SGI 320 Instablity - SGI

This is a discussion on SGI 320 Instablity - SGI ; I have been problems with a SGI 320 system that I own, the computer will reboot at random times, which is currently a major problem as I am still in the process of trying to get Windows 2000 installed on ...

  1. SGI 320 Instablity

    I have been problems with a SGI 320 system that I own, the computer will
    reboot at random times, which is currently a major problem as I am still in
    the process of trying to get Windows 2000 installed on it.

    If anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate it.

  2. Re: SGI 320 Instablity

    "darkstar949" wrote:

    >I have been problems with a SGI 320 system that I own, the computer will
    >reboot at random times, which is currently a major problem as I am still in
    >the process of trying to get Windows 2000 installed on it.
    >
    >If anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate it.

    Have you seen the http://www.leupen.com/~remko/sgi/
    homepage?

    There is a tutorial for installing W2K
    http://www.leupen.com/~remko/sgi/Tut...nstall/W2K.htm

    Why it is rebooting, I have no idea. Sorry.

    /Bjorn

  3. Re: SGI 320 Instablity

    On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 05:02:53 GMT, "darkstar949" wrote:

    >I have been problems with a SGI 320 system that I own, the computer will
    >reboot at random times, which is currently a major problem as I am still in
    >the process of trying to get Windows 2000 installed on it.

    Are you using the original SGI USB during the install ? Using other makes can
    cause these reboots.

  4. Re: SGI 320 Instablity

    > Are you using the original SGI USB during the install ? Using other makes
    can
    > cause these reboots.

    It is in fact the original SGI USB keyboard that I have hooked up. However,
    it does seem to be rebooting on hard disk access if that is any help.

  5. Re: SGI 320 Instablity

    > Have you seen the http://www.leupen.com/~remko/sgi/
    > homepage?
    >
    > There is a tutorial for installing W2K
    > http://www.leupen.com/~remko/sgi/Tut...nstall/W2K.htm
    >
    > Why it is rebooting, I have no idea. Sorry.
    >
    > /Bjorn

    As it turns out that is the guide that I have been using to install,
    however, the restart problems are keeping me from completing the
    installation of Win2k.

  6. Re: SGI 320 Instablity

    On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 13:18:31 GMT, "darkstar949" wrote:

    >> Are you using the original SGI USB during the install ? Using other makes

    >can
    >> cause these reboots.

    >It is in fact the original SGI USB keyboard that I have hooked up. However,
    >it does seem to be rebooting on hard disk access if that is any help.

    Sorry, I mean't to say are you using the original SGI USB *Mouse*.

    For example Microsoft USB mice cause reboots / lockups during Win2K installs

  7. Re: SGI 320 Instablity

    > Sorry, I mean't to say are you using the original SGI USB *Mouse*.
    >
    > For example Microsoft USB mice cause reboots / lockups during Win2K

    installs
    As it turns out I have been using a Microsoft Optical USB mouse. I will try
    to install Win2k without the mouse plugged in (I have no other USB mouse)
    and see if that works.

    Thanks for the tip!

  8. Re: SGI 320 Instablity

    "darkstar949" wrote:

    >> Sorry, I mean't to say are you using the original SGI USB *Mouse*.
    >>
    >> For example Microsoft USB mice cause reboots / lockups during Win2K

    >installs
    >As it turns out I have been using a Microsoft Optical USB mouse. I will try
    >to install Win2k without the mouse plugged in (I have no other USB mouse)
    >and see if that works.
    >
    >Thanks for the tip!

    I think any old PS/2 style mouse will work if connected
    through connector in the original SGI keyboard.
    I have used old SGI, Microsoft and Logitech mice
    (whatever was closest at hand) connected to the
    keyboard.
    /Bjorn

  9. Re: SGI 320 Instablity

    > I think any old PS/2 style mouse will work if connected
    > through connector in the original SGI keyboard.
    > I have used old SGI, Microsoft and Logitech mice
    > (whatever was closest at hand) connected to the
    > keyboard.
    > /Bjorn

    Eh, as it turns out I don't have the orginal keyboard, it just a generic SGI
    USB keyboard. Any idea where I can get one of the orginals?

  10. Re: SGI 320 Instablity

    darkstar949 wrote:
    > I have been problems with a SGI 320 system that I own, the computer will
    > reboot at random times, which is currently a major problem as I am still in
    > the process of trying to get Windows 2000 installed on it.
    >
    > If anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate it.

    My experience of random reboots (although I've not seen any SGI kit do
    this) is either:

    1 - Bad PSU
    2 - Bad capacitors around the CPU voltage regulator

    Firstly, look at the capacitors around the VRM. Also google 'bad
    capacitors'. If they all look visually OK, see if you can
    beg/steal/borrow another PSU.

  11. Re: SGI 320 Instablity

    darkstar949 wrote:
    > I have been problems with a SGI 320 system that I own, the computer will
    > reboot at random times, which is currently a major problem as I am still in
    > the process of trying to get Windows 2000 installed on it.
    >
    > If anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate it.

    Hi,

    You have all memory´s banks full on your sgi 320 wile intalling w2k.
    Use only memory bank 0 when install a new OS of w2k there is a problem
    when you use memory banks 0 and 1 wile installing a new OS of W2K.
    I had no problem at all when using the generic usb mouse and keyboard.

    Regards,

    Cor

  12. Re: SGI 320 Instablity

    > You have all memory´s banks full on your sgi 320 wile intalling w2k.
    > Use only memory bank 0 when install a new OS of w2k there is a problem
    > when you use memory banks 0 and 1 wile installing a new OS of W2K.
    > I had no problem at all when using the generic usb mouse and keyboard.

    Thanks for the information - I will try and re-install the OS w/o the second
    bank of memory installed and see what happens.

+ Reply to Thread