Backing up to disk on remote machine - SGI

This is a discussion on Backing up to disk on remote machine - SGI ; Hello, Mixed heterogeneous LAN, SGI, FreeBSD & PC's. I'd like to backup data, using bru, from an SGI machine INDIGO2 O/S 6.5 to a FreeBSD platform 6.0. But can't access it, can someone advise? Thanks bru -cvm -f remote_mach:/disk3/bkup/mach-1/ -b ...

  1. Backing up to disk on remote machine

    Hello,
    Mixed heterogeneous LAN, SGI, FreeBSD & PC's. I'd like to backup data,
    using bru, from an SGI machine INDIGO2 O/S 6.5 to a FreeBSD platform
    6.0. But can't access it, can someone advise?

    Thanks

    bru -cvm -f remote_mach:/disk3/bkup/mach-1/ -b 10k
    bru: "remote_mach:/disk3/bkup/mach-1/": can't open archive: No such file
    or directory
    bru: load volume 1 and enter device [default:
    remote_mach:/disk3/bkup/mach-1/] >> root@remote_mach:/disk3/bkup/mach-1/
    bru: "root@remote_mach:/disk3/bkup/mach-1/": can't open archive: No such
    file or directory
    bru: load volume 1 and enter device [default:
    root@remote_mach:/disk3/bkup/mach-1/] >>
    bru: "root@remote_mach:/disk3/bkup/mach-1/": can't open archive: No such
    file or directory
    bru: load volume 1 and enter device [default:
    root@remote_mach:/disk3/bkup/mach-1/] >>

  2. Re: Backing up to disk on remote machine

    In article ,
    Adam Smith wrote:
    >Mixed heterogeneous LAN, SGI, FreeBSD & PC's. I'd like to backup data,
    >using bru, from an SGI machine INDIGO2 O/S 6.5 to a FreeBSD platform
    >6.0. But can't access it, can someone advise?

    >bru -cvm -f remote_mach:/disk3/bkup/mach-1/ -b 10k

    That's a directory, not even a file; of course bru isn't going to
    be able to create it.

    As best I recall, when you specify something remote, it has to
    be a remote device (not file or directory), and the remote system
    must be running 'rmt' or the equivilent.

    If you want to save to a remote file, then do something like,

    bru -cvfm -f - -b 10k | rsh remote_mach dd of=/disk3/bkup/mach-1/FILENAME

  3. Re: Backing up to disk on remote machine

    Thanks Walter, your reply and clarification was most helpful, will
    implement soon. Thanks again!

    Walter Roberson wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Adam Smith wrote:
    >> Mixed heterogeneous LAN, SGI, FreeBSD & PC's. I'd like to backup data,
    >> using bru, from an SGI machine INDIGO2 O/S 6.5 to a FreeBSD platform
    >> 6.0. But can't access it, can someone advise?

    >> bru -cvm -f remote_mach:/disk3/bkup/mach-1/ -b 10k

    > That's a directory, not even a file; of course bru isn't going to
    > be able to create it.
    >
    > As best I recall, when you specify something remote, it has to
    > be a remote device (not file or directory), and the remote system
    > must be running 'rmt' or the equivilent.
    >
    > If you want to save to a remote file, then do something like,
    >
    > bru -cvfm -f - -b 10k | rsh remote_mach dd of=/disk3/bkup/mach-1/FILENAME

  4. Re: Backing up to disk on remote machine

    does it have to be bru?
    otherwise you could mount the destination server (fbsd) and use xfsdump.

    Adam Smith wrote: Thanks Walter, your reply and clarification was most helpful, will

    Walter Roberson wrote:
    > In article <NbKdnfKI3K_Zf-3YnZ2dnUVZ_uydnZ2d@speakeasy.net>,
    > Adam Smith  <adamsmith@econ.com> wrote:
    >> Mixed heterogeneous LAN, SGI, FreeBSD & PC's. I'd like to backup data,
    >> using bru, from an SGI machine INDIGO2 O/S 6.5 to a FreeBSD platform
    >> 6.0. But can't access it, can someone advise?

    >> bru -cvm -f remote_mach:/disk3/bkup/mach-1/ -b 10k

    > That's a directory, not even a file; of course bru isn't going to
    > be able to create it.
    >
    > As best I recall, when you specify something remote, it has to
    > be a remote device (not file or directory), and the remote system
    > must be running 'rmt' or the equivilent.
    >
    > If you want to save to a remote file, then do something like,
    >
    > bru -cvfm -f - -b 10k | rsh remote_mach dd of=/disk3/bkup/mach-1/FILENAME

    --  ah-consulting.net Götz Fischer Senior Consultant Phone: +49(0)7225/98 98 79 Fax:   +49(0)7225/28 64 eMail: g.fischer@ah-consulting.net http://www.ah-consulting.net http://www.ah-webhosting.com

  5. Re: Backing up to disk on remote machine

    goetz fischer wrote:

    > does it have to be bru?
    > otherwise you could mount the destination server (fbsd) and use xfsdump.

    No does not have to be bru, just happened to be more familiar with it on
    the local machine. Will give that a try also and compare - Thanks for
    the suggestion

+ Reply to Thread