Future of SGI? - SGI

This is a discussion on Future of SGI? - SGI ; kolaric wrote: > After all, they invented OpenGL and computer > graphics, so to speak. I'm sure that kids, playing all those > OpenGL-based games, would buy such a thing > in a heartbeat. There are no OpenGL-based games that ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 46 of 46

Thread: Future of SGI?

  1. Re: Future of SGI?

    kolaric wrote:
    > After all, they invented OpenGL and computer
    > graphics, so to speak. I'm sure that kids, playing all those
    > OpenGL-based games, would buy such a thing
    > in a heartbeat.


    There are no OpenGL-based games that the kids play, so there is no such
    market. Everything uses DirectX these days so.

    Dag

  2. Re: Future of SGI?

    In article , Dag wrote:

    : There are no OpenGL-based games that the kids play, so there is no such
    : market. Everything uses DirectX these days so.

    Funny, I seem to recall a few kids playing Quake 1/2/3 and Doom 3 and games
    based on those engines, like RTCW, Quake 4, etc. The World of Warcraft and
    Unreal Tournament 2k3 and 2k4 engines also have OpenGL support.

    Also, don't confuse DirectX with Direct3D. DirectX incorporates a number of
    technologies including input management, Direct3D, DirectShow, some kind of
    sound API, etc etc.

    That said, there's no room in the gamer market for a graphics card that doesn't
    support Direct3D, for obvious reasons.


    Cheers - Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler

    --
    Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler -- Master of Code-fu -- nicoya@ubb.ca
    -- http://nicoya.feline.pp.se/ -- http://www.ubb.ca/ --

  3. Re: Future of SGI?

    Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler writes:
    > In article , Dag wrote:
    >
    > : There are no OpenGL-based games that the kids play, so there is no such
    > : market. Everything uses DirectX these days so.
    >
    > Funny, I seem to recall a few kids playing Quake 1/2/3 and Doom 3 and games
    > based on those engines, like RTCW, Quake 4, etc. The World of Warcraft and
    > Unreal Tournament 2k3 and 2k4 engines also have OpenGL support.


    Because of the excessive violence these games are usually only sold
    at 18+ in european countries.

    Thomas Jahns
    --
    "Computers are good at following instructions,
    but not at reading your mind."
    D. E. Knuth, The TeXbook, Addison-Wesley 1984, 1986, 1996, p. 9

  4. Re: Future of SGI?

    Thomas Jahns wrote:
    > Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler writes:
    >
    >>In article , Dag wrote:
    >>
    >>: There are no OpenGL-based games that the kids play, so there is no such
    >>: market. Everything uses DirectX these days so.
    >>
    >>Funny, I seem to recall a few kids playing Quake 1/2/3 and Doom 3 and games
    >>based on those engines


    Most of which are very old and in no way come anywhere near stressing
    current hardware, and thus wouldn't benefit from better hardware

    > like RTCW, Quake 4, etc.


    I'll grant there are a couple of games.

    >>The World of Warcraft and
    >>Unreal Tournament 2k3 and 2k4 engines also have OpenGL support.


    They do, but by all accounts they all work better with DirectX. The
    bottom line is that without top notch DirectX support any new gaming
    card would be dead in the water. No ones going to buy a card that works
    really well with only 5% of your potential software.

    Dag

  5. Re: Future of SGI?

    On 2006-03-06, Dag Wästberg wrote:
    >
    > Most of which are very old and in no way come anywhere near stressing
    > current hardware, and thus wouldn't benefit from better hardware
    >
    >> like RTCW, Quake 4, etc.

    >
    > I'll grant there are a couple of games.


    ID Software games more precisely. There is still opengl in modern graphic
    cards mainly (only ?) because of them.

    --
    Herve Boulouis

  6. Re: Future of SGI?

    > Because of the excessive violence these games are usually only sold
    > at 18+ in european countries.


    Misguided as it may seem, there's probably as many people under as
    there are over 18 that actually play those games, and there seems to be
    no age restriction law governing private sales. The age restrictions
    for games are pretty mute anyway, most of the time films and even real
    news show far worse things.


+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3