  1. TUXED UP

    http://www.sgi.com/support/mips_irix.html

    Another Linux success story!

  2. Re: TUXED UP

    cosmos wrote in
    news:ltedna7mSfGwi2PZnZ2dnUVZ_sOdnZ2d@speakeasy.ne t:

    > http://www.sgi.com/support/mips_irix.html
    >
    > Another Linux success story!

    Hey, your alive Someone said Cosmos faded away into the sunset...

    -ks

  3. Re: TUXED UP

    cosmos wrote:
    > http://www.sgi.com/support/mips_irix.html
    >
    > Another Linux success story!

    Wassup Cos' ? Good to hear from you!
    Yeah, it's tuxed-up for sure!

    Will that prevent my applications from running on MIPS/IRIX today? I'm
    scawed :-D

  4. Re: TUXED UP

    -ks wrote:
    > cosmos wrote in
    > news:ltedna7mSfGwi2PZnZ2dnUVZ_sOdnZ2d@speakeasy.ne t:
    >
    >> http://www.sgi.com/support/mips_irix.html
    >>
    >> Another Linux success story!
    >>

    > Hey, your alive Someone said Cosmos faded away into the sunset...

    For some reason, I read your comment as "Someone said Cosmos faded away
    into the Usenet".

    I think I need to spend less time reading newsgroups....

  5. Re: TUXED UP

    cosmos wrote:

    > http://www.sgi.com/support/mips_irix.html
    >
    > Another Linux success story!

    Perhaps I'm missing something here, but how is the EOP of IRIX/MIPS another
    Linux success story? I don't get it. Is this an attempt at sarcastic
    humour?

    I'm not belittling Linux, by the way. I personally use Linux almost
    exclusively. I just don't see how SGI's killing of IRIX is a Linux success
    story. After all, IRIX did _not_ lose to Linux... Expensive proprietary
    MIPS based hardware lost to cheap commodity PCs. If expensive proprietary
    hardware were still viable, IRIX would still be a viable developed OS.

    Just my 0.001 cents.

    "I don't do girls; it's in my contract!"
    --W.D.Duke,
    Comment on signing $1 billion corruption and crime settlement

  6. Re: TUXED UP

    On 2006-09-19, AlbaClause wrote:
    > cosmos wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.sgi.com/support/mips_irix.html
    >>
    >> Another Linux success story!

    > Perhaps I'm missing something here, but how is the EOP of IRIX/MIPS another
    > Linux success story? I don't get it. Is this an attempt at sarcastic
    > humour?
    >
    > I'm not belittling Linux, by the way. I personally use Linux almost
    > exclusively. I just don't see how SGI's killing of IRIX is a Linux success
    > story. After all, IRIX did _not_ lose to Linux... Expensive proprietary
    > MIPS based hardware lost to cheap commodity PCs. If expensive proprietary
    > hardware were still viable, IRIX would still be a viable developed OS.

    Well, maybe soon I'll be able to pick up a copy of expensive,
    proprietary Irix-6.5 for a decent price to update my Indy (currently
    using Irix-6.2 still, which limits its usefulness).

    Gotta be a silver lining there someplace.

    --

    John (john@os2.dhs.org)

  7. Re: TUXED UP

    On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 20:42:48 -0400,
    AlbaClause , in
    wrote:

    >+ Is this an attempt at sarcastic humour?

    With cosmos, it's plain, old-fashioned, bitterness.

    isn't looking good, either.

  8. Re: TUXED UP

    John Thompson wrote:

    > Well, maybe soon I'll be able to pick up a copy of expensive,
    > proprietary Irix-6.5 for a decent price to update my Indy (currently
    > using Irix-6.2 still, which limits its usefulness).
    >
    > Gotta be a silver lining there someplace.

    Well, if price is no object, you can pick up an expensive copy of
    proprietary Irix-6.5 right now. ;-)

    What I meant, was that Irix users that had migrated to Linux probably would
    have been just as happy to have stayed with Irix, had Irix remained an
    option in their hardware migration plans.

    I believe, and this is only personal opinion, that if SGI had begun porting
    Irix to x86 way back when, they would have been in a better position to
    compete in the current market. I think that those persons and
    organizations that moved from MIPS/Irix to x86/Linux would have kept Irix
    as their operating system of choice had it been available. SGI could have
    then followed suit in the transition from MIPS to x86 and been a very
    competitive company.

    Instead, SGI, in its infinite wisdom, decided that it would be best to exit
    both the MIPS and Irix markets entirely and transition to Linux and Intel
    processors. With that very shortsighted decision, many former customers of
    SGI found themselves with no compelling reason to stick with SGI.

    Organizations are generally very reluctant to migrate their entire IT base
    from one platform, operating system, and application base at one time.
    The learning curve inherent in training employees to use the entirely new
    system is to great, and the real costs associated with lost production is
    very significant. I would have guessed that the migrating customers were
    looking to switch to cheaper hardware while maintaining the system (Irix)
    and tools (applications) that they were already using.

    Unfortunately, it was not possible for these lost customers to migrate to
    cheaper Intel hardware while retaining their present system and tools.
    That option was just not available. So SGI lost out big time.

    "I don't do girls; it's in my contract!"
    --W.D.Duke,
    Comment on signing $1 billion corruption and crime settlement

+ Reply to Thread