The freeware died? - SGI

This is a discussion on The freeware died? - SGI ; Anyone know why SGI stopped updating http://freeware.sgi.com/ ? The company I work for has bought tons of SGI systems for our customers for the last 16 years, but it's getting increasingly difficult to support our software now that the freeware ...

  1. The freeware died?

    Anyone know why SGI stopped updating http://freeware.sgi.com/ ?

    The company I work for has bought tons of SGI systems for our customers for
    the last 16 years, but it's getting increasingly difficult to support our
    software now that the freeware is getting so obsolete. We really need all
    of those libraries, and the job of porting/installing it would be too costly
    for us - so I'm sorry to say that we're moving to other platforms now.
    SGI used to be one of the best for third party software, now they're almost
    the worst. Which saddens me.

    -Tor

  2. Re: The freeware died?

    Le Mon, 16 Jan 2006 18:17:10 +0000, Tor a écrit*:

    > The company I work for has bought tons of SGI systems for our customers
    > for the last 16 years, but it's getting increasingly difficult to support
    > our software now that the freeware is getting so obsolete.

    You can find up-to date packages of all these applications and many more
    on www.nekochan.net.

    --
    Je suis riche des biens dont je sais me passer.
    Louis-Jean-Baptiste Etienne Vigée.

  3. Re: The freeware died?

    Emmanuel Florac wrote:
    >Le Mon, 16 Jan 2006 18:17:10 +0000, Tor a écritÂ*:
    >> The company I work for has bought tons of SGI systems for our customers
    >> for the last 16 years, but it's getting increasingly difficult to support
    >> our software now that the freeware is getting so obsolete.

    >You can find up-to date packages of all these applications and many more
    >on www.nekochan.net.

    Another option is to use the NetBSD port system, which is a far larger
    collection than nekochan's. They also tend to concentrate (a bit) more on
    serious software like apache, postfix, and bind:

    scs

  4. Re: The freeware died?

    Le Mon, 16 Jan 2006 21:15:01 +0000, S.C.Sprong a écrit*:

    > Another option is to use the NetBSD port system, which is a far larger
    > collection than nekochan's. They also tend to concentrate (a bit) more on
    > serious software like apache, postfix, and bind:

    Yes, but nekochan programs are in tardist format. And do all NetBSD ports
    compile easily on IRIX ?

    --
    Si non confectus non reficiat.

  5. Re: The freeware died?

    Emmanuel Florac wrote:
    >Le Mon, 16 Jan 2006 21:15:01 +0000, S.C.Sprong a écritÂ*:
    >> Another option is to use the NetBSD port system, which is a far larger
    >> collection than nekochan's.

    >Yes, but nekochan programs are in tardist format.

    Depending on one's point of view, this is both a blessing and a curse.
    If you have complete control over the build and distribution process, I'd
    prefer a compressed tar file over an undocumented format that is geared
    towards binary patches.

    I don't know much about the inner workings of SGI's swpg yet, but it seems
    that SGI inst templates must be designed by hand at least once for every
    software package. If that is correct, then it wouldn't be much extra work
    to import programs compiled in NetBSD's port system.

    >And do all NetBSD ports compile easily on IRIX ?

    The BSD port systems are nothing more than a collection of platform, OS,
    and compiler dependent patches over main source distributions and a means
    to install and remove them. As usual, the most difficult programs to build
    are GNU/Linux/Gnome dependent products and Common Lisp (cucl).

    Once in a while, working IRIX ports are compiled with MipsPro 7.4.x by
    the IRIX pkg maintainer. The last build was for the second quarter of
    2005 and consisted of almost 2000 (sub-)programs.

    scs

  6. Re: The freeware died?

    In article ,
    Emmanuel Florac writes:
    > Le Mon, 16 Jan 2006 21:15:01 +0000, S.C.Sprong a écrit*:
    >> Another option is to use the NetBSD port system, which is a far larger
    >> collection than nekochan's. They also tend to concentrate (a bit) more on
    >> serious software like apache, postfix, and bind:
    >>

    > Yes, but nekochan programs are in tardist format. And do all NetBSD ports
    > compile easily on IRIX ?

    Most do, some don't. I wanted to build Firefox with more current libraries.
    I had to do some serious fudging to get some of the NetBSD packages to build
    and install. (I couldn't tell you what I did, I didn't take notes. It was
    all hack, hack, hack until something worked. Not much of it was proper
    fixes, in some instances I hacked things while the build was in progress...)

    ~Steve

  7. Re: The freeware died?

    Thanks to those who replied (and to J.N. who replyed by mail).
    I'll take a look at the nekochan packages (initial impression is
    good, although I would have preferred it to install in /usr/freeware
    because of standard path issues, but that's not a major problem).
    If necessary I'll also look at the netbsd packages.

    I'm still baffled as to why SGI doesn't understand how important
    those freeware packages were to the usefulness of SGI machines.
    As indicated in my original posting we've practically been OEM
    sellers of SGI systems, but we have by now moved almost entirely
    over to other platforms which are better supported in this respect.

    -Tor

+ Reply to Thread