

    >> I don't know if you really need one if you have a large scale
    >> Onyx2 in your collection. The technology is the same.

    > Yeah, but the racks look more sci-fi :-)
    >
    > Thanks for all that great info!

    There is no big difference between the looking of a Origin 2xxx or Onyx2
    Rack.

    The computing nodes from a Onxy2 are the same as in a Origin 2xxx. But
    youre right when saying the the Origin/Onxy2 Racks looks very good. For
    me my 2 Rack Origin looks much better than the Origin 3000 and the
    colored LCD display with the bouncing CPU graphs rocks!

    regards
    Joerg

    --
    TakeNet GmbH, Geschaeftsfuehrer Wolfgang Meier
    97080 Wuerzburg Tel: +49 931 903-2243
    Alfred-Nobel-Straße 20 Fax: +49 931 903-3025
    HRB Wuerzburg 6940 http://www.takenet.de

  8. Re: Biggest Onyx 2 rack configuration?

    Gerhard Lenerz wrote:
    > > - O2

    > 1x RM7000/350, 1 GB RAM, internal, PCI expansion

    Is this better than an R12000/400? Also wasn't there someone modifying
    boards to run with a 600Mhz MIPS CPU?

    Zane

  9. Re: Biggest Onyx 2 rack configuration?

    On Sep 1, 1:39 am, heal...@aracnet.com wrote:
    > Gerhard Lenerz wrote:
    > > > - O2

    > > 1x RM7000/350, 1 GB RAM, internal, PCI expansion

    > Is this better than an R12000/400? ...

    Definitely not. R12K/400 O2 is typically about 25% faster than
    R7000/350 O2.
    I've been running some new benchmarks, it's pretty consistent. Minimum
    speedup 15%, maximum speedup 37%, typical speedup between 25 and 30%.

    > ... Also wasn't there someone modifying
    > boards to run with a 600Mhz MIPS CPU?

    Details on the mod are well known; see my page:

    http://www.futuretech.blinkenlights.nl/o2cpumod.html

    I don't think there's anyone specifically offering such an upgrade
    service
    atm though.

    You could do this mod to an R7K/350 board, but the cost involved is
    such that, if you need that kind of speed, you're better off with an
    Octane/Fuel IMO (cheaper than the cost of buying an R7K/350 + the
    mod). For the kind of tasks O2 is good at, a mega CPU is not stricly
    essential, but it does help for general responsiveness & feel. I
    normally recommend an R10K/250 or better. The main tradeoff with an
    R10K/R12K is that such O2s only have one internal drive bay, though
    I'm getting round this by building a custom case.

    Unless you really want just one system, a better idea is to have a
    decent O2 plus a different system for tasks not related to O2's
    video/imaging abilities, ie. general apps, etc. Plus, having a
    separate system means you can use the other system for offline
    processing (eg. video conversion/rendering) and then carry on
    working with the O2, editing video, whatever. I have an R14K/550
    Octane2 as my main system, an R12K/400 O2 for video, and an
    IMPACT Video + IMPACT Compression Indigo2 for dealing with VHS
    tapes that have degraded (a TBC would be better, but is costly).

    Ian.

+ Reply to Thread