source of HDs? - SGI

This is a discussion on source of HDs? - SGI ; Forgive the possibly ignorant question; I am only a very casual SGI/Irix hobbiest. The HD in my O2 is only 2GB, which is awfully cramped for 6.5.19 plus any useful software. I just installed the AlephOne binaries from Nekochan, and ...

  1. source of HDs?

    Forgive the possibly ignorant question; I am only a very casual SGI/Irix
    hobbiest.

    The HD in my O2 is only 2GB, which is awfully cramped for 6.5.19 plus
    any useful software. I just installed the AlephOne binaries from
    Nekochan, and had to throw out some unused stuff in order to have enough
    space. Are there any special requirements for drives to work in SGI
    boxen that I should be aware of? Assuming I find a larger drive (are
    there any good sources I should check besides eBay?), is there a way to
    image my current drive over to it so that I don't have to reinstall
    everything?

    Thanks,
    Tim

  2. Re: source of HDs?

    Timothy Larson schrieb:
    > Forgive the possibly ignorant question; I am only a very casual SGI/Irix
    > hobbiest.
    >
    > The HD in my O2 is only 2GB, which is awfully cramped for 6.5.19 plus
    > any useful software. I just installed the AlephOne binaries from

    Good to see that at least one person on this planet use my tardist

    > Nekochan, and had to throw out some unused stuff in order to have enough
    > space. Are there any special requirements for drives to work in SGI
    > boxen that I should be aware of? Assuming I find a larger drive (are

    Any 1" high SCA or SCA2 80pin disk should work. Go for a newer 36gb
    seagate or fujitsu modell.

    > there any good sources I should check besides eBay?), is there a way to
    > image my current drive over to it so that I don't have to reinstall

    If you can connect both disks at same time to the machine you can easily
    clone your system disk to the newer one and later you can swap the
    drives. You'll find a nice howto on Ian M. pages.
    http://www.futuretech.blinkenlights....les.html#CLONE

    Keep in mind that in r10k based o2 there is no space for a 2nd internal
    disk and for connecting a SCA based disk to the external 68pin UW bus
    you need a adapter and proper cables.

    > everything?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Tim

    regards
    Joerg

  3. Re: source of HDs?

    Joerg Behrens wrote:
    > Good to see that at least one person on this planet use my tardist

    Yes, thank you very much for doing that! I was going to try to compile
    it myself (if you read the alt.games.marathon archives) about the same
    time I found yours. Long live Marathon! I hope to have a LAN party
    sometime soon an introduce my friends to a classic.

    > Any 1" high SCA or SCA2 80pin disk should work. Go for a newer 36gb
    > seagate or fujitsu modell.
    >

    > If you can connect both disks at same time to the machine you can easily
    > clone your system disk to the newer one and later you can swap the
    > drives. You'll find a nice howto on Ian M. pages.
    > http://www.futuretech.blinkenlights....les.html#CLONE
    >

    > Keep in mind that in r10k based o2 there is no space for a 2nd internal
    > disk and for connecting a SCA based disk to the external 68pin UW bus
    > you need a adapter and proper cables.

    Thanks for all the info!

    Tim

+ Reply to Thread