Is there any way to get an SGI IRIX compiled program to run on Windows XP ? - SGI

This is a discussion on Is there any way to get an SGI IRIX compiled program to run on Windows XP ? - SGI ; Hi everyone, I would like to ask if anyone could please help me with the following problem. I want to use a free program that seems to be compiled for an SGI IRIX OS. The source files are available here... ...

  1. Is there any way to get an SGI IRIX compiled program to run on Windows XP ?

    Hi everyone,

    I would like to ask if anyone could please help me with the following
    problem.

    I want to use a free program that seems to be compiled for an SGI IRIX
    OS. The source files are available here...

    http://www.cim.mcgill.ca/ftp/rmsl/usycams/

    Is there a free OS that I can install on Microsoft Virtual PC so that
    I can use this program on a XP host machine? Alternatively, is there
    any type of software emulator I can install that would allow me to use
    this program on a windows XP machine ? Is it difficult or even
    possible to compile the source to run on windows XP or a UNIX based OS
    that I can install on Microsoft virtual PC ?

    I also have the Solaris 10 OS that I could install on Virtual PC if
    that would work.

    I would appreciate any suggestions or advice.

    Thanks
    John

  2. Re: Is there any way to get an SGI IRIX compiled program to run on Windows XP ?

    In article <1181415062.963121.314690@q75g2000hsh.googlegroups. com>,
    John2005 wrote:
    >I want to use a free program that seems to be compiled for an SGI IRIX
    >OS. The source files are available here...

    >http://www.cim.mcgill.ca/ftp/rmsl/usycams/

    >Is there a free OS that I can install on Microsoft Virtual PC so that
    >I can use this program on a XP host machine? Alternatively, is there
    >any type of software emulator I can install that would allow me to use
    >this program on a windows XP machine ?

    No and No!

    >Is it difficult or even
    >possible to compile the source to run on windows XP or a UNIX based OS
    >that I can install on Microsoft virtual PC ?

    According to the paper
    http://www.cim.mcgill.ca/~rmsl/Index...im960214.ps.gz

    "We give an outline of USyCaMs for a Silicon Graphics Inc. IRIS
    workstation. It can run on other UNIX workstations with suitable
    graphics software and hardware, but then, obviously, all device-
    dependent features must be modied."

    To me, that implies that they did not lock themselves in to IRIX-only
    graphics features; e. g., that it might be written for X11/Motif
    or OpenGL, but that adaptation might have to be made for some
    device drivers. Otherwise, if the authors had meant that,
    "Well, we suppose someone could rewrite this for another system
    if they really wanted to bother", then they would have been much
    more likely to say "It could run" rather than "It can run".
    But I haven't looked at the source to see the structure or dependancies.

+ Reply to Thread