Linux on an Indy - SGI

This is a discussion on Linux on an Indy - SGI ; Just wondering if anybody is running Linux on their Indy? Or that blasphemy? -- -- --- RAT*PAC --- People Against Corruption * Right Always Triumphs http://sarnia.selfip.org...

  1. Linux on an Indy

    Just wondering if anybody is running Linux on their Indy? Or that
    blasphemy?

    --- RAT*PAC ---
    People Against Corruption * Right Always Triumphs
    http://sarnia.selfip.org

  2. Re: Linux on an Indy

    AlbaClause wrote:
    >Just wondering if anybody is running Linux on their Indy? Or that
    >blasphemy?

    Yes. But anyway I heard it should work.

    Toni

  3. Re: Linux on an Indy

    AlbaClause wrote in news:QbP6g.70471$fd.1256
    @read2.cgocable.net:

    > Just wondering if anybody is running Linux on their Indy? Or that
    > blasphemy?

    Why would you want to?? Stick with what works...IRIX

    -ks

  4. Re: Linux on an Indy

    Toni Grass wrote:

    > AlbaClause wrote:
    >>Just wondering if anybody is running Linux on their Indy? Or that
    >>blasphemy?

    > Yes. But anyway I heard it should work.
    >
    > Toni

    I'm actually running Debian Sarge on my Indy at the moment. Mostly because
    I don't have IRIX to run on it. Regardless, I was just wondering if
    anybody else was using Linux on the Indy, as I have some questions about
    VINO and using the 'video in' ports on the Indy.

    --- PAC*RAT ---
    People Against Corruption * Right Always Triumphs
    http://sarnia.selfip.org

  5. Re: Linux on an Indy

    On Fri, 05 May 2006 17:13:39 -0400, AlbaClause wrote:
    > Just wondering if anybody is running Linux on their Indy? Or that
    > blasphemy?

    It is some kind of blasphemy... but it should work. What apparently also
    seems to work quite well is NetBSD. A friend of mine has been running
    various versions of that during the last ~2 years on an Indy / Challenge S.

    Note though that free OSes will most likely not give you full hardware
    support.

    Gerhard
    --
    SGI Hardware Info and Museum -- http://sgistuff.g-lenerz.de/
    "Wanted Items" -- http://sgistuff.g-lenerz.de/collection/wanted.php

    ( iris / IRIX / IP22 )

  6. Re: Linux on an Indy

    Le Fri, 05 May 2006 21:23:34 -0400, AlbaClause a écrit*:

    > I was just wondering if
    > anybody else was using Linux on the Indy, as I have some questions about
    > VINO and using the 'video in' ports on the Indy.

    AFAIK, you can't use VINO at all with Linux (or *BSD). You need IRIX for
    that.

    --
    Toutes les organisations ont leur règles, et les Femmes Algériennes
    doivent avoir aussi leurs règles.

  7. Re: Linux on an Indy

    Emmanuel Florac wrote:

    > Le Fri, 05 May 2006 21:23:34 -0400, AlbaClause a écrit*:
    >
    >> I was just wondering if
    >> anybody else was using Linux on the Indy, as I have some questions about
    >> VINO and using the 'video in' ports on the Indy.

    > AFAIK, you can't use VINO at all with Linux (or *BSD). You need IRIX for
    > that.

    That's what I had heard as well, but then I found this
    http://www.linux-mips.org/~ladis/vino/vino.html

    I played around with it for a while and managed to get a very dark iage from
    my IndyCam.

    There's also this http://koti.mbnet.fi/~turja/vino/

    Thanks

    --- RAT*PAC ---
    People Against Corruption * Right Always Triumphs
    http://sarnia.selfip.org

  8. Re: Linux on an Indy

    On 2006-05-05, AlbaClause wrote:

    > Just wondering if anybody is running Linux on their Indy? Or that
    > blasphemy?

    I had Debian-mips running on an Indy for a while, but found it
    unsastisfactory. The Newport X server is severely lacking in
    functionality.

    If you don't need X, it should work fine.

    --

    John (john@os2.dhs.org)

  9. Re: Linux on an Indy

    John Thompson wrote:

    > On 2006-05-05, AlbaClause wrote:
    >
    >> Just wondering if anybody is running Linux on their Indy? Or that
    >> blasphemy?

    > I had Debian-mips running on an Indy for a while, but found it
    > unsastisfactory. The Newport X server is severely lacking in
    > functionality.
    >
    > If you don't need X, it should work fine.

    I'm running a web server on my Indy. Using Debian Sarge with Apache, and
    it runs quite satisfactorily. I'm also using my Indy as an NFS fileshare
    for my PC Linux box. Again, I'm quite satisfied with the performance.

    As for X, I have Gnome and Blackbox installed on my Indy, which I use via
    XDMCP on my PC Linux Box. Gnome runs really slowly, as I need to upgrade
    the RAM on my Indy. Blackbox works quite well with the limited memory
    resources however.

    People Against Corruption * Right Always Triumphs
    Website: http://sarnia.selfip.org

+ Reply to Thread