Irix 6.5 Development Foundation - SGI

This is a discussion on Irix 6.5 Development Foundation - SGI ; Hi Group, I've been unable to compile with gcc on my new installation of Irix 6.5, and I assume the reason is that my copy of the Irix 6.5 Development Foundation CD was rejected during the installation; it something to ...

  1. Irix 6.5 Development Foundation

    Hi Group,

    I've been unable to compile with gcc on my new installation of Irix 6.5, and
    assume the reason is that my copy of the Irix 6.5 Development Foundation CD
    was
    rejected during the installation; it something to the effect of not being
    compatible with my version of Irix.

    I did some googling and found this:

    http://www.faqs.org/faqs/sgi/faq/admin/section-37.html

    I did issue the "keep *" command, of course this was after I'd inserted all
    the
    CDs i wanted to install from, including the rejected Development Foundation
    CD.

    If I understand these directions correctly, I need to do a complete
    reinstall of
    Irix wherein I issue the "keep *" command before inserting the Development
    Foundation CD. Which means I then get to set up user accounts again, manage
    security, configure applications, etc., etc., all the stuff I've been doing
    for
    days.

    Does anyone know of a less taxing way of getting the Development Foundation
    software on my damn box?

    Thanks,

    -- SGINewbie

  2. Re: Irix 6.5 Development Foundation

    SGINewbie wrote:
    > Hi Group,

    [...]
    > If I understand these directions correctly, I need to do a complete
    > reinstall of Irix [...] Which means I then get to set up user accounts
    > again, manage security, configure applications, etc., etc., all the stuff
    > I've been doing for days.

    AFAIK, no! IRIX is _no_ Windows. It honours your work.

    If you choose swmgr and its GUI instead of inst, there´s more comfort,
    especially when ironing out strange installation conflicts.

    Feed additional CDs as much as you have, esp. different versions
    (of dev. foundation?) swmgr tells what it wants an what it doesn´t.

    Walther

  3. Re: Irix 6.5 Development Foundation

    SGINewbie schrieb:
    > Hi Group,
    >
    > I've been unable to compile with gcc on my new installation of Irix 6.5, and
    > assume the reason is that my copy of the Irix 6.5 Development Foundation CD
    > was
    > rejected during the installation; it something to the effect of not being
    > compatible with my version of Irix.
    >
    > I did some googling and found this:
    >
    > http://www.faqs.org/faqs/sgi/faq/admin/section-37.html
    >
    > I did issue the "keep *" command, of course this was after I'd inserted all
    > the
    > CDs i wanted to install from, including the rejected Development Foundation
    > CD.
    >
    > If I understand these directions correctly, I need to do a complete
    > reinstall of
    > Irix wherein I issue the "keep *" command before inserting the Development
    > Foundation CD. Which means I then get to set up user accounts again, manage
    > security, configure applications, etc., etc., all the stuff I've been doing
    > for
    > days.

    "keep *" is the command for de-selecting every pacakge from a
    distribution. Without any other command it makes not much sence

    keep *
    install standard
    go

    or

    keep *
    install foobar.sw
    go

    As Walter already says it might me easier for you to use swmgr. If
    you're missing the 'commandline' in the GUI you have to enable it from
    the upper right 'panes' menu or so.
    > Does anyone know of a less taxing way of getting the Development Foundation
    > software on my damn box?

    Fireup the "swmgr -f /path/to/the/dist" and use custom installation to
    see whats select on default. The conflicts can be solved by ADDING your
    current overlay cd set to the distribution because the Dev. cds holds
    old packages which are incompatible with your current eoe* stuff. They
    need to be upgraded and this must be do in 'one step'. Thats the reason
    why you have to insert and old media set and your current.

    You always have this 'problem' when you installs packages from the irix
    base set.

    regards
    Joerg

  4. Re: Irix 6.5 Development Foundation

    SGINewbie wrote:

    > Hi Group,
    >
    > I've been unable to compile with gcc on my new installation of Irix 6.5, and

    [snip]

    You don't specify whether you installed any of the maintenance releases,
    etc. so if you did, you will need the disks for 6.5, the dev foundation
    included, AND the disks for the maintenance release. If you're aware of
    all that, well it couldn't hurt for someone else to read.

