Re: Future of SGI? - SGI

This is a discussion on Re: Future of SGI? - SGI ; On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 10:54:25 GMT Tristram Scott wrote: > Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler wrote: > > In article , > > mapesdhs@yahoo.com wrote: > > > > > > : Meanwhile, Linux still doesn't feel particularly professional to me, ...

  1. Re: Future of SGI?

    On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 10:54:25 GMT
    Tristram Scott wrote:

    > Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler wrote:
    > > In article <1138746987.077118.6470@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.co m>,
    > > mapesdhs@yahoo.com wrote:
    > >

    > > : Meanwhile, Linux still doesn't feel particularly professional to me, and lacks the
    > > : integrated, ease-of-use feel that I get in IRIX. Trying to set something up in Linux
    > > : feels too much like I'm expected to get my hands dirty downloading all sorts of extra
    > > : packages and dealing with dependencies; why should I have to do that?
    > >
    > > I've been fairly happy with Debian. They've got pretty much every linux app in
    > > existence in their repository, with full automatic dependancy fetching etc. Just
    > > one command to install it and everything it needs. Keeping things up to date
    > > with the latest versions is just as easy and automatic.
    > >
    > > It's certainly not the same experience as IRIX, but it's certainly very workable.
    > >

    > Solaris 'x86 is pretty good these days. Virtually identical to Solaris on
    > Sparc. Excellent price (free) with development software also available
    > free (Sun's compilers). I think it has a lot more of a robust and well
    > planned feel to it than Linux. I still prefer IRIX, where everything seems
    > to just work the way it should, but given that migration is now inevitable,
    > I think Solaris is worthy of consideration.
    >
    > --
    > Dr Tristram J. Scott
    > Energy Consultant

    Meanwhile,

    SGI has a New CEO Dennis McKenna,

  2. Re: Future of SGI?

    > Meanwhile,
    >
    > SGI has a New CEO Dennis McKenna

    He succeeded Bishop yesterday.
    At the first sight, looks like McKenna
    is an accomplished businessman and executive.
    Strong background in semiconductor industry

+ Reply to Thread