Need IRIX help bad... - SGI

This is a discussion on Need IRIX help bad... - SGI ; Wow! I think I may be in over my head. I picked up an old SGI Indy and finally managed to get my Mac Quadra 700 to connect as a serial console. Now I'm having a devilish time trying to ...

  1. Need IRIX help bad...

    Wow! I think I may be in over my head. I picked up an old SGI Indy and
    finally managed to get my Mac Quadra 700 to connect as a serial console.
    Now I'm having a devilish time trying to get anything to boot properly on
    the Indy.

    I've taken the opportunity to capture the boot messages from the console and
    include them below. I can't make heads or tails of this stuff so I was
    hoping somebody here could help me out. I've spent the better part of the
    day in front of Google looking for help but have been unlucky thusfar.
    Personally, I think I'm in need of a fresh IRIX install. Any suggestions?

    Does anyone know if there's a server anywhere on the Internet that I could
    use to install IRIX 6.2 on my Indy? I read that IRIX 6.2 is free.

    Thanks for any help/comments/suggestions/insults/laughter.

    System Maintenance Menu

    1) Start System
    2) Install System Software
    3) Run Diagnostics
    4) Recover System
    5) Enter Command Monitor

    Option? 1

    Starting up the system...

    IRIX Release 6.2 IP22 Version 03131015 System V
    Copyright 1987-1996 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
    All Rights Reserved.

    The root file system, /dev/dsk/dks0d1s0, is being checked automatically.

    fsck: checking /dev/dsk/dks0d1s0

    ** Phase 1 - Check Blocks and Sizes
    ** Phase 2 - Check Pathnames
    ** Phase 3 - Check Connectivity
    ** Phase 4 - Check Reference Counts
    ** Phase 5 - Check Free List
    23948 files 1428216 blocks 383016 free

    REMOUNT ROOT? yes

    ***** REMOUNTING ROOT . . . *****
    Jul 5 21:47:49 xlv_labd[36]: There are no XLV labels on any disks.
    The system is coming up.

    mount: disk.srv:/exports/dist-linux server not responding: Port mapper
    failure -
    Timed out
    mount: backgrounding
    /nfs/cquest/disk/dist-linux
    mount: disk.srv:/exports/local-src server not responding: Port mapper
    failure -
    Timed out
    mount: backgrounding
    /local/src
    mount: disk.srv:/exports/staff0 server not responding: Port mapper failure -
    Tim
    ed out
    mount: backgrounding
    /homes/staff/u0
    mount: disk.srv:/exports/students0 server not responding: Port mapper
    failure -
    Timed out
    mount: backgrounding
    /homes/students/u0
    mount: mail.srv:/var/spool/postoffice server not responding: Port mapper
    failure
    - Timed out
    mount: backgrounding
    /var/spool/postoffice
    mount: mail.srv:/var/spool/mnt server not responding: Port mapper failure -
    Time
    d out
    mount: backgrounding
    /var/spool/mnt
    mount: server.esc:/misc server not responding: Port mapper failure - Timed
    out
    mount: backgrounding
    /nfs/cquest/esc/misc
    mount: server.pgb:/geog server not responding: Port mapper failure - Timed
    out
    mount: backgrounding
    /nfs/cquest/pgb/geog
    mount: server.pgb:/usr/people server not responding: Port mapper failure -
    Timed
    out
    mount: backgrounding
    /usr/people
    mount: server.pgb:/local/mnt server not responding: Port mapper failure -
    Timed
    out
    NFS version 3 mount failed, trying NFS version 2
    mount: retrying
    /local/mnt
    NFS version 3 mount failed, trying NFS version 2
    NFS version 3 mount failed, trying NFS version 2
    NFS version 3 mount failed, trying NFS version 2
    NFS version 3 mount failed, trying NFS version 2
    ^[NFS version 3 mount failed, trying NFS version 2
    NFS version 3 mount failed, trying NFS version 2
    NFS version 3 mount failed, trying NFS version 2

  2. Re: Need IRIX help bad...

    In article , You wrote:
    :> This message is in MIME format.

    Please don't post in MIME format. HTML is not appropriate in
    discussion groups (other than HTML newsgroups that is.)

    :I've taken the opportunity to capture the boot messages from the console and
    :include them below. I can't make heads or tails of this stuff so I was

    :Personally, I think I'm in need of a fresh IRIX install.

