HD format - SGI

This is a discussion on HD format - SGI ; H Is it possible to recover data from a HD after format? I've Indigo with Irix 6.2. Indigo2 has two HDs, with the system and external wit data Data was lost while I was mounting that external HD to another ...

  1. HD format

    Is it possible to recover data from a HD after format? I've Indigo
    with Irix 6.2. Indigo2 has two HDs, with the system and external wit
    data

    Data was lost while I was mounting that external HD to another SGI
    Indy. I clicked on 'Initialize'... I realized after a few second
    what have I done, but it was too late. I plugged external HD back t
    the Indigo2, but is says that external is completly empty :

    Help

  2. Re: HD format

    In article <43fca0ea$0$48759$892e7fe2@authen.yellow.readfreene ws.net>,
    april102 wrote:
    >Is it possible to recover data from a HD after format?

    >Data was lost while I was mounting that external HD to another SGI -
    >Indy. I clicked on 'Initialize'... I realized after a few seconds
    >what have I done, but it was too late.

    You should effectively consider the data to be unrecoverable,
    unless you have literally tens of thousands of dollars that you
    are willing to pay to get it back.

    If you turned off the power while it was formatting, some of the data
    might be intact and -relatively- easy to read, but the companies
    that do this kind of work charge a lot anyhow. For any section that
    the format had already reached, the data would be difficult to get back.

    When a SCSI format is done, the drive controller often ends up
    re-writing every sector, as the format is the time that the SCSI
    sector numbers are written on to the disc.

+ Reply to Thread