  5. Re: Irix 6.5 Development Foundation

    On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 10:49:39 -0600, Eric H.
    wrote:

    > SGINewbie wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Group,
    >> I've been unable to compile with gcc on my new installation of Irix
    >> 6.5, and

    > [snip]
    >
    > You don't specify whether you installed any of the maintenance releases,
    > etc. so if you did, you will need the disks for 6.5, the dev foundation
    > included, AND the disks for the maintenance release. If you're aware of
    > all that, well it couldn't hurt for someone else to read.

    The best way that I know of to answer this is to tell you explicitly what
    CDs I installed:

    Seq# Prod# Description
    200 812-0759-002 IRIX 6.5 Foundation 1
    700 812-0964-007 Freeware [part 2 of 2] February 2000
    220 812-0877-006 IRIX 6.5 Applications February 2000
    300 812-0766-002 IRIX 6.5 Development Libraries
    201 812-0760-002 IRIX 6.5 Foundation 2
    700 812-0773-007 Freeware [part 1 of 2] February 2000
    100 812-0818-007 IRIX 6.5.7 Installation Tools and Overlays [1 of 2]
    February 2000
    101 812-0819-007 IRIX 6.5.7 Overlays [2 of 2] February 2000

    Before installing, I cleaned the disk according to the instructions for
    installation of Irix 6.5 on Ian Mapleson's site:
    http://www.futuretech.blinkenlights.nl/6.5inst.html

    I actually initially entered all the CDs in the proper order according to
    the sequence number (starting at 100 and working up to 700), but after all
    the CDs were read in and I entered "go", it installed from the CDs in the
    order shown above.

    I believe when it asked me to choose between maintenance stream and
    feature stream, I chose feature stream.

    If there's anything else I can tell you, just ask.

    Thanks very much,

    --SGINewbie

  6. Re: Irix 6.5 Development Foundation

    > Fireup the "swmgr -f /path/to/the/dist" and use custom installation to
    > see whats select on default. The conflicts can be solved by ADDING your
    > current overlay cd set to the distribution because the Dev. cds holds old
    > packages which are incompatible with your current eoe* stuff. They need to
    > be upgraded and this must be do in 'one step'. Thats the reason why you
    > have to insert and old media set and your current.
    >
    > You always have this 'problem' when you installs packages from the irix
    > base set.

    Ok, i think i'm getting it.
    The page I found said that the Development Foundation CD wasn't working
    because I didn't properly open all the distributions when I installed, and I
    assumed that opening them all was something I had to do when I'm installing
    everything.
    But you're saying that I can just go into the Software Manager, open all the
    CDs, and then choose just to install the software on the Dev. Foundation CD?
    Sounds good to me :-)

    Unfortunately, I'm pretty swamped with work tonite, so I might not get to
    this for a couple of days. I did want to let you guys know that I got the
    message though, and I sincerely appreciate you letting me use your
    knowledge. I'll update as soon as I've had a chance to give this a whirl.

    Thanks everybody,

    --SGINewbie

  7. Re: Irix 6.5 Development Foundation

    I have the same problem. I want install Python2.4.2 and i need gcc. I
    have installed Development Foudation with the "swmgr -f /CDROM/dist"
    command. I have some problem to install the "Development Libraries" CD.
    On my system i haven't /usr/include/stdio.h and more header files!!!

    First step:: compile and install gcc 4.0.2 suite.

    Someone have a niche hit for me?

    Bye, Keres.

  8. Re: Irix 6.5 Development Foundation

    info@kerescontorni.com schrieb:
    > I have the same problem. I want install Python2.4.2 and i need gcc. I
    > have installed Development Foudation with the "swmgr -f /CDROM/dist"
    > command. I have some problem to install the "Development Libraries" CD.
    > On my system i haven't /usr/include/stdio.h and more header files!!!
    >
    > First step:: compile and install gcc 4.0.2 suite.
    >
    > Someone have a niche hit for me?
    >
    > Bye, Keres.

    Install Development Libraries, Development Foundation and keep your
    recent Overlay CDs handy.

    regards
    Joerg

+ Reply to Thread