fresh irix installation - SGI

This is a discussion on fresh irix installation - SGI ; hello all, my O2 had a hd crash, and few days ago i found a hd to replace the old one. the problem is that i lost the installation cds.. a friend gave me some nero images of Irix 6.5.26 ...

  1. fresh irix installation

    hello all,

    my O2 had a hd crash, and few days ago i found a hd to replace the old
    one.
    the problem is that i lost the installation cds..

    a friend gave me some nero images of Irix 6.5.26 Installation Tools
    And Overlays (3 cds), but i dont know how to install.
    when i boot the O2, select from the graphics screen "install system
    software", select "from local cdrom", it prompts to insert the system
    cdrom.
    after this, i get the following message:

    dks0d1s0: volume header not valid
    swap partition (0) is not a valid swap area.
    Press to return to the menu:

    i burned the images using nero, at a low speed.

    So, how can install the system again on my O2 ?

    thank you very much in advance,

    George

  2. Re: fresh irix installation

    gmich schrieb:
    > hello all,
    >
    > my O2 had a hd crash, and few days ago i found a hd to replace the old
    > one.
    > the problem is that i lost the installation cds..
    >
    > a friend gave me some nero images of Irix 6.5.26 Installation Tools
    > And Overlays (3 cds), but i dont know how to install.
    > when i boot the O2, select from the graphics screen "install system
    > software", select "from local cdrom", it prompts to insert the system
    > cdrom.
    > after this, i get the following message:
    >
    > dks0d1s0: volume header not valid
    > swap partition (0) is not a valid swap area.
    > Press to return to the menu:
    >
    > i burned the images using nero, at a low speed.
    >
    > So, how can install the system again on my O2 ?

    Just read http://www.futuretech.blinkenlights.nl/6.5inst.html . You have
    to create a root partition first before start installing the OS. Btw.
    without the IRIX base CD set you cant finished the installsation because
    the Overlays only contains the updates.

    regards
    Joerg

+ Reply to Thread