    Probably not that drastic.

    oes anyone know if there's a server anywhere on the Internet that I could
    :use to install IRIX 6.2 on my Indy? I read that IRIX 6.2 is free.

    That is incorrect.

    The closest one gets to that is that in northern Europe, the policy has
    been that if you get a used SGI machine, you are allowed to install the
    last version of IRIX known to have been legitimately licensed for the
    machine. If you don't have access to the appropriate records, then the
    policy there is that you can install the -first- version of IRIX that
    would possibly work on the machine [since one knows that the version it
    was sold with couldn't have been any earlier.]

    That European policy reflects EU directives on copyright and licensing,
    and is NOT the SGI policy in North America. The SGI policy in North
    America is that if the seller did not have you sign a written license
    transfer agreement, then the seller did not transfer the license rights
    -- so the last person in the continuous chain of transfer agreements
    would continue to have the license rights even though they no longer
    own the hardware! No matter that there is no way under the SGI
    licenses for them to ever -use- those license rights, since the license
    rights aren't even transferable between different machines that one
    owns...

    Unless your Indy happens to be a -very- late CPU speed that wasn't
    introduced until IRIX 6.2 [and there aren't many of those!], then even
    if you could convince SGI to apply the EU type policies, you would
    be limited to IRIX 5.0 (R4000), IRIX 5.2 (R4600 or lower-speed
    R4400), or IRIX 5.3 (R5000 or higher speed R4400). There were
    no new models or CPU families of Indy introduced after IRIX 5.3...
    but -maybe- the last generation of R5000 spees wasn't introduced
    until then.

    Which is a long way of saying that your source was wrong.

    :mount: disk.srv:/exports/dist-linux server not responding: Port mapper failure - Timed out

    Your machine has been configured to attempt to do NFS filesystem
    mounts, but the hosts you are trying to mount from don't exist
    on your network.

    If you are really unlucky, the device has been configured
    "diskless": if so then you may indeed need a reinstall. But
    that's not particularily likely given the traces you posted.

    :System Maintenance Menu

    :1) Start System
    :2) Install System Software
    :3) Run Diagnostics
    :4) Recover System
    :5) Enter Command Monitor

    :Option? 1

    Instead of choosing 1, choose 5, and at the prompt you get,
    enter the command single
    Once you are in as root, edit /etc/fstab to comment out the
    nfs mounts, chkconfig nfs off and then reboot.

    If you can't log on to root because you don't have the old
    root password, then there are various ways to proceed, the
    easiest of which rely upon having a copy of the install disks
    (but don't actually recall a resinstall.)

  3. Re: Need IRIX help bad...

    In article , You wrote:

    : Personally, I think I'm in need of a fresh IRIX install. Any suggestions?

    That would be appropriate for your situation. It's usually prudent to make a
    clean OS install any time you get a new system, as you never know what the
    person before you might have screwed up.

    You could, in theory, recover the existing installation, but you would be much
    better served by finding yourself a set of IRIX 6.5 media. You'll need it
    eventually anyway.

    Cheers - Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler

  4. Re: Need IRIX help bad...

    Thomas Jahns wrote:
    >roberson@mts.net (Walter Roberson) writes:

    [ SGI licensing ]

    >> That European policy reflects EU directives on copyright and licensing,
    >> and is NOT the SGI policy in North America. The SGI policy in North

    >That's because despite all the legalese on the media packs, it's not
    >possible to sell a copy of a piece of software without the rights to use
    >in most European countries.

    So, as a hobbyist you do the following (lifted from an earlier posting):

    1) Acquire a 6.5 kit on Ebay (cost ~ EUR 100 or less) or elsewhere.

    2) Register your SGI machine at techsupport.sgi.com for a free maintenance
    support contract. They ask for a serial number, which is really the
    computer's MAC adress.

    3) Download the maintenance upgrade kit, currently at 6.5.22m, and also
    download all relevant patches, notably patch 5086.

    4) Read install instructions & install 6.5.

    5) Read patch & upgrade instructions and do likewise.

    Voila: an as good as new Irix installation.

    If your kit is too old: run NetBSD.

    >So don't expect to see software for rent in Europe unless some major
    >breakthrough in software engineering happened to prevent all kinds of
    >software errors most of us experience daily.

    An invasion or massive bribery by the large merkin software companies is
    far easier, quicker, and cheaper.

    I'm _so_ glad that the idiotic software patent bill proposal was binned
    today. Until the next round.

    scs

+ Reply to Thread