no more Graphics in SGI? - SGI

This is a discussion on no more Graphics in SGI? - SGI ; Heres an interesting article I read this morning. As both a stock holder and enthusiast I'm very disappointed that SGI management has led us to this possible sort of scenario: http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=30029 Matt S....

  1. no more Graphics in SGI?

    Heres an interesting article I read this morning. As both a stock
    holder and enthusiast I'm very disappointed that SGI management has led
    us to this possible sort of scenario:

    http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=30029

    Matt S.

  2. Re: no more Graphics in SGI?

    As far as I know, all of graphics development at SGI was layed off
    yesterday, March 2nd.

  3. Re: no more Graphics in SGI?

    mayamatt wrote:
    > Heres an interesting article I read this morning. As both a stock
    > holder and enthusiast I'm very disappointed that SGI management has led
    > us to this possible sort of scenario:
    >
    > http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=30029
    >
    > Matt S.

    Straight from the horse's mouth (or at least what's left of it):
    http://www.sgi.com/company_info/news...ructuring.html

  4. Re: no more Graphics in SGI?

    Hi,

    in my opinion, SGI should become a graphics card manufacturer.

    -DBS

    --
    http://batchtranscode.sourceforge.net

  5. Re: no more Graphics in SGI?

    On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 15:51:09 +0100,
    Dennis-Bendert Schramm , in
    <470c6tFd7gmiU1@individual.net> wrote:

    >+ in my opinion, SGI should become a graphics card manufacturer.

    In a market dominated by NVidia and ATI, they wouldn't stand a chance.

    isn't looking good, either.

  6. Re: no more Graphics in SGI?

    Dennis-Bendert Schramm wrote:

    > in my opinion, SGI should become a graphics card manufacturer.

    As others have said, a bad idea. However, one of the key things that
    people are missing is where SGI also really shined.....ARCHITECTURE.
    SGI made machines that could move data and move it fricking faster
    than anyone, and they still do. SGI's expertise in computer architecture
    could very well save them, if the CEO and management does things right.
    If they execute the server strategy properly, they could potentially
    turn things around and start back into graphics workstation market and
    start communicating with nVidia and having the develop custom chipsets
    for them. I hate ATI and they suck, so SGI should stay away from them.
    Anway, just my 0x02 bits.

    -Steve

  7. Re: no more Graphics in SGI?

    Steven J. Hill schreef:
    > Dennis-Bendert Schramm wrote:
    >>
    >> in my opinion, SGI should become a graphics card manufacturer.
    >>

    > As others have said, a bad idea. However, one of the key things that
    > people are missing is where SGI also really shined.....ARCHITECTURE.
    > SGI made machines that could move data and move it fricking faster
    > than anyone, and they still do. SGI's expertise in computer architecture
    > could very well save them, if the CEO and management does things right.
    > If they execute the server strategy properly, they could potentially
    > turn things around and start back into graphics workstation market and
    > start communicating with nVidia and having the develop custom chipsets
    > for them. I hate ATI and they suck, so SGI should stay away from them.
    > Anway, just my 0x02 bits.
    >
    > -Steve

    I have to stick with the above mentioned opinion from Steve. I have been
    working in the graphics industry for over 10 years now and I expected
    this move to happen for a few years already. It's not only that linux is
    taking over the workstation market but the combination of linux, cheap
    workstations and software manufacturers who now support their software
    on the linux platform. Sgi has lost the war on the graphics and CPU side
    of it's business because it is impossible to be succesfull in the three
    areas they where operating in. 1. CPU design, 2. Architecture,
    3. Graphics. The companies who are most succesfull in these areas these
    days, are companies who focus on one of these things only: AMD, Intel,
    Nvidea etc. Their attitude towards their customers has to change as well.

    Roy

+ Reply to Thread