SGI Octane2 hang - SGI

This is a discussion on SGI Octane2 hang - SGI ; I have an Octane 2 with a 600 MHz MIPS R14000 processor (1.0 GB RAM) running Irix 6.5.22m. Last week it started to repetitively hang, it hanged nearly once per day, especially at night. Yesterday, it remained OK over more ...

  1. SGI Octane2 hang

    I have an Octane 2 with a 600 MHz MIPS R14000 processor (1.0 GB RAM)
    running Irix 6.5.22m. Last week it started to repetitively hang, it
    hanged nearly once per day, especially at night. Yesterday, it remained
    OK over more than 48 hours, then it hanged again. Once it hangs the
    only way to restart it is to remove its power supply. The SYSLOG
    contains no odd message at the time of the freeze. Upon running the
    hardware diagnostics, all hardware parts (cpu, memory, etc...) pass the
    tests. Do you have any idea about this? please help me it is really
    very urgent.

  2. Re: SGI Octane2 hang

    Mutasem wrote:
    >I have an Octane 2 with a 600 MHz MIPS R14000 processor (1.0 GB RAM)
    >running Irix 6.5.22m. Last week it started to repetitively hang, it
    >hanged nearly once per day, especially at night. Yesterday, it remained
    >OK over more than 48 hours, then it hanged again. Once it hangs the
    >only way to restart it is to remove its power supply. The SYSLOG
    >contains no odd message at the time of the freeze. Upon running the
    >hardware diagnostics, all hardware parts (cpu, memory, etc...) pass the
    >tests. Do you have any idea about this? please help me it is really
    >very urgent.

    Probably dust and something gets too hot. AFAIR there are some hints how
    to clean the case in the manual; a vacuum cleaner should help. My dual
    600MHz has a lot more memory and remains stable although I have more
    than 30 C here (it is really hot in Vienna).

    Toni

  3. Re: SGI Octane2 hang

    Toni Grass wrote:

    > Probably dust and something gets too hot. AFAIR there are some hints how
    > to clean the case in the manual; a vacuum cleaner should help. My dual
    > 600MHz has a lot more memory and remains stable although I have more
    > than 30 C here (it is really hot in Vienna).
    >
    > Toni

    Regarding possible heeting up, we have the octane2 in an air
    conditioned room (22-28 degrees C). Regarding possible dust cause, we
    recently cleaned the case with compressed air, however, only without
    openning it. We also have the machine comnnected to a UPS, which
    excludes possible electrical instability.

  4. Re: SGI Octane2 hang

    Mutasem wrote:

    >Regarding possible heeting up, we have the octane2 in an air
    >conditioned room (22-28 degrees C). Regarding possible dust cause, we
    >recently cleaned the case with compressed air, however, only without
    >openning it. We also have the machine comnnected to a UPS, which
    >excludes possible electrical instability.

    ooops...
    Are you really sure the machine hangs? Or is it just the graphics which
    hangs, in this case a remote login (or 'ping') should be possible.

    Toni

  5. Re: SGI Octane2 hang

    > ooops...
    > Are you really sure the machine hangs? Or is it just the graphics which
    > hangs, in this case a remote login (or 'ping') should be possible.
    >
    > Toni

    The machine itself hangs, yesterday I tried to measure the time it
    takes from one hang to another and I found it takes around 56 hours, it
    looks to be very precise in its run-hang cycles. If you try to ping or
    telnet or ftp during the hang it simply fails.

+ Reply to Thread