Compiler Installation - SGI

This is a discussion on Compiler Installation - SGI ; I recently acquired an O2, which came with a set of IRIX 6.3 CDs, including IDO 7.0.1 and Varsity Developer Package Update, as well as a set of 6.5.17 CDs (overlays,found 1,2,apps) + 6.5 IDF/IDL cds. The machine had 6.5.17 ...

  1. Compiler Installation

    I recently acquired an O2, which came with a set of IRIX 6.3 CDs,
    including IDO 7.0.1 and Varsity Developer Package Update, as well as a
    set of 6.5.17 CDs (overlays,found 1,2,apps) + 6.5 IDF/IDL cds.

    The machine had 6.5.17 and compilers 7.2.1 installed on it, but it was
    so slow - like 10secs to open a shell. Liberal use of chkconfig off
    helped speed things up quite a bit, but with a 2GB drive 95% full, I
    thought a space upgrade was in order.

    So I replaced the 2GB with an 18, installed the same 6.5.17m off of
    CDs, and wow, fast!

    But now no compiler.
    I looked into installing the IDF/IDL, which I know should let me use
    gcc, but the IDL generated lotsa conflicts - stuff incompatible with
    "IRIX Base Execution Environment" this sounds bad to me - or can this
    be fixed somehow by pulling something off the overlay cds? Or do I
    need new IDF/IDL?

    Of course, I'd really want the MIPSpro compilers, but I don't seem to
    have the cd. Is there a way to transfer it/back it up off of the 2GB
    drive? Can this be interfaced so the software manager would recognise
    it's installed? (Kinda like that system).

    I image the 6.3 IDO cds are useless to me, not worth going back to 6.3?

    Thanks,
    Dave

  2. Re: Compiler Installation

    schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    news:1122573711.904098.194150@f14g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com...
    >I recently acquired an O2, which came with a set of IRIX 6.3 CDs,
    > including IDO 7.0.1 and Varsity Developer Package Update, as well as
    > set of 6.5.17 CDs (overlays,found 1,2,apps) + 6.5 IDF/IDL cds.
    >
    > The machine had 6.5.17 and compilers 7.2.1 installed on it, but it
    > was
    > so slow - like 10secs to open a shell. Liberal use of chkconfig off
    > helped speed things up quite a bit, but with a 2GB drive 95% full, I
    > thought a space upgrade was in order.
    >
    > So I replaced the 2GB with an 18, installed the same 6.5.17m off of
    > CDs, and wow, fast!

    Download for 6.5.22 is for free. Just sign up for a supportfolio which
    is free and download the stuff. Dont forget to install also all the
    ..22 public patches. Before you made a upgrade to .22 besure that you
    have installed patch 5086. With the .22 release both m and f streams
    are merged so a old version of the swmgr cant understand the new
    layout and show alot of conflicts.

    > But now no compiler.
    > I looked into installing the IDF/IDL, which I know should let me use
    > gcc, but the IDL generated lotsa conflicts - stuff incompatible with
    > "IRIX Base Execution Environment" this sounds bad to me - or can
    > this
    > be fixed somehow by pulling something off the overlay cds? Or do I
    > need new IDF/IDL?

    Just also insert the acutal Overlay cds to resolve the conflicts

    > Of course, I'd really want the MIPSpro compilers, but I don't seem
    > have the cd. Is there a way to transfer it/back it up off of the
    > 2GB
    > drive?

    No.

    > Can this be interfaced so the software manager would recognise
    > it's installed? (Kinda like that system).
    >
    > I image the 6.3 IDO cds are useless to me, not worth going back to
    > 6.3?

    Yes.

    regards
    Joerg Behrens

    --
    TakeNet GmbH Mobil: 0171/60 57 963
    D-97080 Wuerzburg Tel: +49 931 903-2243

  3. Re: Compiler Installation

    Joerg Behrens wrote:

    > > Of course, I'd really want the MIPSpro compilers, but I don't seem
    > > have the cd. Is there a way to transfer it/back it up off of the
    > > 2GB
    > > drive?

    > No.

    This is frustrating...perhaps I should find a way to just copy the 2GB
    drive to the 18, then try to clean up the install....

  4. Re: Compiler Installation

    Joerg Behrens wrote:

    > > Of course, I'd really want the MIPSpro compilers, but I don't seem
    > > have the cd. Is there a way to transfer it/back it up off of the
    > > 2GB
    > > drive?

    > No.

    This is frustrating...perhaps I should find a way to just copy the 2GB
    drive to the 18, then try to clean up the install....

  5. Re: Compiler Installation

    In article <1122676375.238220.304360@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>,
    dc_v01@yahoo.com wrote:

    >Joerg Behrens wrote:

    >> > Of course, I'd really want the MIPSpro compilers, but I don't seem
    >> > have the cd. Is there a way to transfer it/back it up off of the
    >> > 2GB
    >> > drive?

    >> No.

    >This is frustrating...perhaps I should find a way to just copy the 2GB
    >drive to the 18, then try to clean up the install....

    Easy, as long as you can find a way to hook the 18GB drive up as a
    second drive--reinstall the 2GB as the system drive and go through the
    system disc clone process--you can always clone to a larger drive.

    Gary

    --
    Gary Heston gheston@hiwaay.net
    The Intel ASCI Red supercomputer placed first in the 11/97 list of

  6. Re: Compiler Installation

    schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    news:1122676375.238220.304360@g43g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...

    > Joerg Behrens wrote:
    >>
    >> > Of course, I'd really want the MIPSpro compilers, but I don't
    >> > seem
    >> > have the cd. Is there a way to transfer it/back it up off of the
    >> > 2GB
    >> > drive?

    >> No.

    > This is frustrating...perhaps I should find a way to just copy the
    > 2GB
    > drive to the 18, then try to clean up the install....

    Its easy to clone the whole disk to a new one. But you cant transfer
    only the mips cc releated stuff to a new installation. Ian have a good
    howto clone a disk.

    regards
    Joerg

  7. Re: Compiler Installation

    Thanks Joerg!

    I'm considering cloning the disk, but worried the Irix installation is
    too messed up. I may have to dump the compilers. I would have thought
    there's a way to copy over some directories and modify some config text
    files...but reality is frustrating....

+ Reply to Thread