IRIX 6.5.22 overlays downloaded - SGI

This is a discussion on IRIX 6.5.22 overlays downloaded - SGI ; Hi, I have downloaded the 3 IRIX 6.5.22 "CDs" from SGI (big thank you to SGI) and I want to upgrade my Indigo2 with them. I downloaded the ..tar.gz files to my pc (not the Indigo2). So I want to ...

  1. IRIX 6.5.22 overlays downloaded

    Hi, I have downloaded the 3 IRIX 6.5.22 "CDs" from SGI (big thank you to
    SGI) and I want to upgrade my Indigo2 with them. I downloaded the
    ..tar.gz files to my pc (not the Indigo2). So I want to get them across
    to the Indogo2.

    I have tried to connect into the Indigo2 with FTP but have problems
    there, whatever I do I can't log on. I should probably be able to fix
    that but I have read so many man pages and tried so many things I was
    wondering if an other way is better (leave the FTP problem for later,
    after the upgrade).

    I can create CD's but there aren't any instructions on what is the best
    way to do that and the downloaded files weren't ISO's... I think roxio
    only knows how to make pc formatted CD's and it seems the normal overlay
    CD's are in unix format (I have some older versions). IRIX read pc CD's
    so it shouldn't be a problem.

    Should I just put the .tar.gz on a CD straight? I then guess that I will
    have to unpack it to the Indigo2's harddisk for the install. Is this so?

    Or should I unpack it, extract the filestructure and put that on a CD?
    Will I then be able to install it directly from the CD?

    I also have a linux box (harddisk installed knoppix, debian) would there
    be anything it could help with in this?

    The CD drive for the Indigo2 is an older 4x drive so it doesn't read
    CD-RW so I can't just test this without wasting CD's (I will do that
    only if I have to).

    --
    Knut
    (delete 'nogarbage.' for email)

  2. Re: IRIX 6.5.22 overlays downloaded

    Knut Roll-Lund schrieb:
    > Hi, I have downloaded the 3 IRIX 6.5.22 "CDs" from SGI (big thank you to
    > SGI) and I want to upgrade my Indigo2 with them. I downloaded the
    > .tar.gz files to my pc (not the Indigo2). So I want to get them across
    > to the Indogo2.

    Keep in mind that you have to install patch 5086 first. You can download
    it from supportfolio, but its also bundeld with the .22 tgz.

    > I have tried to connect into the Indigo2 with FTP but have problems
    > there, whatever I do I can't log on.

    There is a file which contains user account which are not allowed for
    use with ftp (root).

    Check also your inetd.conf to see if the ftp is enabled.

    > I should probably be able to fix
    > that but I have read so many man pages and tried so many things I was
    > wondering if an other way is better (leave the FTP problem for later,
    > after the upgrade).

    You can setup a real FTP Server, Samba or just load the files with NFS,
    scp, rcp, wget from another server to your machine.

    > I can create CD's but there aren't any instructions on what is the best
    > way to do that and the downloaded files weren't ISO's... I think roxio
    > only knows how to make pc formatted CD's and it seems the normal overlay
    > CD's are in unix format (I have some older versions). IRIX read pc CD's
    > so it shouldn't be a problem.

    ISO 9660 would be fine. Maybe support for longer filenames is needed 11+3?

    > Should I just put the .tar.gz on a CD straight? I then guess that I will
    > have to unpack it to the Indigo2's harddisk for the install. Is this so?

    Yes.

    > Or should I unpack it, extract the filestructure and put that on a CD?
    > Will I then be able to install it directly from the CD?

    Also possible.

    > I also have a linux box (harddisk installed knoppix, debian) would there
    > be anything it could help with in this?

    You can setup a tftp Server.

    regards
    Joerg

  3. Re: IRIX 6.5.22 overlays downloaded

    Knut Roll-Lund wrote:
    > I also have a linux box (harddisk installed knoppix, debian) would
    > there be anything it could help with in this?

    I wrote some time ago this howto (unfortunately in french):

    Hope this may help you.

  4. Re: IRIX 6.5.22 overlays downloaded

    > I have tried to connect into the Indigo2 with FTP but have problems
    > there, whatever I do I can't log on. I should probably be able to fix

    I don't bother even with ftp anymore, I set up the host as a web server
    (just about every OS can do this very easily now), stick the files in
    the public_html folder on that machine, then surf to the host from the
    client (in this case your SGI) and download the files in the normal
    way. I never had much luck with samba or sharity, I found it awkward
    and confusing to set up and use so lost patience with it.

    Ultimately, ftp is probably the better solution as you can create a
    proper ftp account and send/grab files much quicker than messing around
    with a web server setup.

+ Reply to Thread