Running octane(s) headless - SGI

This is a discussion on Running octane(s) headless - SGI ; I have a heterogeneous local LAN established w/ TCP protocols, all machines are accessible through 192.168.xxx.nnn ip #, there is an Indigo2 and Octane(s) on the LAN, both OS 6.5.19 I'd like to run the Octane headless! I gathered several ...

  1. Running octane(s) headless

    I have a heterogeneous local LAN established w/ TCP protocols, all
    machines are accessible through 192.168.xxx.nnn ip #, there is an
    Indigo2 and Octane(s) on the LAN, both OS 6.5.19
    I'd like to run the Octane headless! I gathered several recommendations
    from various POST's but would like to get some comments on the options
    given, especially with regards to manageability, rebooting of the
    headless machine etc.
    _____________________________

    [Opt-1] put this in /etc/inittab
    S1:23456:respawn:/sbin/getty ttyS1 DT9600 vt100

    ** I already have a S1 entry in my /etc/inittab file, that looks like this
    s1:1:wait:/sbin/suattr -C CAP_SHUTDOWN+ip -c "exec /etc/shutdown -y -iS
    -g0 console" > /dev/console 2>&1
    should I change the POST instructions to something like
    S6:23456:respawn:/sbin/getty ttyS6 DT9600 vt100 , where S6 is "unique".

    Or should I comment out the S1 entry ?
    _____________________________

    [Opt-2] at the console monitor 'setenv console d'

    _____________________________

    [Opt-3] nogfxkbd 1 in your prom and reboot

    _____________________________

    [Opt-4] You can connect with a serial cable to your Octane

    This does not seem viable as I'll probably have to make this cable
    myself as the serial connections on the two machines are so vastly
    different.

    Thanks for any comments and suggestions

  2. Re: Running octane(s) headless

    I used to run 30+ old I2 4400's for render jobs using option 3.
    I'd fire them up, let 'em run, and then shut them down.
    Worked fine for me.
    casey

    "Adam Smith" wrote in message
    news:g8ydnemecey7xYTbnZ2dnUVZ_qzinZ2d@speakeasy.ne t...
    > I have a heterogeneous local LAN established w/ TCP protocols, all
    > machines are accessible through 192.168.xxx.nnn ip #, there is an
    > Indigo2 and Octane(s) on the LAN, both OS 6.5.19
    > I'd like to run the Octane headless! I gathered several recommendations
    > from various POST's but would like to get some comments on the options
    > given, especially with regards to manageability, rebooting of the
    > headless machine etc.
    > _____________________________
    >
    > [Opt-1] put this in /etc/inittab
    > S1:23456:respawn:/sbin/getty ttyS1 DT9600 vt100
    >
    > ** I already have a S1 entry in my /etc/inittab file, that looks like this
    > s1:1:wait:/sbin/suattr -C CAP_SHUTDOWN+ip -c "exec /etc/shutdown -y -iS
    > -g0 console" > /dev/console 2>&1 >
    > should I change the POST instructions to something like
    > S6:23456:respawn:/sbin/getty ttyS6 DT9600 vt100 , where S6 is "unique".
    >
    > Or should I comment out the S1 entry ?
    > _____________________________
    >

    > [Opt-2] at the console monitor 'setenv console d'
    >
    > _____________________________
    >
    > [Opt-3] nogfxkbd 1 in your prom and reboot
    >
    > _____________________________
    >
    > [Opt-4] You can connect with a serial cable to your Octane
    >
    > This does not seem viable as I'll probably have to make this cable
    > myself as the serial connections on the two machines are so vastly
    > different.
    >
    > Thanks for any comments and suggestions

  3. Re: Running octane(s) headless

    Adam Smith schrieb am 08.04.2007 23:04:
    > I have a heterogeneous local LAN established w/ TCP protocols, all
    > machines are accessible through 192.168.xxx.nnn ip #, there is an
    > Indigo2 and Octane(s) on the LAN, both OS 6.5.19
    > I'd like to run the Octane headless! I gathered several recommendations
    > from various POST's but would like to get some comments on the options
    > given, especially with regards to manageability, rebooting of the
    > headless machine etc.

    > [Opt-4] You can connect with a serial cable to your Octane
    >
    > This does not seem viable as I'll probably have to make this cable
    > myself as the serial connections on the two machines are so vastly
    > different.

    different: yes. But it's the same cable as used with older Macs, so no
    need to solder your own

    > Thanks for any comments and suggestions

  4. Re: Running octane(s) headless

    AS> [Opt-1] put this in /etc/inittab
    AS> S1:23456:respawn:/sbin/getty ttyS1 DT9600 vt100

    AS> ** I already have a S1 entry in my /etc/inittab file, that looks like this
    AS> s1:1:wait:/sbin/suattr -C CAP_SHUTDOWN+ip -c "exec /etc/shutdown -y
    AS> -iS -g0 console" > /dev/console 2>&1
    AS> should I change the POST instructions to something like
    AS> S6:23456:respawn:/sbin/getty ttyS6 DT9600 vt100 , where S6 is "unique".

    AS> Or should I comment out the S1 entry ?
    No, you should leave S1 entry alone and find t1 entry, the one marked
    as alt5 console:

    t1:23:respawn:/sbin/suattr -C CAP_FOWNER,CAP_DEVICE_MGT,CAP_DAC_WRITE+ip -c "exec /sbin/getty ttyd1 console" # alt console

    AS> [Opt-4] You can connect with a serial cable to your Octane

    AS> This does not seem viable as I'll probably have to make this cable
    AS> myself as the serial connections on the two machines are so vastly
    AS> different.

    Octane is using standard DB-9 connector, you should be able to find a
    cable in any computer hardware store. Depending on what's on the other
    wide, you'll need to have a null-modem and DB-9 to DB-25 adapter. I
    usually use standard ethernet cable and RJ-45-to-DB-9 adapters:
    straight on one side, null modem on ther other.

    max

+ Reply to Thread