upgrading my o2 - SGI

This is a discussion on upgrading my o2 - SGI ; hello all, while searching ebay, i found some interesting piexes of hardware on ebay.. motherboard upgrades, etc... my O2 is an R5000 @180Mhz. can i use another motherboard ? for example, i found an SGI O2 195Mhz R10K SC Processor ...

  1. upgrading my o2

    hello all,

    while searching ebay, i found some interesting piexes of hardware on
    ebay.. motherboard upgrades, etc...
    my O2 is an R5000 @180Mhz.

    can i use another motherboard ?
    for example, i found an SGI O2 195Mhz R10K SC Processor w Motherboard
    & Riser..
    can i use it with my O2 ?

    George

  2. Re: upgrading my o2

    Hello,

    You can use another motherboard. They normally come on sleds that you push
    into the back of the box. There are two form factors for the
    sleds/motherboards. One is wider than the other; the wider one takes up one
    of the drive bays. Just make sure you check the picture on ebay to make
    sure it's the proper width.

    -Rob

    "gmich" wrote in message
    > hello all,
    >
    > while searching ebay, i found some interesting piexes of hardware on
    > ebay.. motherboard upgrades, etc...
    > my O2 is an R5000 @180Mhz.
    >
    > can i use another motherboard ?
    > for example, i found an SGI O2 195Mhz R10K SC Processor w Motherboard
    > & Riser..
    > can i use it with my O2 ?
    >
    > George

  3. Re: upgrading my o2

    Robert Ramsey wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > You can use another motherboard. They normally come on sleds that you push
    > into the back of the box. There are two form factors for the
    > sleds/motherboards. One is wider than the other; the wider one takes up one
    > of the drive bays. Just make sure you check the picture on ebay to make
    > sure it's the proper width.

    Or if you want to use a wider board in your smaller case there is a
    screw on the bottom that comes out to remove the metal "cage".

  4. Re: upgrading my o2

    In article ,
    Steve Sigman wrote:

    : Or if you want to use a wider board in your smaller case there is a
    : screw on the bottom that comes out to remove the metal "cage".

    The removable drive cage was only present on later O2s, early R5k O2s do not
    have this feature.

    I think you can install an R10k board in an R5k tray though, if you give up the
    PCI slot.

    Cheers - Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler

  5. Re: upgrading my o2

    You have to keep the PCI Riser. The NIC (Number In a Can, system serial
    number) resides on a transistor next to the PCI slot on the PCI Riser card.

    -Rob

    "Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler" wrote in message
    > In article ,
    > Steve Sigman wrote:
    >
    > : Or if you want to use a wider board in your smaller case there is a
    > : screw on the bottom that comes out to remove the metal "cage".
    >
    > The removable drive cage was only present on later O2s, early R5k O2s do

    not
    > have this feature.
    >
    > I think you can install an R10k board in an R5k tray though, if you give

    up the
    > PCI slot.
    >

    > Cheers - Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler
    >
    > --